The fight that keeps Greg Jackson up at night

SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
Chael Sonnen vs. Bryan Baker [WEC 33]
Bryan Baker 185 lbs version of jon jones described as all american wrestler, long limbed, was 23 years old, undefeated, fight was for number 1 contendership, sonnen man handled him, sonnen suplexes him similar to how jones suplexes guys, a straight beat down by sonnen
Tagged:

Comments

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,890Free

Chael Sonnen vs. Bryan Baker [WEC 33]
    Bryan Baker 185 lbs version of jon jones described as all american wrestler, long limbed, was 23 years old, undefeated, fight was for number 1 contendership, sonnen man handled him, sonnen suplexes him similar to how jones suplexes guys, a straight beat down by sonnen

We can but dream...
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    TUF1 said:

didn't u make a thread yesterday asking who it was that chael was suplexing in that highlight???

yeah. He or she did.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,245Free
    I just got done watching that fight and wondered the same thing. Could he do the same to Jones? Chael has some of the most beautiful grappling technique, but I still think Jones is too big and will keep too much distance for Chael to land the double leg. I'm pretty sure Jones will win the fight onesided, but I am curious to see if he gets taken down for the first time, and how he handles it.
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
    TUF1 said:

I misunderstood the OP. I guess my herp is still catching up with my derp this morning as well.

Bump. Interesting thread but Jones will still outweigh Chael by 25+ lbs on fight night imo and Chael will still have to make up all that reach to get inside. Plus Bryan Baker kind of sucks.

Bryan Baker is currently 18-4 with wins over various UFC fighters when they fought outside the UFC
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    i dont think he can do the same, jones is not 185
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• HORSEtheBandLIFHORSEtheBandLIF Posts: 500Free
    edited January 2013
    Jones will still outweigh Sonnen by at least 25+ pounds come fight night.

25 pounds? Ya? I swear NO ONE on the this forum knows anything about cutting weight. Sonnen will guaranteed be cutting at least 20 pounds and able to rehydrate back to full, he's an expert weight cutter. That leaves him around 220 or 225 even on fight night. And how much will Jones weigh? You think at least 245 or 250? Get outta here man! They will be similar weight, 225ish, but completely different build. Don't talk out of school homie.
    Post edited by HORSEtheBandLIF on
    Favourite Fighters

HW: Overeem, FEDOR, Cain.

LHW: Mousasi, SHOGUN, Machida.

MW: ANDERSON SILVA.

WW: Diaz, LYTLE, Silva.

LW: Cerrone, DIAZ, Lauzon.

FW: Garza, ALDO, Zombie.

BW: Bowles, BARAO, Faber.<
  • Chael is a very good grappler, but there's a reason we don't hear aboutBryan Baker and Jon Jones is champ, Jones actually has other facets to his game, he is the best guy in the division
    RHCP | Childish Gambino
  • HurzyHurzy Posts: 2,067Registered Users
    ^^ Sonnen said he weighs around 230 naturally...Jones weighs 240-245...maybe 250 when hes not in good shape...
    Both of them will cut to 205... Its not possible for Jones to get back up to 240 isnt possible...but i still thing jones will get up to around 225 or 230 and sonnen will only get back up to around 215-220...
    But weight isnt going to be as big of a factor in this fight as Sonnens ability to get inside of Jones reach and take him down...
  • NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    Chael is actually a huge MW believe it or not. Mike Dolce said Chael was walking around at a solid 250 during TUF. The weight between Jones and Chael during camp isn't much of a difference. Jones build is what makes him the "larger" fighter.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

the big difference is jones is a much better wrestler than the guy chael beat, he still has a sizable reach advantage, hes taller and knows how to utilize his reach and has destroyed everyone he has faced pretty much.

chael is one of the best wrestlers in mma but im still not convinced he can get jones down and hold him there for 5 rounds
    "Believe in the beard"

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 814Free
    I've dreamed a dream, that love would never dieeeeee. I dreamed that life was worth livinnnnnng.
    I've wish that JONES would fricken dieeeeeeeee, by Sonnen and he wouldn't be FORGIVINNNNNNG

25 pounds? Ya? I swear NO ONE on the this forum knows anything about cutting weight. Sonnen will guaranteed be cutting at least 20 pounds and able to rehydrate back to full, he's an expert weight cutter. That leaves him around 220 or 225 even on fight night. And how much will Jones weigh? You think at least 245 or 250? Get outta here man! They will be similar weight, 225ish, but completely different build. Don't talk out of school homie.

agree they will weigh the same, or close. chael is thicker than jones, sonnen's arm and chest are bigger

edited January 2013
    i forsee sonnen taking jones down in first, but jones getting back to his feet and stuffing takedowns, second round sonnen gets him down after a hard fought grappling battle agaisnt the cage, jones manages to get back to his feet and get sonnen down and submit him. sonnen no doubt a better wrestler but jones has slick takedowns of his own a good reach and size advantage that make his trips extremely potent good balance and hes very good with submissions, he submitted some solid guys that silva wouldnt submit.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

PATSTER said:

If you think Greg Jackson sees Chael as nothing less than a can to feed Jones you're just delusional.

Greg Jackson "Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones' career"

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Greg-Jackson-Chael-Sonnen-will-be-one-of-the-toughest-fights-of-Jon-Jones-career.html
  • MilesGunnMilesGunn Posts: 3,633Registered Users

agree they will weigh the same, or close. chael is thicker than jones, sonnen's arm and chest are bigger

This needs to be proven first, preferably with a pic of a ruler.
    MilesGunn said:

Mike Dolce said "Everybody thinks that Jones is bigger than Sonnen, but that's not true. Sonnen walks at 240 lbs, almost the same as Jones. I've never seen Sonnen so strong and motivated in my life, he's training harder and harder, Dolce said. "Chael is an extremely organized and focused guy, he's ready for the fight and he's going to be stronger than in the Jones fight day, a lot of people will be surprised."
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1495267-ufc-159-mike-dolce-says-chael-sonnen-will-be-stronger-than-jon-jones
    chael always has a chance vs anyone but jones will still be the heavy favorite going into this one, he just has many ways to win were as sonnen really only has one and thats a Decision
    "Believe in the beard"

edited February 2013
    dont forget sonnen is training jiu jitsu with vinny, and can win via submission as well
    Post edited by SilentDogood on
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,395Free
    MilesGunn said:

rofl

We need that guy back to confirm bicep sizes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,395Free
    MilesGunn said:

rofl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,398Free

MilesGunn said:

rofl

LoL His name was Marquee or some ****. He's the same guy that made a thread explaining how Dana was building Rory up to fight Anderson Silva...
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Bobo_VieriBobo_Vieri Posts: 614Free

Chael is actually a huge MW believe it or not. Mike Dolce said Chael was walking around at a solid 250 during TUF. The weight between Jones and Chael during camp isn't much of a difference. Jones build is what makes him the "larger" fighter.

Mike Dolce chatts a lot of ****. Chael is 6'1 looking at his shape in TUF there is not way he was 250.. Thats the same amount as the top powerlifters or carwin in his last fight! It ridiculous
    ??apparently the the only way to kill a lion is by rear naked choke?personally i?d just kick it in the head.?? ? Bas Rutten

dont forget sonnen is training jiu jitsu with vinny, and can win via submission as well

because it takes 2 months to learn jujitsu
    "Believe in the beard"

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free

same applies for jones. he faced great wrestlers who nobody believe he would be able to handle, and guess what? he did

Who? Jones always goes in a favorite
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    put all your money on jon jones