Alvarez Not Worth UFC's Time

BOILEDFREAKEGGSBOILEDFREAKEGGS Posts: 132Free
This is a very bad move by the UFC. I agree with getting the best talent available, but is Alvarez really that much better than Melendez? In my opinion, Chandler is much more marketable and he did beat Alvarez.

Comments

• TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
    Not sure why you think it'd be a bad move really, more top fighters the better, contract stuff aside.
    He needs the UFC more than they need him though, the LW division is stacked regardless

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night, all day!

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 776Free
    For me not having Alvarez in the UFC could have been a bad move. He is better than many other fighters in his division so he deserves the chance.
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,197Free
    I completely disagree.

Alvarez belongs with UFC talent.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Very curious to see how he will do in UFC.

Very curious to see how he will do in UFC.

This^

Hopefully this contract bs gets ironed out sooner than later.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,675Free
    Ninja please
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • HossackHossack Posts: 141Registered Users
    Learn what a contract is. Chandler can't go to the UFC, and Alvarez is worth the time if his past performances are any indication.
  • Ive wanted too see Melendez vs Alvarez for a LONG time. Too bad Coker and Gil ducked it when they had the chance to make it happen.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • He belongs in the UFC but I think an immediate title shot would be bs
  • Me_Against_The_WorldMe_Against_The_World Posts: 7,885Registered Users

He belongs in the UFC but I think an immediate title shot would be bs

Should fight Varner, Jim Miller or Dos Anjos in his debut if he actually gets signed in the next month.
  • He belongs in the UFC but I think an immediate title shot would be bs

Should fight Varner, Jim Miller or Dos Anjos in his debut if he actually gets signed in the next month.
    Those would be nice fights
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free
    edited January 2013
    I think Alvarez is a solid top 10 that would put on some amazing fights in the UFC. Plus taking Eddie from Bellator lowers their competition dramatically. Eddie is far more popular than Chandler.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Let him be the one to send Melvin packing, then Bell can sign him up.
    UFC Community account: _Josh_

I think Alvarez is a solid top 10 that would put on some amazing fights in the UFC. Plus taking Eddie form Bellator lowers there competition dramatically. Eddie is far more popular than Chandler.

Chandler will rise to stardom within the next year and you'll be hearing his name along with Bellator a lot more as will Dana I promise. ;)

I pretty much agree though, Alvarez has been one of those guys in the top 10 for like 5 years now. He's ridiculously skilled, well rounded, athletic and exciting with a 23-3 record and still only 27? You hear nothing but positive stuff about this guy too. Fight of the year vs Michael Chandler, coming off a headkick KO over Patricky, tore Huerta's knee with leg kicks, choked out Josh Neer, him and Edgar are eachothers number 1 training partners but he also spends time with Guillard. Hopkins went on the record that Alvarez could be a top 10 pro boxer if he dedicated his career to that sport within a year. I really hope they sign him.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free

I think Alvarez is a solid top 10 that would put on some amazing fights in the UFC. Plus taking Eddie form Bellator lowers there competition dramatically. Eddie is far more popular than Chandler.

Chandler will rise to stardom within the next year and you'll be hearing his name along with Bellator a lot more as will Dana I promise. ;)

I pretty much agree though, Alvarez has been one of those guys in the top 10 for like 5 years now. He's ridiculously skilled, well rounded, athletic and exciting with a 23-3 record and still only 27? You hear nothing but positive stuff about this guy too. Fight of the year vs Michael Chandler, coming off a headkick KO over Patricky, tore Huerta's knee with leg kicks, choked out Josh Neer, him and Edgar are eachothers number 1 training partners but he also spends time with Guillard. Hopkins went on the record that Alvarez could be a top 10 pro boxer if he dedicated his career to that sport within a year. I really hope they sign him.
    Yeah Chandler is young and will definitely make a name for himself. It's a shame he's in Bellator where their champs never get to fight.
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,717Free

Yeah Chandler is young and will definitely make a name for himself. It's a shame he's in Bellator where their champs never get to fight.
    Sadly it seems most of the UFC champs never get to fight either :( except Jones of course.
    Cole1186 said:

Sadly it seems most of the UFC champs never get to fight either :( except Jones of course.
    That's kind of just the fight business, boxing and now mixed martial arts the superstars, the champions, the fighters people want to see fight the most, fight the least.

Though about Chandler and Bellator's champions fighting so little this half of the year it's actually because Viacom is now backing Bellator ( Billion+ dollar company ) and they're debuting on spike this year actually tomorrow night and they saved all their championship bouts for the debut on Spike so within the next 60 days they'll have Aleksander Shlemenko vs Maiquel Falcao, Pat Curran vs Patricio Freire and Michael Chandler vs Rick Hawn along with tons of other awesome fights. I believe they have a championship fight tomorrow night not sure if it's Chandler or Curran defending.

Cole1186 said:

That's kind of just the fight business, boxing and now mixed martial arts the superstars, the champions, the fighters people want to see fight the most, fight the least.

Though about Chandler and Bellator's champions fighting so little this half of the year it's actually because Viacom is now backing Bellator ( Billion+ dollar company ) and they're debuting on spike this year actually tomorrow night and they saved all their championship bouts for the debut on Spike so within the next 60 days they'll have Aleksander Shlemenko vs Maiquel Falcao, Pat Curran vs Patricio Freire and Michael Chandler vs Rick Hawn along with tons of other awesome fights. I believe they have a championship fight tomorrow night not sure if it's Chandler or Curran defending.
    Looks like Chandler is defending the belt next Thursday (Jan 17th) on Spike.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,819Free
    Bellator on Spike will help them grow. Bellator is definitely on the rise.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

That's very true, but what they are doing to Eddie Alvarez is ridicolous.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

That's very true, but what they are doing to Eddie Alvarez is ridicolous.
    I hate Bellator's President and Commentator's they Bjorn makes Dana look like Ghandi and their commentators are just the worst...I love the fighters they sign, how they scout talent better than anyone else and the tournament set-up is sweet and brings the best out of fighters, also how they're geographically diverse.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    I like Bellator and with Viacom backing it I'm interested to see how it will fare on SPIKE.

If they take all the talent then what is Bellator left with?
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,938Free

He is definitely talented and worth the UFC's time and money. The only thing that I see holding him back besides the contract is possibly his chin. He doesn't necessarily get rocked every fight but he gets knocked down a lot.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,114Free
    What are you talking about this guy is a beast and will be in contention for the title for sure..... B-)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4

He is definitely talented and worth the UFC's time and money. The only thing that I see holding him back besides the contract is possibly his chin. He doesn't necessarily get rocked every fight but he gets knocked down a lot.
    26 fights and he's only ever been finished by knockout once and it was over 5 years ago at 170lbs. He gets dropped a lot but so did Nick Diaz throughout his career, Nogeuira too. Alvarez has tons of heart, conditioning and awesome recovery I don't doubt his chin to be honest he can take it better than most.
  • MilesGunnMilesGunn Posts: 3,633Registered Users
    OP is going for max. disagrees
    uddaside said:

Let Eddie bang bro.

LOL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Remember when Spike would counter the ultimate fighter with very similar programming? Lmfao