Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones' career

TrollsmasherTrollsmasher Posts: 385Free
edited January 2013 in UFC
Source: Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones' career

If Sonnen beats Jon Jones it would probably be one of the biggest upsets in UFC history. I'm a fan of Sonnen, but I just don't see him getting Jones to the ground. This will be a massacre.

Anybody giving Sonnen a chance?
Post edited by sparkart on

Comments

• megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited January 2013
    It would be tied with Matt Serra vs GSP I, as the biggest upset in UFC history.

• AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,069Free
    edited January 2013
    Lmao! I'll be surprised if Jones doesn't submit Chael in the first. I like Chael and hate Jones, but it's disgraceful for Jackson to act like Jones is facing real competition in this fight.
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    edited January 2013
    Chael will make it competitive. Mark my words!
    Believe in Beard
  • UFCisGSPUFCisGSP Posts: 6,938Free
    edited January 2013
    GSP_over_Silva;3014680 said:
    Chael will make it competitive. Mark my words!
    He will.

Would still lose though imho.
    Saint Pierre 9:23: "We're not impressed by your performance!"

Behind every successful person lies a pack of haters!

LW - Cerrone, WW - Rory, MW - Belcher, LHW<
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    edited January 2013
    Chael will not allow Jon Jones to implement his greg jackson gameplans, hence why it is a hard fight for him
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • GoldenAfroGoldenAfro Posts: 4,657Free
    edited January 2013
    Chael P. Sonnen is gonna smash this fool.

REAL TALK

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,619Free
    edited January 2013
    I don't know about that but Chael might actually be the aggressor unlike everyone else who fights Jones. That could be interesting for a minute or two..
  • GoldenAfroGoldenAfro Posts: 4,657Free
    edited January 2013
    Yesterdays_Hero;3014771 said:
    I don't know about that but Chael might actually be the aggressor unlike everyone else who fights Jones. That could be interesting for a minute or two..
    Yeah I love the wait for Jones to come to me while he picks me apart offense.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 443Free
    edited January 2013
    I am backing Chael, though I was a bit diasappointed with Silva 2, he just sat down...
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    edited January 2013
    Here's how I see it...

Going into the first chael/silva I thought this was the biggest mismatch ever. I had no idea how Chael got a title shot and thought it was such a joke to give him one. SOMEHOW Sonnen dominated Silva, which we've never seen happen in the UFC. So Sonnen obviously is skilled beyond what we give him credit for. However, I have a feeling this was due to being on the juice and Anderson having one significant weakness (TDD/Wrestling)

Seeing as though Jones has amazing TDD, a superior reach, and Sonnen is only on TRT now, I really don't see how Chael wins this

The only thing Chael has going for him in this fight is the negative fan/media attention that Jones has been given. I believe that the mental aspect is huge in fighting, and that is the only chance that Chael could win (if he was able to sufficiently get in Jones head, whether it be insulting or even befriending him...who knows)
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,746Free
    edited January 2013
    GoldenAfro;3014767 said:
    Chael P. Sonnen is gonna smash this fool.

REAL TALK
    Are you welching on an account bet from Silva/Sonnen 2?
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • TinychatBtarrdzTinychatBtarrdz Posts: 451Free
    What is this "if"? Sonnen is going to destroy that card killer jones.
    text
    CHAEL SONNEN WILL BE THE LAST FIGHT OF JON JONES' CAREER
    text
  • Hawkmma1Hawkmma1 Posts: 132Free
    Will be like Silva/Sonnen 2 without Chael taking him down in the first. Basically Jones by beating the s*** out of Sonnen anywhere he wants.
    I think Sonnen has the advantage everywhere except for size. His style works well against people like Jones.
    text
  • Hawkmma1Hawkmma1 Posts: 132Free

I think Sonnen has the advantage everywhere except for size. His style works well against people like Jones.

Jones has the advantage everywhere in my opinion, stand up easily, takedowns/defense, submissions. Only advantage Sonnen has is his mouth.
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,322Free
    "**** sport killer".

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• PenguPengu Posts: 4,130Free
    Sport killer says what?
    Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all Night! All day!

Osu!

• littlecalgary1littlecalgary1 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Anyone who thinks Chael can't take down Jones is crazy.
  • Anyone who thinks Chael can't take down Jones is crazy.

Lulz. He couldnt take down an average sized middleweight striker with consistancy. Good luck taking down a giant LHW wrestler and holding him down for 5 rds.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • xCappaxxCappax Posts: 96Elite
    I think this fight will be alot more closer then people think but in the end I think Jones takes him.
  • BirdhoundBirdhound Posts: 301Free
    Sonnen loses this fight all day long. People like to bring up the first Silva fight as an example of how great he is, but generally forget to mention the fact that he was on steroids and that Silva was injured. I think the rematch showed what a 'fair' fight between them looks like. Jones may have to work his way through Sonnen's cardio (which is the one thing he does have), but even if Chael takes him down, he already proved in the first Silva fight that he couldn't finish his dinner from top position, let alone a fighter with good defence. I see Jones winning by TKO or submission at the end of the first.
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Birdhound said:

Sonnen loses this fight all day long. People like to bring up the first Silva fight as an example of how great he is, but generally forget to mention the fact that he was on steroids and that Silva was injured. I think the rematch showed what a 'fair' fight between them looks like. Jones may have to work his way through Sonnen's cardio (which is the one thing he does have), but even if Chael takes him down, he already proved in the first Silva fight that he couldn't finish his dinner from top position, let alone a fighter with good defence. I see Jones winning by TKO or submission at the end of the first.

LOL. Fair? Oh, yeah. I forgot Silva didn't grab shorts, grease, and throw a knee to a grounded opponent.
    Believe in Beard

Birdhound said:

LOL. Fair? Oh, yeah. I forgot Silva didn't grab shorts, grease, and throw a knee to a grounded opponent.
    Well ok I see we have a Sonnen fan here. You do know there is a man called a referee who decides if a fighter is cheating? hes the guy in the black btw. What i was saying is that when Sonnen isn't taking PEDs and Silva is fit, then Silva is the better fighter. Sonnen couldn't finish a guy he had on his back for 23 minutes, you can't deny it and you can't make excuses for it.
  • R_A_P_musicR_A_P_music Posts: 61Free

Birdhound said:

Beautiful; and agreed, i don't think i have ever seen somebody get away with as much cheating as him that night.

Birdhound said:

that's not forbidden, kid.
    It is when it lands on the chin ala Silva/Sonnen 2
    edited January 2013

Birdhound said:

It is when it lands on the chin ala Silva/Sonnen 2
    you mean Silva/Sonnen 3? because there was no knee to the chin on Silva/Sonnen 2.
    Part of his leg landed on Sonnen's chin making it a leg strike to the head of a downed opponent, which is illegal
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on

Birdhound said:

the knee was to the head while he was on the ground you moron.
    edited January 2013

Birdhound said:

Hmm, no it wasn't?

AxQiQugCEAE4d6B_medium.jpg
    455 x 607 - 118K
    AxQiQugCEAE4d6B_medium.jpg
    455 x 607 - 118K
    Post edited by Birdhound on
    Birdhound said:

Birdhound said:

Hmm, no it wasn't?

think again.

silva caught3.jpg
    820 x 450 - 102K
    silva caught3.jpg
    820 x 450 - 102K