UFC 1: What if Tyson had accepted?

NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
edited November 2012 in UFC
I had heard rumors (never confirmed if it was true or not) that Mike Tyson was originally offered a fight in the UFC at their first event. Now whether or not it's true, you have to admit that is really intriguing. Can you imagine if Tyson had competed at UFC 1?

Who do you think would've been his most interesting match-up?
How would he have done?
Would we have a VERY different UFC history today if Tyson had competed in the first tournaments?

Since everyone else says it I might as well, "Discuss." :D
Post edited by NikkiNeversleep on

Comments

• sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    edited November 2012
    I think he could have coasted to the finals .. where he would have either been taken down and submitted by Royce who I'm sure would have been WAYYYYYYYY more cautious getting up close ... or Tyson would have beaten him to death and the UFC may not have taken off.
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    edited November 2012
    sobercuban;2944110 said:
    I think he could have coasted to the finals .. where he would have either been taken down and submitted by Royce who I'm sure would have been WAYYYYYYYY more cautious getting up close ... or Tyson would have beaten him to death and the UFC may not have taken off.
    Or maybe taken off more? Well popularity anyways early on. Tyson was a household name, him competing at all would've drawn in more views.
    edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944113 said:
    Or maybe taken off more? Well popularity anyways early on. Tyson was a household name, him competing at all would've drawn in more views.
    I think a lot of the mystery and allure of the early events came, not only at the 'no rules' gimmick but in Royce's dominance despite his stature.

If Iron Mike went in there and murdered everyone in a bloodthirsty rage it would have played out exactly the way everyone would have expected and not the way it did with a small guy in his PJs making big guys quit.

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    edited November 2012
    Tyson would have destroyed everyone in the competition. MMA would have been put on the global map instantly and the UFC would have been a worldwide recogonised brand from day one.

edited November 2012
    sobercuban;2944114 said:
    I think a lot of the mystery and allure of the early events came, not only at the 'no rules' gimmick but in Royce's dominance despite his stature.

If Iron Mike went in there and murdered everyone in a bloodthirsty rage it would have played out exactly the way everyone would have expected and not the way it did with a small guy in his PJs making big guys quit.
    Also true, but would Tyson have been more fun to watch? People could've gotten exactly what they wanted, and if Royce could've worked Tyson at all in grappling(didnt have to win) that alone would've shown there was more to fighting than people knew.
    edited November 2012
    fobar;2944115 said:
    Tyson would have destroyed everyone in the competition. MMA would have been put on the global map instantly and the UFC would have been a worldwide recogonised brand from day one.
    PATSTER;2944116 said:
    He would have destroyed EVERYONE
    You guys dont see anyone giving him trouble?
    edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944117 said:
    Also true, but would Tyson have been more fun to watch? People could've gotten exactly what they wanted, and if Royce could've worked Tyson at all in grappling(didnt have to win) that alone would've shown there was more to fighting than people knew.
    oh yeah they would have definitely hit big PPV #s I just think it might have run the risk of being a 'fad'

edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944118 said:
    no, Tyson was a street fighter turned boxer, it would have suited him perfectly.

edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944118 said:
    who? the sumo guy? :)

edited November 2012
    sobercuban;2944119 said:
    oh yeah they would have definitely hit big PPV #s I just think it might have run the risk of being a 'fad'
    Unless Tyson had learned some grappling and pulled a powerhouse Rampage with better hands and actually stayed a dominant champ. Can you imagine him cutting to 205 and fighting Tito? Or Iceman? :eek:
    fobar;2944120 said:
    no, Tyson was a street fighter turned boxer, it would have suited him perfectly.
    I've always thought he would've done really well in MMA, because he was a street fighter. But really no one?? No even like Shamrock?? Or Gracie??
    sobercuban;2944122 said:
    who? the sumo guy? :)
    LOL I was thinking more like Shamrock or Gracie, I think Tyson could beat them both, but as for easily.... maybe Shamrock lol. I heard Gracie was a legend though.:confused:
    edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944127 said:
    Unless Tyson had learned some grappling and pulled a powerhouse Rampage with better hands and actually stayed a dominant champ. Can you imagine him cutting to 205 and fighting Tito? Or Iceman? :eek:

I've always thought he would've done really well in MMA, because he was a street fighter. But really no one?? No even like Shamrock?? Or Gracie??

LOL I was thinking more like Shamrock or Gracie, I think Tyson could beat them both, but as for easily.... maybe Shamrock lol. I heard Gracie was a legend though.:confused:
    I cannot see anyone that could have beaten him at that event. He would have been one of the best MMA fighters ever

edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944127 said:

The thing about Gracie was he was small and fighting guys that weren't exactly world class athletes. I mean .. technically he is THE legend but he wasn't exactly multi-faceted in the early days. He would have had a pretty hard ****ing time against a top-of-the-foodchain combat athlete

Tyson would have clobbered most of the big names early on too .. at least IMO

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    edited November 2012
    NikkiNeversleep;2944106 said:
    I had heard rumors (never confirmed if it was true or not) that Mike Tyson was originally offered a fight in the UFC at their first event. Now whether or not it's true, you have to admit that is really intriguing. Can you imagine if Tyson had competed at UFC 1?

Who do you think would've been his most interesting match-up?
    How would he have done?
    Would we have a VERY different UFC history today if Tyson had competed in the first tournaments?

Since everyone else says it I might as well, "Discuss." :D
    Every mma fighter would of simply took him down and GnP or submitted him;)...simply put he would be obsolete in the cage:cool:
  • American_WarmasterAmerican_Warmaster Posts: 152Banned Users
    edited November 2012
    How delusional are you people? Stop talking about Gracie just because he won the tournament in which he defeated one legit fighter with a RNC using his SLEEVE.

At this point in time the number 1 shootfighter on the planet was only 29 years old and not plagued with injuries.

Ken Shamrock gets no credit but he would take Tyson down and break his leg in under a minute. Blee dat homies...
    edited November 2012
    American_Warmaster;2944143 said:
    How delusional are you people? Stop talking about Gracie just because he won the tournament in which he defeated one legit fighter with a RNC using his SLEEVE.

At this point in time the number 1 shootfighter on the planet was only 29 years old and not plagued with injuries.

Ken Shamrock gets no credit but he would take Tyson down and break his leg in under a minute. Blee dat homies...
    I see you feel strongly

who dis is?

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    edited November 2012
    Tyson would KO anyone before they could take him down
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    edited November 2012
    fobar;2944134 said:
    I cannot see anyone that could have beaten him at that event. He would have been one of the best MMA fighters ever
    He had the capability for sure.
    sobercuban;2944135 said:
    The thing about Gracie was he was small and fighting guys that weren't exactly world class athletes. I mean .. technically he is THE legend but he wasn't exactly multi-faceted in the early days. He would have had a pretty hard ****ing time against a top-of-the-foodchain combat athlete

Tyson would have clobbered most of the big names early on too .. at least IMO
    Ahhh i think i understand now.
    JohnnyZadar;2944142 said:
    Every mma fighter would of simply took him down and GnP or submitted him;)...simply put he would be obsolete in the cage:cool:
    He was also a street fighter and knew a little something about getting held down it wouldnt be so easy to get him down at all.
    American_Warmaster;2944143 said:

I'm kinda getting the feeling that people think Gracie is overrated. And also, no way does Ken beat Tyson in a minute, he'd spend 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to get close enough to take him down without getting killed.
    edited November 2012
    Yesterdays_Hero;2944149 said:
    Gracie would have submitted him.
    still getting the feeling that Gracie is overrated? Yes no maybe? And it wouldnt be an easy task getting Tyson down. Especially if Royce tried to grab him and Tyson hit him. No one at UFC 1 hit like Tyson. No one.
    carnages41;2944151 said:
    Tyson would KO anyone before they could take him down
    Seems to be the belief.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,265Free
    edited November 2012
    A. Tyson goes in and KO's everyone

B. Tyson breaks his hand in the first fight and pulls out.

C. Tyson makes it to the finals and gets choked out by Royce.

I think B is the most likely.

The gracie family challenged Tyson and many other fighting legends before UFC 1.
  • TheHarbingerTheHarbinger Posts: 6,779Free
    edited November 2012
    LoL...

You guys serious? He was an incredibly dangerous boxer/power puncher who had never had to defend a take down or submission in his life. If it went to the ground it would have been over FAST.

Tyson properly schooled in wrestling/BJJ with LOTS of prep time? A different story.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    edited November 2012
    TheHarbinger;2944162 said:
    LoL...

You guys serious? He was an incredibly dangerous boxer/power puncher who had never had to defend a take down or submission in his life. If it went to the ground it would have been over FAST.

Tyson properly schooled in wrestling/BJJ with LOTS of prep time? A different story.
    All Tyson would need is one punch, body or head.....and the guy would be done
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • TheHarbingerTheHarbinger Posts: 6,779Free
    edited November 2012
    carnages41;2944166 said:
    All Ken or Royce would need is one take down.
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    edited November 2012
    carnages41;2944166 said:
    hed get that how:confused:...with leg kicks ,shooting in on his legs:D
    edited November 2012
    carnages41;2944166 said:
    That's all James Toney needed too....
    edited November 2012
    StompGrind;2944161 said:
    A. Tyson goes in and KO's everyone

B. Tyson breaks his hand in the first fight and pulls out.

C. Tyson makes it to the finals and gets choked out by Royce.

I think B is the most likely.

The gracie family challenged Tyson and many other fighting legends before UFC 1.
    There was never enough money in it was the excuse I heard. But really I dont think those guys were capable of taking hits like Tyson threw, if Tyson broke his hand, yeah thats the most logical way of him losing. I'd see him beating everyone if he could prevent breaking anything of his own lol.
    TheHarbinger;2944162 said:
    LoL...

Tyson had been in multiple street fights in his lifetime, and lets be honest the early UFC was little more than a street fight in a cage i say this after having just watched them today, thats where the whole Tyson thing came to mind. He wouldn't be as good a grappler as Gracie or Ken but who says he'd have to be? Fights end in a split second and if anyone can knock you out in a split second in the 90s? It was Tyson. I appreciated that you said IF it goes to the ground though, thats a tall order.
    edited November 2012
    StompGrind;2944161 said:

Bet $$ they wouldn't have chosen Royce to represent the family if a guy like Tyson was in there

edited November 2012
    JohnnyZadar;2944169 said:
    hed get that how:confused:...with leg kicks ,shooting in on his legs:D
    2 Words, Tyson Uppercut. ;)
    edited November 2012
    StompGrind;2944170 said:
    That's all James Toney needed too....
    lol James Toney is and never was a Mike Tyson

tyson would have no problem taken them down a beating that crap out of them. dude was a high level athlete, unlike most mma fighters of that era and a true boxer and street fighter

edited November 2012
    sobercuban;2944173 said:
    Bet $$ they wouldn't have chosen Royce to represent the family if a guy like Tyson was in there
    Im almost certain it was the family champion Rickson that was preposed in the offer.