Dana White: Dan Henderson Will Get the Next Shot at the Title if He Beats Lyoto Machida

Comments

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,618Free
    edited January 2013
    C'mon Hendo you can do it!

Does this mean that now im rooting for JBJ over Chael? I dont want to see Dan fight Chael but I want Chael to smash JBJ.

Im in a pickle.
    Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• It's a very big IF for hendo...... I don't think he wil be able to beat machida, will be a war but I see machida winning but in the same motion it'd be good to see hendo challenge for the gold one last time.....
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 445Free

Does this mean that now im rooting for JBJ over Chael? I dont want to see Dan fight Chael but I want Chael to smash JBJ.

Im in a pickle.

No problem there: Machida wins, Chael wins ----Hendo vs. JBJ for the bronze

Tina Turner, secondsout, Steve Podborski, zaksame, Nate Diaz - when you are legit, people want you to quit
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 743Free
    What if Machida wins? Will he get the shot? Will he accept it now?

Im in a pickle.

No problem there: Machida wins, Chael wins ----Hendo vs. JBJ for the bronze

Play in traffic please b-(
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• LeitingLeiting Posts: 4,232Free
    This is the logical next step for these fighters given the debacle of how 151 turned out - however all that means is that at this moment, Dana can't think of a better fight than this one. If Chael wins or does well enough, and he wants a rematch, he'll make it...if Phil Davis scores a 30 second KO...if Daniel Cormier beats Mir and decides to drop down to 205...who knows what could happen between now and then. I'd say Dana White has about a .600 record in following through with title fights offered if a certain fighter beats another. He's gotten better about it in recent years, but it's still totally up to his whim which sways with the breeze.
    "God speed, and party on!" -Bas Rutten
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free

Im in a pickle.

ahhh...the life of hating people you don't even know

glamorous
  • TheMmaKnowItAllTheMmaKnowItAll Posts: 523Registered Users
    What about glover,Gustafson and Cormier , quite a line up coming for JJ this year, assuming they beat rampage,mousassi and Mir .
  • LeitingLeiting Posts: 4,232Free

Would Dana really want to sell Machida/Jones II if there were other alternatives? I've always been a pretty outspoken detractor for The Dragon, but let's honestly look at his career in recent years; Won the belt, and was suppose to rule over the division with an iron fist for years to come - instead he won a highly dubious decision over Shogun, then turned around and got viciously KO'd by Shogun. Lost in a decision (albeit somewhat debated) against Rampage, KO'd Randy Couture in his swan song fight, was dismantled by Jones, and then picked up a legit win against a stalling Bader. The past couple of years hasn't exactly looked like the resumé of a guy who's one win away from being promoted as the solution to MMA's undisputed poster boy. The Hendo fight was interesting because he won the SF Belt, beat Fedor at heavyweight, and then had one of the greatest fights ever against Shogun. He's riding a wave of not only success, but also of popularity.

Hendo doesn't need to convince people he deserves a shot, because he's already earned it in people's eyes - and he's one of the most beloved fighters currently - AND the idea of Hendo dropping an H-Bomb on Jones is appealing to Bones' haters. Machida realistically shouldn't have gotten the first fight with Jones, and a win over Bader isn't enough to put him in the same position as Hollywood Dan is going into the fight.
    "God speed, and party on!" -Bas Rutten
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Doubt it. Everyone knows JBJ is getting an immediate rematch.
    Believe in Beard
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,182Free
    Dan 'Hendo' Henderson by Overhand Right KO in the first. Machida stands no chance.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    edited January 2013
    Sisti said:

Im in a pickle.

ahhh...the life of hating people you don't even know

glamorous
    Its a tough job but someone's gotta do it.
    Za1994 said:

Dan 'Hendo' Henderson by Overhand Right KO in the first. Machida stands no chance.

Finally someone with some sense...

!!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 968Free
    Leiting said:

Would Dana really want to sell Machida/Jones II if there were other alternatives? I've always been a pretty outspoken detractor for The Dragon, but let's honestly look at his career in recent years; Won the belt, and was suppose to rule over the division with an iron fist for years to come - instead he won a highly dubious decision over Shogun, then turned around and got viciously KO'd by Shogun. Lost in a decision (albeit somewhat debated) against Rampage, KO'd Randy Couture in his swan song fight, was dismantled by Jones, and then picked up a legit win against a stalling Bader. The past couple of years hasn't exactly looked like the resumé of a guy who's one win away from being promoted as the solution to MMA's undisputed poster boy. The Hendo fight was interesting because he won the SF Belt, beat Fedor at heavyweight, and then had one of the greatest fights ever against Shogun. He's riding a wave of not only success, but also of popularity.

Hendo doesn't need to convince people he deserves a shot, because he's already earned it in people's eyes - and he's one of the most beloved fighters currently - AND the idea of Hendo dropping an H-Bomb on Jones is appealing to Bones' haters. Machida realistically shouldn't have gotten the first fight with Jones, and a win over Bader isn't enough to put him in the same position as Hollywood Dan is going into the fight.

To be fair, you could take a similar look at Dan's recent fights.

Bisping-one of my favorite KOs ever but it doesn't earn a title shot(ask Vitor)

Shields- he got dominated by a MW with pathetic standup

Babalu- semi-impressive win over a mid-tier LHW

Feijao- see Sobral

Fedor- win over a fading legend on a two fight losing streak

Shogun- "win" over another fading legend in a fight that 99% of people scored a draw

I think that the winner of this fight should get the next crack at Jones(even if that means replacing Sonnen). But neither one of them has the record to back up a title shot by traditional standards.

Hell, Jones got his title bid with a win over Bader and a lack of opponents at the time. Why doesn't Machida deserve the same with wins over Bader and Hendo?

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,958Free
    Jones took a short notice fight after Rashad got hurt. That is different than this situation but I have no problem with Hendo getting one last shot at a UFC title. He will have definitely earned it with a win over Machida. If Gus stops Mousasi then I think he should be next in line.

Glover could use another win over a top ranked opponent if he beats Rampage and Cormier hasn't committed to dropping down yet.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

I think it's all a pointless discussion anyway. Machida will make Hendo look amateur, much like he did to Randy. Gus will struggle with and possibly lose to Mousasi. The matchmakers will have no choice but to give Lyoto another shot at Jones.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,958Free
    I agree that Lyoto will probably beat Hendo unfortunately. I like them both but want to see Hendo get a shot. I think that Gus will take Mousasi down and submit him though.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• jav83jav83 Posts: 54Free
    Hell yeah, this is good news!
    edited January 2013

I think it's all a pointless discussion anyway. Machida will make Hendo look amateur, much like he did to Randy. Gus will struggle with and possibly lose to Mousasi. The matchmakers will have no choice but to give Lyoto another shot at Jones.

Yeah because he made Rampage look amateur too, right. Give me a break.

Hendo is not bader or coutre.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• najmanajma Posts: 2,066Free
    Leiting said:

I've always been a pretty outspoken detractor for The Dragon, but let's honestly look at his career in recent years; Won the belt, and was suppose to rule over the division with an iron fist for years to come -
    instead he won a highly dubious decision over Shogun,
    then turned around and got viciously KO'd by Shogun.
    Lost in a decision (albeit somewhat debated) against Rampage,
    KO'd Randy Couture in his swan song fight,
    was dismantled by Jones,
    and then picked up a legit win against a stalling Bader.
    The past couple of years hasn't exactly looked like the resumé of a guy who's one win away from being promoted as the solution to MMA's undisputed poster boy. .
    You put this in a very dark light. And the Jones fight comment is totally off.
    Now let's look at it properly:

- He beat Shogun via decision. This wasn't dubious, because the bottom line is that it was an even fight that could've gone either way. And many say: it was a clear win for Machida, unless you listened to Rogan's biased commentary.
    - He got KO'd by Shogun, one of the best strikers in MMA, in a fight where in all fairness the KO could've happend to either of them. It was an even fight again until the finish.
    - Lost a debated decision to Rampage. Yup. He won the 3rd round convincingly once he found his stride, and it looked obvious that he would've destroyed Rampage if the fight went to a 4th round.
    - KO'd Couture spectacularly, yup.
    - NOW LOOK HERE: Machida was the first fighter in the UFC to really hit Jones in the face, and with a good shot at that, and to actually win a round against Jones.
    - Destroyed Bader in his typical fashion.

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,432Free
    If Machida beats Hendo I expect them to give him another fight before getting a title shot, with Mousasi vs Gus winner getting a title shot depending how that fight goes.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image

He sure as hell made Rampage look amateur in the 3rd. Even Jackson admitted after the fight that "Machida whooped my ****".

You're right Hendo has more weapons than Bader and Randy, his chin and the H-bomb, namely.
    He'll need the former because the latter isn't landing.

He sure as hell made Rampage look amateur in the 3rd. Even Jackson admitted after the fight that "Machida whooped my ****".

You're right Hendo has more weapons than Bader and Randy, his chin and the H-bomb, namely.
    Tell that to shogun. Machida can and will be outstruck because hendo will probably employ that same bullrush.

Unfortunately for the Dragon, he's not fighting Ryan. Much of Machidas success is predicated on his footwork and movement, and his opponents frustration of said skills.

With Bader we saw that at a certain point he just basically threw caution to the wind and went headfirst at Lyoto. This was due to frustration.

With Hendo, there will be no moment of frustration because he will be up in Lyotos grill from the jump. Dan doesnt just chase though. He cuts angles and stalks.

By no means do I see The Dragon as an easy fight, but I do believe Hendo is a nightmare matchup for him.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

Tell that to shogun. Machida can and will be outstruck because hendo will probably employ that same bullrush.

Unfortunately for the Dragon, he's not fighting Ryan. Much of Machidas success is predicated on his footwork and movement, and his opponents frustration of said skills.

With Bader we saw that at a certain point he just basically threw caution to the wind and went headfirst at Lyoto. This was due to frustration.

With Hendo, there will be no moment of frustration because he will be up in Lyotos grill from the jump. Dan doesnt just chase though. He cuts angles and stalks.

By no means do I see The Dragon as an easy fight, but I do believe Hendo is a nightmare matchup for him.
    While there might not be a moment of frustration, Hendo will have a lot of trouble cutting angles on someone way faster with better footwork. And stalking will only play into Machida's counter game.

This fight may not be a blowout like Couture, but when Dan starts to gas(inevitable) Lyoto will capitalize and punish him. I think we may see Hendo get KO'd for the first time.

While there might not be a moment of frustration, Hendo will have a lot of trouble cutting angles on someone way faster with better footwork. And stalking will only play into Machida's counter game.

This fight may not be a blowout like Couture, but when Dan starts to gas(inevitable) Lyoto will capitalize and punish him. I think we may see Hendo get KO'd for the first time.

You think Machida will be able to avoid Hendos striking. I think Hendo can blitz him like Shogun did or eat the shot Machida hit Bader with to land the Hbomb. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hendo getting KOd sounds ludicrous to me, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Either way, Can't **** wait for this fight!
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Sadly the division is still not good enough to warrant Machida as the stepping stone to a title shot.Machida got owned by Jones and he almsot got subbed by Tito as well,so i would say his grappling game is sub par.What makes it worse is i feel Hendo is a complete bum.so to think one of these guys gets a shot is sad.The ONLY bright spot is i feel because of Lyoto's avoidance and counter stance he should be able to beat the can that is Hendo.
    Hendo is dangerous with that one wild overhand and the telegraphed uppercut he throws,but he is far from being a good representation of a title holder.if Hendo ever gets this belt again i would disown the 205 div,but it will never happen as long as Jones is there.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 965Free

You think Machida will be able to avoid Hendos striking. I think Hendo can blitz him like Shogun did or eat the shot Machida hit Bader with to land the Hbomb. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hendo getting KOd sounds ludicrous to me, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Either way, Can't **** wait for this fight!
    AGREEDI think Hendo could get embarressed in this fight ,he can't take Machida down ,and the dragons stand up is light years ahead of Hendo's, IF IT'S A 5 ROUNDER HENDO probably GETS FINISHED.Hendo might have a chance only if he comes in awsome shape and reverts back to wrestling BUT IF he chases machida around trying to land the H bomb all night.It's gonna be ugly.
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 965Free
    Za1994 said:

HENDO DOESN'T HAVE THE SPEED TO CATCH MACHIDA FLUSH.Machida's gonna pick him apart ,and stuff any takedown attempts.Theres just too big of a speed advantage here.obviously Hendo could Ko any man on the planet with the H bomb , but the dragon is way too fast ,and his counterpunching and kicks will be tailor made for Hendo.I think we might see some highlight reel stuff in this fight,Machida is gonna land some crazy kick and make a huge statement and steal the title shot .ONCE Hendo tired half way through the 2nd , it's gonna be like shooting fish in a barrell for machida
    "Obviously Hendo could KO any man on the planet with the H bomb"

Anderson and Shogun disagree

No one is arguing that Machida has their kind of chin. But Andy took hard shots and still won. Shogun took absolutely everything Dan had to offer and somehow managed to not only survive, but comeback and dominate the second half of the fight.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    He deserves it.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • Leiting said:

To be fair, you could take a similar look at Dan's recent fights.

Bisping-one of my favorite KOs ever but it doesn't earn a title shot(ask Vitor)

Shields- he got dominated by a MW with pathetic standup

Babalu- semi-impressive win over a mid-tier LHW

Feijao- see Sobral

Fedor- win over a fading legend on a two fight losing streak

Shogun- "win" over another fading legend in a fight that 99% of people scored a draw

I think that the winner of this fight should get the next crack at Jones(even if that means replacing Sonnen). But neither one of them has the record to back up a title shot by traditional standards.

Hell, Jones got his title bid with a win over Bader and a lack of opponents at the time. Why doesn't Machida deserve the same with wins over Bader and Hendo?

Iooking at your username i think it would be important to mention

Put Wanderlei out like a light.

Beat Slowbums ****.

Umad?
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5