Has Vitor gotten better?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
Since 2007 his only losses have been against Silva and Jones

His wins include four first round finishes against Lindland, Franklin, Akiyama, and Rumble...now a second round finish vs. Bisping. Since '07 he's 8-2, but he is even better than that record. His wins include extremely quick finishes of top guys and his losses are probably against the 2 best fighters in MMA history. I def am not surprised that he was able to beat bisping...and I think he'd EASILY be champ right now if the 2 contenders were ANYONE other than Silva and Jones
Tagged:

Comments

• FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    I'm not sure I'd consider any of these top guys except Franklin.. but we all know Franklin is on the downside of his carreer now..

Bisping has never earn a win against a top contender. Rumble hasn't gotten a win against anyone whose name actually means something, and he while he was the bigger man when they fought he was completely depleted and dehydrated. Akiyama? isn't he 1-4 in the UFC including losses to Bisping and... Leben?

Who the hell is Lindland..

Yet I do think Vitor is a force. He convinced me with his performance against Jones, that he was still a threat to anyone.

That being said I do think he's improved his boxing. I had never seen him look as loose and comfortable as tonight.
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    edited January 2013
    It's true. When you look at the numbers, his record alone isn't that impressive, but upon inspection the only people he has ever lost to are complete savages: Old school Sakuraba; Randy, Chuck, and Tito in their primes; Overeem; Hendo; Silva; Jones.

I don't think he'll be champ again, but I think he's presently better than the other guys in his range who've gotten more accolades over the years, like Shogun and Rampage. He should really push for some of those 205 dream fights, rather than call out Jones.

And, yea, isn't this the first time he has rocked an opponent with a head kick? Old lion still has it and then some.
    Post edited by bluesy on
  • GobboGobbo Posts: 1,371Free
    bluesy said:

It's true. When you look at the numbers, his record alone isn't that impressive, but upon inspection the only people he has ever lost to are complete savages: Old school Sakuraba; Randy, Chuck, and Tito in their primes; Overeem; Hendo; Silva; Jones.

I don't think he'll be champ again, but I think he's presently better than the other guys in his range who've gotten more accolades over the years, like Shogun and Rampage. He should really push for some of those 205 dream fights, rather than call out Jones.

And, yea, isn't this the first time he has rocked an opponent with a head kick? Old lion still has it and then some.

During their career peak I think Shogun and Rampage rightfully got more recognition and were ranked higher, but I think now everyone (except Carnage) realizes that Shogun and Rampage best days were in Pride and they arn't going to return to old form.
  • TheMmaKnowItAllTheMmaKnowItAll Posts: 523Registered Users
    edited January 2013
    Expect him to be caught for TRT , he looked way to ripped in my opinion for an older fighter
    Post edited by TheMmaKnowItAll on
  • britishrangerbritishranger Posts: 1,272Free
    Roids do that bruv
    "I have the biggest hard on for Brazillian feet. Thanks Vitor you beast. Thanks to Ozpride for helping me admit that, and to Bisping for proving he's a weak little girl."

Vitor is a junkie steroid abuser
  • PenguPengu Posts: 4,130Free
    Looked pretty shredded...TRT exemption?
    But he did expand his skill set, never seen Vitor throw a spinning heel kick or attempt a flying knee.
    So his not just relying on his hands
    Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all Night! All day!

Osu!

• JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    Pengu said:

But he did expand his skill set, never seen Vitor throw a spinning heel kick or attempt a flying knee.

C'mon man, he was fighting Michael F****** Bisping.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Vitor did look pretty shredded, but he trains with Hashad and Overeem. Of course he was gonna be shredded.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • hasopashahasopasha Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    he improved imo he is now trying flying knees and spinning kicks

he is trowing more kicks
    Kazushi Sakuraba*

the art of not backing down
  • Dark_HorseDark_Horse Posts: 2,035Free
    Should the title read "Has Vitor gotten better PEDs?"
    Happy in his folly, the fool embraces the Devil.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,820Free
    edited January 2013
    i believe vitor is better now than when he beat randy for the title

would love to see a rematch between shogun and belfort, or perhaps belfort vs mousasi hendo vs belfort would also be a great rematch
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• mmafan73mmafan73 Posts: 7,911Free
    i believe in a rematch he can beat jones(maybe), and anderson 4sho
    I love to be between a mans strong legs just like my Boyfriend Chael does

Sonnen made me believe the hype but Silva showed me the light...BruteDion's 19th victim
  • creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    He has gotten better, yes. I would like to see him fight Anderson again, not Jones. It is possible he would give Silva a run for his money the 2nd time. Jones, not so much....
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    Pengu said:

I'm surprised that wasn't made mention of during the broadcast ... I don't remember Vitor ever going for those kinds of kicks
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,296Free
    Jones fight gave him more confidence

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• cromwellcromwell Posts: 655Free
    he did come out a lot different than usual, in stead of trying to go for the kill every second of the fight and gas himself out he was patient and picked his shots, if this is the new way vitor decides to fight then i would say he has improved.
    "You say im not great, i say i am great. However, i know myself better than you know me, so my conclusion of myself is therefore more accurate."
  • Qwerty1175Qwerty1175 Posts: 701Registered Users
    He looked to be in the best shape he has ever been in
    HW: JDS

LHW: Chael P Sonnen

MW: Bisping

WW: GSP

LW: Cowboy Cerrone

FW: Edgar

BW: Faber

Fly: Uncle Creepy

Women's: Rousey
  • Vitor vs Lombard would be a circle jerk of epicness for us fans. Okami? Screw Okami! Get that clown outta there! Give him a reality show with Chael!
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • Qwerty1175Qwerty1175 Posts: 701Registered Users
    Vitor would ko Lombard in 1 minute
    HW: JDS

LHW: Chael P Sonnen

MW: Bisping

WW: GSP

LW: Cowboy Cerrone

FW: Edgar

BW: Faber

Fly: Uncle Creepy

Women's: Rousey
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,322Free
    Vitor vs. Lombard would make more sense than Vitor vs. Jones 2. Don't get me wrong, I think he could take Jones if he would be more aggressive with his standup than he was the first time. I kept yelling at the tv, "Stop pulling guard and hit that mother!" A 4 fight winning streak (at MW) with wins over Akiyama, Rumble, Bisping, and Lombard and he would have a strong case for a title shot there. I'd rather see him fight Silva again than Jones. Hendo will take care of Bones. ;)
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 741Free
    I was very pleased with those kicks, they were hard and accurate. The spinning kick looked awesome, fast and controlled. The distance was wrong, but hey, not many people can land that kick in a mma match.
  • CyberSlayerCyberSlayer Posts: 3,377Registered Users
    I've wanted a Vitor vs Silva rematch for a while now & that win against Bisping was impressive for alot of the reasons ya'll have expressed above..He showed patience in his striking,he was pacing himself,& he was mixing his striking up,its making me want that rematch that much more..
    When you were born,you cried and the world rejoiced.Live your life so that when you die,the world cries and you rejoice.White Elk.

BROCKSMASH a true legend of the UFC forums
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,258Free
    Vitor has always been good
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • I would say yes. Or he is mixing things up more with his kicks. He has been looking good lately
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,820Free
    edited January 2013
    i think he needs fights were he dislikes his opponent makes him train harder probably why he would like to fight chael
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• MilesGunnMilesGunn Posts: 3,633Registered Users

This.
    It was pretty clear that Anderson, Chael and Belfort were/are the top3 MWs.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    MilesGunn said:

This.
    But if you look at Vitor's record there's nothing to say he's a top MW.
  • MilesGunnMilesGunn Posts: 3,633Registered Users

MilesGunn said:

This.
    A lot of R1 KOs prove otherwise. Also his record is fine, his losses are from top LHWs who he'd beat now and a HW. If I remember correctly, his sister was kidnapped or found dead around that time period.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    MilesGunn said:

MilesGunn said:

This.
    A lot of R1 KOs prove otherwise. Also his record is fine, his losses are from top LHWs who he'd beat now and a HW. If I remember correctly, his sister was kidnapped or found dead around that time period.
    Who has he beat at MW though? Akiyama is a legit bum and Rumble drained his body so hard and couldn't make weight. Bisping is his biggest MW win and he's just a gatekeeper that's been hyped because he's British.

I'd say Weidman is the #2 guy and Chael 3rd if he's still included