Is Rory really a big welterweight?

MarkeeMarkee Posts: 633Registered Users
edited December 2012 in UFC
On MMA radio today one thing I kind of agreed with was when Rory said he didn't really understand why people claim he's a big welterweight.
He's not wrong. He looks big next to BJ Penn but he's far from being the biggest guy out there. Condit is 6'2. Rory specifically said that Che Mills was huge. MacDonald just isn't a small Welterweight.
Is he getting unfairly labelled as a big WW just because he's on a winning streak?
Post edited by Markee on

Comments

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,165Free
    edited December 2012
    Macdonald is one of the bigger guys out there. He was massive against BJ, a LW. He was as tall as Condit and more built. And he def seemed to be bigger than Mills when they fought. Any other WW that may be bigger than him is GSP (GSP is the biggest WW in the division..Nobody is bigger or stronger than him in that weightclass..) maybe Johny Hendricks and Thiago Alves. Everybody else I'm sure he'll be bigger than them.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • MarkeeMarkee Posts: 633Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I think Alves is bigger then him but shorter, Condit is taller just more slender. Mills is taller and just a little less thick. It's been a while but I really didn't see much of a size difference between Nate Diaz and MacDonald when they fought.
    Hardy is the same height so who knows.
    I don't think Rory's size is all that big of a deal. He would have better potential to move up though.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    edited December 2012
    Compared to GSP, Rory is small
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    edited December 2012
    WarWest;2988615 said:
    What is small to you? If two fighters fight at catch weight you could ask everyone which fighter is bigger and get a 50/50 split. GSP is muscular but he certainly isn't tall.
    Would you feel more confident fighting a 170 pound guy who was 5'10 and muscular or a guy who was 6'2 and more slender? (skills being equal)
  • UB41UB41 Posts: 599Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Rory is a big WW in my opinion....I dont understand why people say GSP is a huge WW...Che Mills def not bigger the Rory.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    edited December 2012
    Simple case of people can't think for themselves,they hear Rogan mention it and everyone is all over it.
    He did not look massive beside Penn,he looked bigger yes but nothing to go WOW !.

You can easily tell who the bigger fighters are when they can't or struggle to make weight and Rory has never had any problem.
    Penn just looks smaller because he is a sloppy fighter,he does not train like a champion.Penn instead trains like someone who believes he is already the greatest fighter on earth.
    The worst part about watching Penn fight is NOTHING looks like a weight difference,he simply looks awful.I could see if he was trying to win a wrestling war and had good technique but was simply over sized but that is not the case.

I said BEFORE the fight exactly how Penn fights.He plods around on his lead left leg and looks for lazy jabs,he is a VERY poorly skilled fighter and even if yo uwant to argue he has skills,he never shows them.

Penn's age of 33 is a VERY poor excuse,that is NOT old.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    edited December 2012
    Markee;2988635 said:
    What is small to you? If two fighters fight at catch weight you could ask everyone which fighter is bigger and get a 50/50 split. GSP is muscular but he certainly isn't tall.
    Would you feel more confident fighting a 170 pound guy who was 5'10 and muscular or a guy who was 6'2 and more slender? (skills being equal)
    What's small to me?

Joe B.
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Hawkmma1Hawkmma1 Posts: 132Free
    edited December 2012
    WarWest;2988615 said:
    Huh? GSP walks around 185-190 before his weight cut and Rory weighs 185-190 as well before his weight cut. GSP has some more muscle mass because he is a few inches shorter but Rory is actually taller and weighs the same as GSP, and yes that is pretty damn big for a WW.
  • Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    edited December 2012
    Za1994;2988599 said:
    Macdonald is one of the bigger guys out there. He was massive against BJ, a LW. He was as tall as Condit and more built. And he def seemed to be bigger than Mills when they fought. Any other WW that may be bigger than him is GSP (GSP is the biggest WW in the division..Nobody is bigger or stronger than him in that weightclass..) maybe Johny Hendricks and Thiago Alves. Everybody else I'm sure he'll be bigger than them.
    LuLz

Condit is 6'2
    Rory is 6'0

Oh and to your second piece of garbage statement

Hardy
    Shields
    Fitch
    Koscheck
    Ellenberger
    Marquardt
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

JBJF is a good poster

edited December 2012
    UB41;2988637 said:
    Rory is a big WW in my opinion....I dont understand why people say GSP is a huge WW...Che Mills def not bigger the Rory.

JBJF is a good poster

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    edited December 2012
    he's on the larger side.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,259Free
    edited December 2012
    He is basically a MW

weight cutting tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    edited April 2013
    Bubba_Pilks;2989042 said:
    LuLz

Condit is 6'2
    Rory is 6'0

Oh and to your second piece of garbage statement

Hardy
    Shields
    Fitch
    Koscheck
    Ellenberger
    Marquardt
    ...You're a valued poster, and I appreciate what you bring to the debate. If Condit and Rory stood next to each other you wouldn't really be able to tell the height difference. They are about the same height, not to mention his body isn't even done growing yet.

Hardy isn't that big. Shields is a MW and had no right to fight at WW. Josh Koscheck is not bigger than Rory. Ellenberger is a bit shorter but Rory still outsizes him. Marquardt isn't in the UFC. So please, I'm taking out the trash. And that includes you. Not a lot of WW fighters are bigger than Rory. I see no point or discussion in you responding to my so called 'garbage statement' when its obviously a very fair assessment of his stature. What was the point of you quoting me again? I don't see it.
    Post edited by Solid_Snake on
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    edited December 2012
    Za1994;2989094 said:
    ...Your ****ing retarded. If Condit and Rory stood next to each other you wouldn't really be able to tell the height difference. They are about the same height, not to mention his body isn't even done growing yet.

Hardy isn't that big. Shields is a MW and had no right to fight at WW. Josh Koscheck is not bigger than Rory. Ellenberger is a bit shorter but Rory still outsizes him. Marquardt isn't in the UFC. So please, I'm taking out the trash. And that includes you. Not a lot of WW fighters are bigger than Rory. I see no point or discussion in you responding to my so called 'garbage statement' when its obviously a very fair assessment of his stature. What was the point of you quoting me again? I don't see it.
    why u not like Machida?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edited December 2012
    carnages41;2989095 said:
    why u not like Machida?
    He's overrated and RamGOAT destroyed him. :D
    Represent Roufusport:
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    edited December 2012
    Bubba_Pilks;2989054 said:

those images are pretty deceiving, he had a wide stance at the weigh ins while Mills was standing straight up. They are the same height and similar in muscle mass. They are both pretty large WW.
    edited December 2012
    Za1994;2989094 said:
    ...Your ****ing retarded. If Condit and Rory stood next to each other you wouldn't really be able to tell the height difference. They are about the same height, not to mention his body isn't even done growing yet.

You said same Rory and Mills were the same height. They're not. First garbage statement you made.

The list of fighters on the bottom were in regard to GSP, your second point. Garbage point, n?mero dos.

I even separated it for you.

Ya Donkey

JBJF is a good poster

edited April 2013
    Bubba_Pilks;2989104 said:
    You said same Rory and Mills were the same height. They're not. First garbage statement you made.

The list of fighters on the bottom were in regard to GSP, your second point. Garbage point, n?mero dos.

I even separated it for you.

Ya Donkey
    Rory and Mills? I never said Rory and Mills. I said Rory and Condit are about the same height. Go re-read. I think your eyes are smaller than mines. o.e

...You're ****ing sexy. I already reiterated what you said in my post. Keep calm and YOLO.
    Post edited by Solid_Snake on
    Represent Roufusport:
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    edited December 2012
    Za1994;2989105 said:
    Rory and Mills? I never said Rory and Mills. I said Rory and Condit are about the same height. Go re-read. I think your eyes are smaller than mines. o.e

...You're ****ing retarded. I already reiterated what you said in my post. Keep counting to potato.
    Condit is 2 inches taller than Macdonald. Like my first post said.

JBJF is a good poster

edited December 2012
    Bubba_Pilks;2989111 said:

I like your logic bruh

Nate Diaz is taller than Palhares and therefore weighs more

edited December 2012
    Za1994;2989101 said:
    He's overrated and RamGOAT destroyed him. :D
    good answer :)

• fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,244Free
    edited December 2012
    Za1994;2988599 said:
    So much fail in this ^ but I don't have the time to educate idiots right now:rolleyes:
    edited December 2012
    carnages41;2989115 said:
    I like your logic bruh

Nate Diaz is taller than Palhares and therefore weighs more
    It is logic, when someone says they're the same height, bruh

JBJF is a good poster

edited December 2012
    Bubba_Pilks;2989111 said:

Dude.... ZA has made so many stupid posts I don't know if he is a troll or just plain ****in stupid?
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,613Free
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    ^^ Hahaha

JBJF is a good poster

edited December 2012
    Anyone who thinks someone stepping into the octagon at 6 foot and 190 pounds is a small welterweight (170 pound division) is an idiot, really.
    edited December 2012
    I personally consider being taller a bigger advantage then being slightly thicker then your opponant. Especially when it gives you a reach advantage and long legs are great if you're on your back. I also don't find GSP to be all that big. Alves looked scarier then GSP in that fight. I haven't seen any evidence that muscle is all that important in MMA when fighters are roughly the same weight.
    Rory is a little lucky in that he's a good combination or tall and thick (with bigger joints) but I wouldn't say that he's bigger then everyone else.

When a fighter is cut like GSP it can be deceptive. I bet Condits bicep measurements are at least equal to GSP's.

edited December 2012
    Markee;2989139 said:
    I When a fighter is cut like GSP it can be deceptive. I bet Condits bicep measurements are at least equal to GSP's.]
    lol do you even lift?

edited December 2012
    Markee;2989139 said:
    I personally consider being taller a bigger advantage then being slightly thicker then your opponant. Especially when it gives you a reach advantage and long legs are great if you're on your back. I also don't find GSP to be all that big. Alves looked scarier then GSP in that fight. I haven't seen any evidence that muscle is all that important in MMA when fighters are roughly the same weight.
    Rory is a little lucky in that he's a good combination or tall and thick (with bigger joints) but I wouldn't say that he's bigger then everyone else.

When a fighter is cut like GSP it can be deceptive. I bet Condits bicep measurements are at least equal to GSP's.

This! ^ add to that the fact GSP is 5'10. Everybody that says GSP is huge are idiots. All this talk of big welterweights and small welterweights is complete nonesense. (90% of the fighters are within 3-5 pounds of each other on fight night.:rolleyes: