When will Brazilian/U.S. dominance end?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
90% of the world's best MMA fighters are from these 2 countries. You'd think with the global popularity of MMA this would change at some point

When do you think that the dominance of these 2 countries will end? If not, why do you think they dominate so much?

Comments

• BirdhoundBirdhound Posts: 301Free
    I would say its mainly because UFC management doesn't even look for fighters outside of the US and Brazil. IF a fighter from Europe (except the UK) or Asia does actually have a decent record, all that happens is Dana goes on twitter and tells all the nuthuggers that they suck anyway. Plus they have far too much money tied up in TUF to give actual fighters a chance in general.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    Birdhound said:

I would say its mainly because UFC management doesn't even look for fighters outside of the US and Brazil. IF a fighter from Europe (except the UK) or Asia does actually have a decent record, all that happens is Dana goes on twitter and tells all the nuthuggers that they suck anyway. Plus they have far too much money tied up in TUF to give actual fighters a chance in general.

I think that has a part in it...obviously the Fedor situation comes to mind
    edited January 2013
    Sisti said:

Birdhound said:

Yeah, i may have been venting a little there, but if you ignore the bit about Dana and twitter i honestly think those are the main reasons. I think this may be slowly changing, but we have definitely missed out on seeing a lot of great fighters in the octagon already (Hari, Manhoef and Mousasi come to mind as far as current fighters are concerned). They need to sign Musa Amagov asap. IMO hes gonna be a name to watch in the next couple of years.
    Post edited by Birdhound on
    I don't think those are the main reasons, but definitely contribute to this. You do have to give those 2 countries some serious credit. Being on my high school's wresting team (I'm from U.S.) it's insane how hard you get pushed just for being a decent high school wrestler. Nevermind what it would take to be a national-level college champ. America also has a long history of having outstanding boxers.

As far as Brazil goes, their jiu-jitsu is top-notch and above the rest of the world still. They have a tough culture and are able to consistently produce top fighters

Combine that with the fact that MMA is very big in those 2 countries, and it makes sense why they have so many great fighters. Also, world-class athletes aren't made overnight. Now that MMA is big in Australia/Canada/U.K/etc. the youth there now will be getting into MMA and 15 years from now is when you will start seeing world-class fighters from there
    I totally agree with the wrestling argument, there isn't many sports that push you that hard at such an early age, and wrestling is a great base for MMA. As for boxing, if you can box you don't go into MMA. I don't think theres much special about BJJ in Brazil except its what the Gracies did and its where they came from tbh, and theres some pretty tough places in Eastern Europe. Combat Sambo is very popular in Russia and has been for the last 50 or so years, but you don't see or hear anything about in the UFC for some reason. I think you hit the nail on the head at the end, i really hope that in 5 - 10 years there will be enough money in the sport to have multiple organisations (or at least regional UFC franchises in Europe and Asia), so that there is 3 or 4 belts to fight for in each weight class and MMA will actually have 'undisputed' champions as in boxing.
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Everyone else is at least ten years behind. It will take like you said ten to fifteen years before everyone else is at that level. Over here in the uk mma is still a small sport.
    US and Brazil will probably still dominate in 10 years time, population is the key.

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night, all day!

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• Mr_MousasiMr_Mousasi Posts: 547Free
    When the abundance of young Russian talent is given enough time to develop.
    I, Mr_Mousasi, am a loser thanks to Mr_Mousasi.

...and Alan Belcher
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    You gotta take in consideration lots of things but I gotta say population (look at the similar size among Brazil, US and Canada), time zone (hate when fights are in Europes time) and history.

On the other hand, I think if a fighter from any country IS VERY GOOD, eventually he will be in UFC. Truth is that we see fighters outside UFC and we think "Oh, this guy is the real deal" then if he gets in UFC he totally suck. I personally think UFC has "bright minds", experts in MMA who can tell who should UFC hire or not.

You gotta also remember that SOMETIMES, UFC will hire a fighter to make another orgazination look weak and to show everybody outside UFC is just hype. Look at Shields and Hector so far. Shields was the GOD in SF and today who knows where is him just. Forgotten just like SF will be. If UFC was so sure about Lombard, why they didnt give him an immediate title shot at Anderson ? No, they matched him up with a tough fighter (Boestch) and sarcastly he lost ....
  • BobmysterBobmyster Posts: 2,677Free
    This year gus will be lhw champion, bisping MW champion, overeem HW champion. So that's a sweede a Brit and a Dutch champion! Europe are not just good At golf mi old mucker! Oh yeah and pigs might fly......they will if you kick them hard enough!!!!
    *Michael Bisping Defence Force Co-Founder*

• OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,091Free

This. There's about ten Russians currently waiting to make boring American wrestlers cry in the cage

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION

• AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,069Free
    When more countries embrace wrestling.
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Mexico is already taking over.
    Believe in Beard
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    Ozpride said:

This. There's about ten Russians currently waiting to make boring American wrestlers cry in the cage
    More like the Turks...when they get BJJ down...damm

They already own us in pretty much everything wrestling
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • Sisti said:

90% of the world's best MMA fighters are from these 2 countries. You'd think with the global popularity of MMA this would change at some point

When do you think that the dominance of these 2 countries will end? If not, why do you think they dominate so much?

When Mike Ricci moves to lightweight and Rory moves to welterweight. Then Canada will dominate. haha

sig bet record: 1-1

follow me - @myMMAlife

Watching out of Mississauga, ON - Canada

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free

Sisti said:

When Mike Ricci moves to lightweight and Rory moves to welterweight. Then Canada will dominate. haha
    Rory is already at welterweight. :-/
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,619Free
    Gabri1985 said:

Everyone else is at least ten years behind. It will take like you said ten to fifteen years before everyone else is at that level. Over here in the uk mma is still a small sport.

And in 10 years when everyone else is at the Level that America/Brazil is at now, those two countries will be another 10 years better. So it probably wont ever even out.

Look at the animals coming up now that dont have a distinct base, they train straight MMA from day one. Thats going to be hard for the developing countries to contend with in the future.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• Me_Against_The_WorldMe_Against_The_World Posts: 7,885Registered Users
    Birdhound said:

Sisti said:

Birdhound said:

Yeah, i may have been venting a little there, but if you ignore the bit about Dana and twitter i honestly think those are the main reasons. I think this may be slowly changing, but we have definitely missed out on seeing a lot of great fighters in the octagon already (Hari, Manhoef and Mousasi come to mind as far as current fighters are concerned). They need to sign Musa Amagov asap. IMO hes gonna be a name to watch in the next couple of years.
    Amagov brothers for life! Musa looks wicked talented, he's super young him and Adlan have been coming over to the US training at Jackson's training with Jones in particular and hitting up 10th planet Jiu Jitsu. I hope the UFC signs both of them soon. Chechnya!
  • mmafan73mmafan73 Posts: 7,911Free
    i mean you guys saying **** about the fedor incident need to look into it....Dana and the UFC tried....it wasnt fedor or danas fault it was fedors managers....they were asking for crazy **** that the UFC couldnt do....Fedors managers **** up what could have been
    I love to be between a mans strong legs just like my Boyfriend Chael does

Sonnen made me believe the hype but Silva showed me the light...BruteDion's 19th victim
    mmafan73 said:

i mean you guys saying **** about the fedor incident need to look into it....Dana and the UFC tried....it wasnt fedor or danas fault it was fedors managers....they were asking for crazy **** that the UFC couldnt do....Fedors managers **** up what could have been

Bottom line is Dana flat out called him a joke. Whatever the reasons behind him not coming to the UFC (and yes his management was impossible to deal with), there is no excuse for Dana to talk the way he did. Fedor was earning $2m a fight and owned like 15% of M-1, so the fact they wanted to co-promote a fight instead of getting paid $500,000 for fighting for the UFC may seem unreasonable, but you can see his point of view. Dana on the other hand just didn't get his way and then acted like a child.
    Birdhound said:

mmafan73 said:

Dana on the other hand just didn't get his way and then acted like a child.

That IS dana white. He runs his company primarily on his own ego, and can't deal with anyone f'ing with him, which basically led to more people f'ing with him than ever.

The cool thing about him is he is more accessible and real than selig/goddell/etc. by miles, but the annoying thing about him is he gets his panties in a bunch over every little thing. Just learn to get some thick skin if you are going to be the President of a company. Does he have any clue how many people's lives he's messed with by firing people...if he is going to hurt people's families and lives, he could learn to not get all riled up when Fedor's management won't take his offer for 1% of a PPV's revenues
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,069Free
    Sisti said:

90% of the world's best MMA fighters are from these 2 countries.

No no no.
    90% of UFC fighters are from those countries. That's a crucial distinction here.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,650Free

Probably never but if anyone is going to rival the Brazilians and 'Mericans it's probably the Russians.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,069Free
    edited January 2013
    Ameriman said:

When more countries embrace wrestling.

FAIL

Just because there's no wrestling in Brazil and the UK does NOT mean other countries don't embrace wrestling. Just on the contrary - plenty of countries have a longer and grander wrestling tradition than the USA.

All-time Olympic medal table – Greco-Roman – 1896–2012

1. Soviet Union (URS) 60 (total no. of medals, but order goes by the no. of golds)
    2. Finland (FIN) 58
    3. Sweden (SWE) 56
    4. Hungary (HUN) 36
    5. Bulgaria (BUL) 31
    6. Romania (ROU) 27
    7. Turkey (TUR) 20
    8. Poland (POL) 20 Go Poland! :-)
    9. Russia (RUS) 14
    10. Italy (ITA) 18
    14. USA 14 <---- LOL

And seeing how Greco-Roman wrestling has seemed as the more successful form of wrestling in MMA, yeah, think about it.

All-time Olympic medal table – Freestyle – 1904–2004

1 Soviet Union (URS) 86
    2 United States (USA) 78
    3 Iran (IRI) 35
    4 Russia (RUS) 26
    5 Turkey (TUR) 35
    6 Sweden (SWE) 26
    7 Finland (FIN) 25
    8 Bulgaria (BUL) 32
    9 Japan (JPN) 35
    10 South Korea (KOR) 4

Now, calculating this per capita for a valid comparison, USA's got nothing on countries like Sweden, Bulgaria or Hungary, which are soo much smaller. Just shows how much more embraced wrestling is in those countries. With that goes the level of wrestling obviously.
    Post edited by najma on