Is it safe to call GSP the Godfather of Lay and Pray?

ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,013Free
edited May 2012 in UFC
Often, you hear fans, fighters, and commentators refer to Mark "The Hammer" Coleman as the Godfather of Ground and Pound. After all, he did start it right? It became his go to move and trademark.

This led me to thinking, can we now refer to GSP as the Godfather of LnP? It only makes sense right?

I appreciate your guys input, discuss plz...

Post edited by ShannonRitch1p4p on

Comments

• Melvinj0Melvinj0 Posts: 6,492Free
    edited May 2012
    Why you butthurt though?
    Fight Bet Record - 13 - 11 - 1

Play The "TUF 16" Game (Win Prizes) - http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar...15#post287
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    edited May 2012
    Mark Coleman sucks ...

that's right Mr_Bucket .. suck my ****

not directed at op
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    edited May 2012
  • shinsplintshinsplint Posts: 58,742Banned Users
    edited May 2012
    Melvinj0;2628031 said:
    Why you butthurt though?
    Mate TS isn't BUTTHURT.
    Proud Lyoto & Toquinho fanboy

Do not break rule No.1

WARNING: Drunken mods ban for quoting Tweets.
  • WD_40WD_40 Posts: 1,095Free
    edited May 2012
    ShannonRitch1p4p;2628024 said:
    Often, you hear fans, fighters, and commentators refer to Mark "The Hammer" Coleman as the Godfather of Ground and Pound. After all, he did start it right? It became his go to move and trademark.

This led me to thinking, can we now refer to GSP as the Godfather of LnP? It only makes sense right?

I appreciate your guys input, discuss plz...

all these threads about GSP, you guys really have a chub for that frenchie don't ya?

and that bones jones guy too, obsessed
    Top Fighters:

Mark Hunt

Jamie Te Huna

Alan Belcher

Matt Riddle

Frankie Edgar

Dustin Poirier

Alex Caceres

Jon Dodson
  • freddievanhalen3freddievanhalen3 Posts: 7,197Registered Users
    edited May 2012
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,013Free
    edited May 2012
    SteelerNation43;2628035 said:
    who cares.
    It is important to look back on. When guys GnP now a days we refer back to Coleman and his GnP tactics. So in 10-20 years when this sport is overrun by Wrasslers' we as fans can give GSP credit for being the godfather of LnP. It only makes sense, right?
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628037 said:
    all these threads about GSP, you guys really have a chub for that frenchie don't ya?

That you Phil ?

Do not break rule No.1

edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628037 said:

This isn't even a hate thread bro. I'm just wondering, because in 10-20 years we will need to know who the godfather of LnP is when it happens more often. Kind of like what happened with The Hammer. So do you agree or not? Thnx.
    edited May 2012
    shinsplint;2628046 said:
    That you Phil ?
    who's phil? its kinda creepy cuz my name actually is phil, your creeping me out now
    Top Fighters:

Mark Hunt

Jamie Te Huna

Alan Belcher

Matt Riddle

Frankie Edgar

Dustin Poirier

Alex Caceres

Jon Dodson
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628049 said:
    who's phil? its kinda creepy cuz my name actually is phil, your creeping me out now
    Lmao!
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    edited May 2012
    Better blame the stupid ****ing Gracies ... Royce and his "Hug and Tug" ********
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
    edited May 2012
    freddievanhalen3;2628041 said:
    I think its safe to say yes
    Agreed. Thnx for you're input bro.
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    edited May 2012
    ShannonRitch1p4p;2628044 said:
    It is important to look back on. When guys GnP now a days we refer back to Coleman and his GnP tactics. So in 10-20 years when this sport is overrun by Wrasslers' we as fans can give GSP credit for being the godfather of LnP. It only makes sense, right?
    edited May 2012
    ShannonRitch1p4p;2628048 said:
    This isn't even a hate thread bro. I'm just wondering, because in 10-20 years we will need to know who the godfather of LnP is when it happens more often. Kind of like what happened with The Hammer. So do you agree or not? Thnx.
    LOL i can agree yes, i just hate annoying GSP JBJ Silva is a can threads, top three guys in the sport (arguably)

*insert famous quote about pack of dirty haters and successful people that i don't really know enough to write without sounding like an idiot which i realize i kinda sound like now anyways*
    Top Fighters:

Mark Hunt

Jamie Te Huna

Alan Belcher

Matt Riddle

Frankie Edgar

Dustin Poirier

Alex Caceres

Jon Dodson
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628049 said:
    ShannonRitch1p4p;2628050 said:
    Lmao!
    Ha, ROFL...

Called it without even checking his IP.

Do not break rule No.1

• Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
    edited May 2012
    Shannon - It's accurate to call him the Godfather of Lay and Pray. He should also be called Mr. Decision or The Decision Man.
    discuss thanx
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628060 said:
    LOL i can agree yes, i just hate annoying GSP JBJ Silva is a can threads, top three guys in the sport (arguably)

*insert famous quote about pack of dirty haters and successful people that i don't really know enough to write without sounding like an idiot which i realize i kinda sound like now anyways*
    GSP is not a can. Going down as the Godfather of Lay and Pray is a prestigious honor. He might even get it engraved on his tombstone.
    edited May 2012
    shinsplint;2628062 said:
    Ha, ROFL...

Called it without even checking his IP.
    seriously i have no idea who any of you people are, i am currently getting the tin foil out, you creepy bastards
    Top Fighters:

Mark Hunt

Jamie Te Huna

Alan Belcher

Matt Riddle

Frankie Edgar

Dustin Poirier

Alex Caceres

Jon Dodson
  • Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628073 said:
    seriously i have no idea who any of you people are, i am currently getting the tin foil out, you creepy bastards
    I'm actually staring at you right now, through the camera on your laptop.
    discuss thanx
    edited May 2012
    WD_40;2628073 said:
    This is true.

My hidden camera does not lie.

Do not break rule No.1

• PenguPengu Posts: 4,130Free
    edited May 2012
    yes the god father of LNP-would be funny if he was known as that when he retires
    Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all Night! All day!

Osu!

edited May 2012
    Pengu;2628120 said:
    yes the god father of LNP-would be funny if he was known as that when he retires
    Your AV ~

Do not break rule No.1

edited May 2012
    Pengu;2628120 said:
    He is well on his way if you ask me..
  • thesoulpowerthesoulpower Posts: 4,476Free
    edited May 2012
    It's safe to say I've enjoyed this break from GSP fights I don't care if it blocks up a division.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,237Free
    edited May 2012
    No more like the grandson or great grandson

Watch that 30 minute Royce vs Ken Shamrock fight to see the godfather of lay and pray in action. That's pretty much when it started.

Ones lay and pray bottom, the other lay and pray top.
    edited May 2012
    StompGrind;2628158 said:
    No more like the grandson or great grandson

Watch that 30 minute Royce vs Ken Shamrock fight to see the godfather of lay and pray in action. That's pretty much when it started.

Ones lay and pray bottom, the other lay and pray top.
    Yeah if that was the father of LnP, Tito vs Wanderlei was the son of LnP, and GSP modern day is the grandson of lay and pray.

It all makes sense know. Tis the Holy Trinity of Lay and Pray.
  • iH8LnPiH8LnP Posts: 1,180Banned Users
    edited May 2012
  • SURVIVOR78SURVIVOR78 Posts: 1,094Free
    edited May 2012
    He's going to be the Godfather of I am not the champion and will never be again. The average Joe doesn't understand the magnitude of the injury he sustained. Even if he comes back. There is a very good chance he will never be the same fighter. If anyone has a chance of coming back its surely him. With his work ethic a no quit attitude. It would truly be a shame for him to go out like that. Now Dominic Cruz is definitely finished, he sustained basically the same exact injury but he is half the man of GSP. In addition to that, the fighting style Cruz employs will be compromised indefinitely due to this energy. No more bouncing around the ring like a ping pong ball and his footwork and lateral movement will go straight down the schidt pipe. I can't stand the guy, but I feel terrible for him to suffer an injury of that magnitude, especially when his game cannot survive with compromised knees at any level let alone the big daddy. Hell your out for a year just for starters most guys can never recover from the atrophy.
  • Rumble170cHAMPRumble170cHAMP Posts: 3,751Free
    edited May 2012
    SURVIVOR78;2628401 said:
    He's going to be the Godfather of I am not the champion and will never be again. The average Joe doesn't understand the magnitude of the injury he sustained. Even if he comes back. There is a very good chance he will never be the same fighter. If anyone has a chance of coming back its surely him. With his work ethic a no quit attitude. It would truly be a shame for him to go out like that. Now Dominic Cruz is definitely finished, he sustained basically the same exact injury but he is half the man of GSP. In addition to that, the fighting style Cruz employs will be compromised indefinitely due to this energy. No more bouncing around the ring like a ping pong ball and his footwork and lateral movement will go straight down the schidt pipe. I can't stand the guy, but I feel terrible for him to suffer an injury of that magnitude, especially when his game cannot survive with compromised knees at any level let alone the big daddy. Hell your out for a year just for starters most guys can never recover from the atrophy.
    i understand the severity of the injuries sustained by both fighters but multiple instances in professional sports where an athlete has become better than previous to the injury is well documented especially in basketball where lateral movement is key. so to say they are finished is pretty ridiculous, it all boils down to how they take therapy. if they do everything the are told to do to a tee they can move the same as before sometimes better. it is possible that they will be affected but in no way a guarantee
    The best

1. Bones

2. Pettis

3.Rumble

4.Erick Silva

5. GSP

6. Sonnen

7.Cruz

Jon Jones current LHW and future HW champion of the world.

Anthony Pettis is the real LW cham