Gegard Mousasi: "My stand-up is good enough to hang with anybody in MMA."

TrollsmasherTrollsmasher Posts: 385Free
Gegard is down playing his standup skills. He is an elite K-1 striker that has beaten Hector Lombard, Mark Hunt, and Melvin Manhoef. He has over 30 fights and I can honestly say I never seen him get rocked.

Gustafsson is going to get mauled.

Source: http://fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Gegard-Mousasi-My-stand-up-is-good-enough-to-hang-with-anybody-in-MMA.html
Tagged:

Comments

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,361Free
    edited January 2013
    I hope so the only thing that makes me doubt he's top 5 is his TDD and that fight with Jardine I really thought he would have finished him.

Still I'm rooting for him in this fight hopefully he makes a run at the belt.
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    edited January 2013
    Thank God 205 has the least wrestlers compared to the other divisions.
    Post edited by JDS_over_REEM on
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    I can see so many people at LHW beating him. He'd fair better at MW. Even Bisping was considered a top fighter there...
  • GeGOAT won that fight against Queen Ho.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free
    Hendo would lay Mous boy out cold.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,252Free

I can see so many people at LHW beating him. He'd fair better at MW. Even Bisping was considered a top fighter there...

People really thought he could beat Anderson as well. Made the Hendo and Vitor KO's that much sweeter.

I'm looking forward to this fight. Hard to predict what Gus will do. I'm thinking he will take him down.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• TUF1 said:

GeGOAT won that fight against Queen Ho.

I think Mo won a fair decision by MMA's criteria today for judging but he def took the most damage. Pics after their fight vvv

He got outwrestled but dished out the damage. Its not a wrestling the match. The #1 criteria in MMA scoring is damage not control.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,252Free

TUF1 said:

I think Mo won a fair decision by MMA's criteria today for judging but he def took the most damage. Pics after their fight vvv

He got outwrestled but dished out the damage. Its not a wrestling the match. The #1 criteria in MMA scoring is damage not control.
    The judges disagree.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    edited January 2013

TUF1 said:

There is one problem with your argument. Damage is not a criteria in MMA scoring.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• hasopashahasopasha Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    gayguard is gonna find out soon why its called ufc level
    Kazushi Sakuraba*

the art of not backing down
  • PoloRidah said:

TUF1 said:

The judges disagree.
    I know. Its an inconsistant, often times flawed scoring system.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • TUF1 said:

There is one problem with your argument. Damage is not a criteria in MMA scoring.
    Effective striking ==> Damage.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5
  • coolbreezer81coolbreezer81 Posts: 2Free
    edited January 2013
    Mousasi is a great fighter and yes his stand-up is more than good enuff to hang with any mma fighter
    he fought all over the world In asia in the eu plus in the stades so he brings allong lots of experiance

plus he use to train with enuff great strikers back in holland guys like Overeem and such
    even mr bas rutten speaks good about him (lol) for now hahah.

But fact of the mather is he is new to the ufc when a fighter starts fighting in a other organisation its always
    exciting to see what happends ..

I dont think its gonna be to big of a problem for him since he is use to fight out-side of his comfort zone
    Skill wise he has enuff weapons to finish Gus As for as the wrestlin goes well thats always a risk
    with fighters comming out of dutch gyms (wrestling over there is not to be compared with wrestling in the stades and in the ufc)
    But he has bin over seas for a while now so it should be better now :)

So i still think gegard is gonna take this one (i could be wrong its his first ufc fight plus its in sweden )

Post edited by coolbreezer81 on
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    edited January 2013

TUF1 said:

Effective striking ==> Damage.
    Wrong. Effective striking = the # of clean, effective strikes landed.

Let's say that you have 2 guys striking and one is cut while also having a swelled up eye but lands twice as many significant strikes. So by your judging the guy who was cut should lose because he is damaged more. That is not the case in the current unified rules.

Mousasi landed a lot of strikes off of his back but by the current rules he still lost. Kind of like the Condit-GSP fight.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,799Moderator, Ultimate
    I find gegards striking to be overrated. He certaintly k1 elite level. All he did was beat kytaro who is a middle of the pack in k1. And in mma he beat superior strikers by taking them to the ground.

He wont get the title at either 185 or 205 but at 185 he would make it further as the power wrestlers at 205 will beat him
    imageimage
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,812Free
    his stand up didnt look that good against mike kyle, he needed that takedown.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion