Should there be a reach limit in each weight class

cadepcadep Posts: 8Free
I feel like there should be some type of reach limit in each weight class. I am not sure how they would do it but it seems to me that someone with the reach of Jon Jones competing at 205 has just as much of an advantage as a fighter who is much heavier if not more. I am not impressed by him because of this advantage, anyone else agree.
Tagged:

Comments

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    edited January 2013
    is there a reach limit in any other contact sport? plenty of fighters through out history have had huge reach advantages and still lost, hell struve has a similar reach advantage yet he fails to utilize it at all effectively
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited January 2013
    That's ridiculous.

If a guy like JBJ wasn't as well rounded as he is he wouldn't do **** against a striker like Lyoto or a wrestler like Evans.

To beat your opponents physical advantages (whatever those might be), is also part of the fight.

The only thing that should separate fighters is the weight.
    Post edited by megaman on

• cadepcadep Posts: 8Free
    Yeah your right, but struve is beginning to use it effectively and he fights heavier bigger fighters which I feel neutralizes his reach some. I just get the same feeling watching jones fight at 205 as I do watching BJ Penn fight at 170. I think reach can give just as much of an advantage as weight can if used effectively. Its hard for me agree with anyone making a pound for pound comparison when he has nearly a foot reach advantage over everyone he fights

That's ridiculous.

If a guy like JBJ wasn't as well rounded as he is he wouldn't do **** against a striker like Lyoto or a wrestler like Evans.

To beat your opponents physical advantages (whatever those might be), is also part of the fight.

Well going by what you are saying why should they even separate them by weight if thats the case. I think JBJ is a great fighter but I feel he has a clear physical advantage which is the idea behind weight classes, to keep it competitive right.

• Me_Against_The_WorldMe_Against_The_World Posts: 7,885Registered Users
    cadep said:

That's ridiculous.

Well going by what you are saying why should they even separate them by weight if thats the case. I think JBJ is a great fighter but I feel he has a clear physical advantage which is the idea behind weight classes, to keep it competitive right.

People thinking the only physical advantage Jones has is his reach are **** idiots. Look at the guy, he has a 84.5inch reach yet larger biceps than Rampage. Compare him to other fighters around his height and length in the division they cut a lot of weight yet Jones still dwarfs them. He abuses the most significant size advantage in mixed martial arts very effectively and its the key to his success not simply his reach, his physical entirety is off the charts. He is really skilled though, but is he really more skilled than a guy like Machida? I'm not so sure.
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free
    Ugh is this thread is going to turn into a rip on bones thread?
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    I saw a martial arts movie where one fighter could make his arms grow longer in the middle of a fight.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

I saw a martial arts movie where one fighter could make his arms grow longer in the middle of a fight.

That wasn't a movie old man, you were just watching gumby.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,050Premium
    When a guy so big stays so lean it usually gives him weak points for opponents to exploit, and his opponents have not been able to do that. Either they can't gameplan well enough, or Jones prevents them from doing that.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
    Syklone said:

When a guy so big stays so lean it usually gives him weak points for opponents to exploit, and his opponents have not been able to do that. Either they can't gameplan well enough, or Jones prevents them from doing that.

I think its more advantageous to be built like Hector Lombard than Kendal Grove to be honest. I don't buy its because of " his reach " I do however think his reach is supported by freak physical gifts like I said his arms were bigger than Rampages and his reach is longer than Struves. Most people aren't so explosive and physically powerful when they have frames like his and reaches like his, they literally aren't capable of it. Ontop of that he is pound for pound one of the largest fighters in the sport and he's turned a large part of his game into imposing his size and being able to do things others simply can't for a lot of reasons.

Doesn't matter, someone needs to be better than Jones to beat him. A lot think Cain can do it others think Cormier can, I think Glover and Machida also have a small but real chance.

Anyone who even considers Jon Jones in the pound for pound best conversation has to ask themselves, could he beat everyone in HW division
    because that's where he should be fighting.

Out of 31 fighters currently on the UFC Heavyweight Roster none have a longer reach only 8 are taller, 4 of which only have 1" on him.

Here is the reach of the best guys he has fought

Jon Jones reach for those who don't know is 84.5"

Belfort 74" -10.5"

Evans 75" -9.5

Machida 74" -10.5

Jackson 73" -11.5

Rua 76" -8.5

Bones recently stated 240-pounds would be an ideal weight for him at heavyweight.

Could he beat Dos Santos, Velasquez or Overeem, I doubt it. Pound for Pound Best, I dont think so so.

Syklone said:

I think its more advantageous to be built like Hector Lombard than Kendal Grove to be honest. I don't buy its because of " his reach " I do however think his reach is supported by freak physical gifts like I said his arms were bigger than Rampages and his reach is longer than Struves. Most people aren't so explosive and physically powerful when they have frames like his and reaches like his, they literally aren't capable of it. Ontop of that he is pound for pound one of the largest fighters in the sport and he's turned a large part of his game into imposing his size and being able to do things others simply can't for a lot of reasons.

Doesn't matter, someone needs to be better than Jones to beat him. A lot think Cain can do it others think Cormier can, I think Glover and Machida also have a small but real chance.

Machida maybe, I tell you another one I think could do it is Diabante 6'6 81" reach and can out strike Bones for sure. Last fight showed good takedown defense.
    Diabate has a bad chin, bad balance and coordination Jones would destroy him anywhere he wanted to, please.....think harder before you post.
    Diabate was also dropped by Luiz Cane and mauled into an early death standing vs Gustafsson in his short UFC Career so far.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    cadep said:

Anyone who even considers Jon Jones in the pound for pound best conversation has to ask themselves, could he beat everyone in HW division

Out of 31 fighters currently on the UFC Heavyweight Roster none have a longer reach only 8 are taller, 4 of which only have 1" on him.

Belfort 74" -10.5"

Evans 75" -9.5

Machida 74" -10.5

Jackson 73" -11.5

Rua 76" -8.5

Bones recently stated 240-pounds would be an ideal weight for him at heavyweight.

Could he beat Dos Santos, Velasquez or Overeem, I doubt it. Pound for Pound Best, I dont think so so.

And this is where people will start to think ur just tryin to hate

Sure his arms are damn long....but he's just as skilled

His long limbs one day will get him in trouble i think...he his skinny legs will get brutally beaten when some one actual trys to keep the leg kick up...the last few guus found success with them but stopped for some stupid reason

And his long arms may get him in more trouble with good bjj guys....I think the day Jones loses it will be by sub
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
    Luiz Cane hits hard and he also TKO'd him in the same round. He won is last two and showed much better takedown defense. I think he is probably a better striker than Jones and his height an reach are close. He probably would lose but I was thinking who could deal with the reach of Jones.

And this is where people will start to think ur just tryin to hate

Sure his arms are damn long....but he's just as skilled

His long limbs one day will get him in trouble i think...he his skinny legs will get brutally beaten when some one actual trys to keep the leg kick up...the last few guus found success with them but stopped for some stupid reason

And his long arms may get him in more trouble with good bjj guys....I think the day Jones loses it will be by sub
    I totally agree with you, Submission is the way to beat him, And I am hating on Jones I just don't think without that huge reach adavantage he would be where is his. Maybe I'm wrong but it's hard to believe that someone his age is just that much better than everyone else.

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    cadep said:

Belfort 74" -10.5"

Evans 75" -9.5

Machida 74" -10.5

Jackson 73" -11.5

Rua 76" -8.5

but if any of the HWs dropped to LHW could they beat him?
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Nope,simply make the fighters fight at the weight they claim to be fighting at.That way the taller,long reach guys won't have the power to fight at the divisions they are in,they would be far too skinny.

Also it might be a good idea to put out better money ,so the REAL athletes take this sport serious.We are still getting the barroom mentality type fighters.The HW division will always be full of them.

We have been hearing for several years about the "new breed" the well rounded fighters.Well how many are actually WELL rounded,not many if any.Jones has real long skinny legs,you get a guy with solid leg kicks,good wrestling defense,he could destroy Jones.

All i see in 95% of the fights,is two guys standing in the middle and going through a boxing type feeling out process,nothing that resembles well rounded fighting.EVERY single one of the champs has several weaknesses,so why can't anyone beat them?Poor training,poor game plans,poor cornermen/coaches.I say don't blame the reach ,blame the fighters and their camps/coaches.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    Tahune said:

Ugh is this thread is going to turn into a rip on bones thread?

It can't turn into one when that's what it starts out as
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    edited January 2013
    yeah, the greater weight classes should have progressively shorter reach limits.
    Post edited by JDS_over_REEM on
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free

yeah, the greater weight classes should have progressively shorter reach limits.

This.

Eric Esch, UFC heavyweight champion
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    Mangasm said:

Eric Esch, UFC heavyweight champion

Finally a HW champion who can cut down to FLW.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
    thats ridiculous thats like saying their should be a jump height limit in basketball