Is Cormier being over-hyped?

TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free
Am I the only one who thinks this is the case?
Grover- Future LHW champ!

Comments

• najmanajma Posts: 2,051Free
    LOLWUT. He's the black Fedor, come on, what's wrong with you?! GTFO

Daniel Cormier (L)HW Champion 2013 !!!!!
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    absolutely not....he is over hyped...and Mir is perfect for his first fight in the UFC
  • najma said:

Yeahhhhhh boiiii!!1!

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free
    najma said:

I seem to recall many on this forum labelling Fedor a can crusher though.
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    No, he destroyed Bigfoot and annihilated Barnett, which is no easy feat.
    Believe in Beard
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Every fighter outside the UFC is overhyped.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    I think he has a serious cardio issue, you can see him always looking up at the clock. If he fights Jones he's gonna lose, he should do better at HW though, prolly just under Cain and JDS.

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 808Free
    All strikeforce fighters seem to be cans, especially when they transfer over they show their true canning skills. Diaz the long time champ went 1 n 1. Melendez is about to lose. Cormier will get overwhelmed by an underrated great fighter in Frank Mir, and Josh Barnett is just a fat mess who hasn't really improved his skill set... ugh, they should have to fight each other to get into the UFC like the TUF.
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    screw DC people jumping on his nuts will get a wake up call after Mir beats him. Gonna be funny when everyone then says he sucks
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,759Free

All strikeforce fighters seem to be cans, especially when they transfer over they show their true canning skills. Diaz the long time champ went 1 n 1. Melendez is about to lose. Cormier will get overwhelmed by an underrated great fighter in Frank Mir, and Josh Barnett is just a fat mess who hasn't really improved his skill set... ugh, they should have to fight each other to get into the UFC like the TUF.

You've been flagged as a troll 28 times
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • pestilencepestilence Posts: 208Free
    DC will get smashed down to middleweight in the UFC
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free
    chanman20 said:

screw DC people jumping on his nuts will get a wake up call after Mir beats him. Gonna be funny when everyone then says he sucks

If Mir does pull it off I can see numerous cries " oh he wasn't that good anyway" etc etc on this forum.Just like Cain's fans seemed to treble overnight ( no disrespect intended to folk who'd been there since the start)
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,444Free
    Tahune said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is the case?

Nah, he's pretty good, but

War Mir!!!!!!
    mir!!.jpg
    650 x 440 - 92K
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • IMO he's not being over-hyped. He is legit he just needs to prove it. I think he wins the fight against Mir rather easily.
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka
  • samotype7samotype7 Posts: 89Registered Users
    Hard to consider him overhyped when he beat two guys who were top 10 HWs, some may argue Barnett top 5, at the time they fought
    "America is all about speed. hot, nasty, bad a** speed"-Eleanor Roosevelt
  • JoeTheGiggoloJoeTheGiggolo Posts: 1,420Free
    Yes, Big Time!
    Proud Supporter of TEAM SONNEN!

I said Mighty Mouse would be the 1st UFC FlyW Champ!
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    versus people like big nog or mir he has a shot. once you go up to the serious elite of the world like jones, cain, AO, or JDS i think he's outmatched
  • prodigy9prodigy9 Posts: 1,646Free
    He's not overhyped.
    People outside the UFC never get the credit they deserve until they get a big win in the UFC, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Cain & JDS came from nowhere to rule the roost and Cormier will do the same...
    I remember watching an old Tim Sylvia fight (maybe Arlowski 1, if not a fight around that time) & Rogan says something silly like "most people consider Sylvia the #1 HW on the planet right now, him just above Fedor". When in reality Pride had 5 guys that wold have held the UFC HW title for years.
    The strikeforce guys of the past two or three years, ie. Barnett, Fedor, Reem, Cormier, Werdum, Bigfoot etc. are just as strong as the UFC guys (just look at what they're doing now) & only when the big dogs fight each other will we know if indeed Cormier/Reem are overrated or if, once again, the UFC fans don't appreciate that there is an MMA world outside of the UFC & there are some scary, talented dudes in it.
    JDS,Hunt.

Teixeira, Shogun, Nedkov,Manuwa.

Lombard, Bisping, Belfort.

Hathaway, Semtex,

Sass, Khabib 'The Eagle,

Barboza, Barao.

Cro Cop-Penn-Liddell

prodigy9 said:

He's not overhyped.
    People outside the UFC never get the credit they deserve until they get a big win in the UFC, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Cain & JDS came from nowhere to rule the roost and Cormier will do the same...
    I remember watching an old Tim Sylvia fight (maybe Arlowski 1, if not a fight around that time) & Rogan says something silly like "most people consider Sylvia the #1 HW on the planet right now, him just above Fedor". When in reality Pride had 5 guys that wold have held the UFC HW title for years.
    The strikeforce guys of the past two or three years, ie. Barnett, Fedor, Reem, Cormier, Werdum, Bigfoot etc. are just as strong as the UFC guys (just look at what they're doing now) & only when the big dogs fight each other will we know if indeed Cormier/Reem are overrated or if, once again, the UFC fans don't appreciate that there is an MMA world outside of the UFC & there are some scary, talented dudes in it.

DC won the grand prix...that is the ONLY thing he's accomplished in MMA. And even then, he had one of the easiest roads possible to get that

I do like your post and you make some very legit points tho

Time will tell on DC, I wouldn't be shocked if he loses to Mir and I wouldn't be shocked if he smashes him. We'll know soon enough
    Sisti said:

DC won the grand prix...that is the ONLY thing he's accomplished in MMA.

What did Kongo, Nelson, Browne, Nogueira, Mittrione, Barry, Schaub, Herman, Rothwell Struve accomplish in MMA?
    What makes them all better than DC?

• prodigy9prodigy9 Posts: 1,646Free
    najma said:

Sisti said:

What did Kongo, Nelson, Browne, Nogueira, Mittrione, Barry, Schaub, Herman, Rothwell Struve accomplish in MMA?
    What makes them all better than DC?k

Get Big Nog off of that list...
    JDS,Hunt.

Teixeira, Shogun, Nedkov,Manuwa.

Lombard, Bisping, Belfort.

Hathaway, Semtex,

Sass, Khabib 'The Eagle,

Barboza, Barao.

Cro Cop-Penn-Liddell

najma said:

Sisti said:

Nothing...but no one was saying that they could beat the champ and p4p great. People are already assuming DC could take Jones, which is ridiculous seeing how little he's accomplished compared to the elite of the UFC

No one's saying he shouldn't be in the UFC or that he's not legit...just think it's too soon to assume he could hang with the elite of the world (Cain, JDS, Jones)
  • YerboYerbo Posts: 2,515Free
    Definitely. It's gonna be one major bandwagon derailment when he gets finished his first fight in the UFC.
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    For sure, althought his latest wins are some what impressive. I'll decide after the Mir fight. I got Mir winning though. CHOKE
    frank_mir (1).jpg
    480 x 327 - 33K

• TheMmaKnowItAllTheMmaKnowItAll Posts: 523Registered Users
    He's got great wrestling skills and stand up, technically probably better than cain in both wrestling/stand up. But physically he dosent match up well against the top 5 elite heavyweights, he'd gas quickly against junior or cain, hes realistically just a fat LHW. But he does have a punchers chance against anyone at heavyweight, throwing a punch with as much core weight as he has will rock anyone! Potentially he could be a mike tyson of heavyweights, but he's gotta work on his movement and cardio.
  • LonjanisLonjanis Posts: 257Free

I like this post. The bits where he uses things that he assumes will happen, and are yet to e proven as evidence is the best.

• GobboGobbo Posts: 1,371Free
    najma said:

Sisti said:

You realize at one point Big Nog was ranked as the #1 Heavyweight in the world, and has fought some of the best heavyweights of all time. He may be on the decline but hes accomplished a lot in MMA.
    Gobbo said:

najma said:

Sisti said:

You realize at one point Big Nog was ranked as the #1 Heavyweight in the world, and has fought some of the best heavyweights of all time. He may be on the decline but hes accomplished a lot in MMA.
    That was in the pre-Fedor era when there were no credible HWs, which was 10 years ago. Then The Last Emperor came and pwned him.

Ok, what about the rest of the group? Huh? I gave you 10 names.

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    I don't think so,he basically fights just like FEDOR does,power punches.The difference is Cormier has zero game off his back but does have wrestling,Fedor does not..One thing about the HW division that shows how pathetic it is,you can pretty much give your back up and just stand back up after a take down,so Cormier should do fine.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.