Pettis: I'm going to call out Benson

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Anthony Pettis (15-2) spoke to www.itsyourcorner.com today about his upcoming clash with fellow WEC veteran, Donald Cerrone (19-4). "Showtime" plans to live up to his nickname with a knockout, then call out lightweight champion Benson Henderson (18-2).

"Everybody knows, I think even (Cerrone) knows, my stand-up's my strength. I plan on knocking him out. If he tries to stand with me, I don't think he's going to like it very much ... My fighting style's flashy, so I'm going to continue to amaze the fans. If I fight safe it's not me, so I need to get myself out there and go for good high-risk, high-reward moves ... Yeah, I'm definitely going to call (Benson Henderson) out. That's what I want, that's the fight I want. That's where I need to be at to get my career to the next level. I don't think he's ducking me. I think he's kind of avoiding me a little bit, but it's not really up to him, it's up to the UFC to set the match-up, then the contracts get signed."

From www.mmaliveshere.com
Tagged:

Comments

• DopexotDopexot Posts: 85Free
    At least Pettis is legit. You can't deny that.
    text
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,362Free
    War Pettis

get that belt you deserve

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,619Free
    He's getting awfully mouthy and now looking past cowboy. I hope Cerrone shuts him up.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,372Free

He's getting awfully mouthy and now looking past cowboy. I hope Cerrone shuts him up.

It's going to be pretty funny if Pettis can't back up all the **** hes talking.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    i dislike Cowboy but now that Pettis is running his mouth i hope he gets KTFO. Pettis hasn't done **** in the UFC
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    I like both guys but I hope Cowboy pulls it off. Should be an early candidate for FOTY though.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • beanzlegendbeanzlegend Posts: 16Free
    He needs to shut up, Guida destroyed him, and Benson is a better wrestler haha. If he didn't get a lucky kick that didn't even faze Henderson he'd be nameless, he's just becoming a joke now.
  • Hawkmma1Hawkmma1 Posts: 132Free

He needs to shut up, Guida destroyed him, and Benson is a better wrestler haha. If he didn't get a lucky kick that didn't even faze Henderson he'd be nameless, he's just becoming a joke now.

Wrong.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,619Free
    Karma is a b I t c h

Looking past your current opponent is a good way to get a ticket out of the title picture. With LW being so stacked (and growing deeper), if he doesnt beat Cerrone he might never get this close again.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 969Free
    Calling out Bendo after losing a #1 contender fight doesn't seem like the most well-thought plan....

But who knows? In today's UFC, it just might work.
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free
    Pettis will tool Cowboy, then he'll smoke Benson.
  • showtimefanshowtimefan Posts: 2Ultimate
    what guida did was far from destroying pettis, Anthonys gonna smash the **** outta cowboy. Dont blink during this fight because your gonna miss it when pettis comes up with some wicked kick and knocks cerrones head off . cowboys one tough s.o.b but noone can handle one of his head kicks and stay awake sweet dreams donald.

what guida did was far from destroying pettis, Anthonys gonna smash the **** outta cowboy. Dont blink during this fight because your gonna miss it when pettis comes up with some wicked kick and knocks cerrones head off . cowboys one tough s.o.b but noone can handle one of his head kicks and stay awake sweet dreams donald.

what are you disagreeing with me for, I said beanzlegend was wrong saying Pettis is becoming a joke.
  • showtimefanshowtimefan Posts: 2Ultimate
    my apologies hawk i thought you were in total agreement with him, started having me think I seen the fight totally different than everyone else :-O
  • beanzlegendbeanzlegend Posts: 16Free
    Just to remind ya'll Benson was winning there title fight before that 1 second barely fazing kick, so in that sense if he "doesn't" land a cool looking kick with no damage that gets the judges making their biases, then Benson will easily win, he's only gotten better, Pettis... well... he's still the same.
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free

Just to remind ya'll Benson was winning there title fight before that 1 second barely fazing kick, so in that sense if he "doesn't" land a cool looking kick with no damage that gets the judges making their biases, then Benson will easily win, he's only gotten better, Pettis... well... he's still the same.

Not true, at all.
    It was close, but Bendo looked scared to strike with Pettis the whole time. He's also a paper champ who got consistently owned by a FW. It's only a matter of time before he gets embarrassed again by the Mexican pretty boy.
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Pettis is cutting to FW after he gets KTFO
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.

Their first fight was back and forth the whole time, it was a close fight but Pettis won and it was not just because of the kick. Will the result be the same now, who knows until it happens. They both have evolved and yes Pettis felt confident that he was going to submit Guida so he spent too much time attempting submissions off his back, he admitted that and has learned from that fight.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free

Cowboy is my favorite LW but Pettis would have won that fight regardless of the kick. The kick just sealed it. I don't know if Benson got cocky after submitting Cerrone like that so quick or what. Benson has improved immensly since then and a second fight would look different IMO. Cerrone and Pettis are my #1 and #2 right now, but against Benson I can say I think they would beat him.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 814Free
    It was close fight, I meant to say Benson in the eyes of the judges according to the wrestling was probably 2 to 2, then he was kinda winning the last round, but again I guess judges are so delusional we can't tell. Either way first fight was dead even, 2nd fight... I have to go with Benson but you never know, Pettis is literally the only guy to give Benson a run for his money.
  • BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 814Free
    Cerrone's mad after losing to Diaz, I think he could upset alot of people by beating Pettis in which whoever shows up could both take it.