Is Gilbert still getting the Title shot after a true #1 Contender has surfaced?

JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
edited January 2013 in UFC
Just wondering if Dana decided against his initial stupid idea of giving a free title shot to gilsquirt, and changed it to Pettis.

Either decision dosnt surprise me - Dana changing his mind and screwing Gilbert, or Dana allowing some paper bag champ to jump over legitimate contenders. Both choices show the spineless 'ranking' system the UFC has employed lately; a system where title fights are made on the sellability of a fight.

Post edited by sobercorrupt on
FEB. 2010
Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• mutharashamutharasha Posts: 697Free
    it doesn't really make much sense cos I would so much rather pay to see Bendo/Pettis II. And Gilbert and Bendo don't talk a lot of trash so basically, wtf Dana?
    #StillRallyingForMarkHunt

UFC 160 = the night Kiwis will fly.

The Kuddles Krew yo - Vitor ''The Phenom'' Belfort, Chael Sonnen, TJ Dillashaw, Frankie ''The Answer'' Edgar, Pat ''HD'' Barry, Erik Perez, Darrell Montague, Robert Drysdale, Charles ''Do Bronx'' Oliveira, Thiago Silva

FABIO!

Survivor Series 1 Runner Up (boy crie :'((((((((( )

• megasoup2megasoup2 Posts: 13Free
    I agree; business owners should never make business decisions based on whether or not it would generate business.
    I don't know what it was, really, but something about her led me to believe that she was the kind of girl who could keep a secret.
  • come_at_mecome_at_me Posts: 502Registered Users
    I agree they should scrap Melendez and give Smooth a real challenge and his name is Anthony showtime Pettis. Everyone knows gracie fighters are crap. Except warwest.
  • BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 802Free
    Giving Pettis the fight isn't trampling anybody, he's beaten the last couple guys who are in the top 5 quite convincingly. Gilbert doesn't deserve any shot obviously because he's fought nothing but cans in the canning division of MMA which is now gone.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,709Free
    edited January 2013

Giving Pettis the fight isn't trampling anybody, he's beaten the last couple guys who are in the top 5 quite convincingly. Gilbert doesn't deserve any shot obviously because he's fought nothing but cans in the canning division of MMA which is now gone.

Pettit has beat one top 5 guy since coming to the ufc
    Post edited by WarWest on
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    also nate beat cerrone and look what happened to him, bendo out wrestled guida, if he so desires he can lay n pray pettis worse than guida did. Melendez is more of a threat simply because he has decent wrestling.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,357Free
    edited January 2013
    Pettis vs Bendo is the fight I want see first, Pettis vs Guida doesn't mean he will get laid on I'm sure he will have worked on and improved his game since then.

War Pettis!!
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image

Gilbert is a can

Pettis better get the shot he deserves.

I thought it was already confirmed that Gil is fighting Bendo?

Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Gil is #1 contender.
    Believe in Beard
  • __C_A____C_A__ Posts: 97Free

it doesn't really make much sense cos I would so much rather pay to see Bendo/Pettis II. And Gilbert and Bendo don't talk a lot of trash so basically, wtf Dana?

What the hell does them not talking trash have to do with how good of a fight they'll put on?

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Pettis will get his chance...hell wait...im stoked about Gil fighting Bendo...alot of peeps are talking crap NOW...because of the onesided beatdown on Cerrone...so they want Pettis asap?it doesnt work that way...if the Cerrone vs Pettis fight was close...would we have this thread?

Pettis will get his chance...hell wait...im stoked about Gil fighting Bendo...alot of peeps are talking crap NOW...because of the onesided beatdown on Cerrone...so they want Pettis asap?it doesnt work that way...if the Cerrone vs Pettis fight was close...would we have this thread?

What up Zadaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!??

How you been?
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    WarWest said:

How you been?
    DOING GOOD BROTHER wARwest
    WarWest said:

How you been?
    lifes been good brother WarWest :) ....as long as classicboxer doesnt grace us with his presence...life is good in this forum...lol

WarWest said:

How you been?
    DOING GOOD BROTHER wARwest
    WarWest said:

How you been?
    lifes been good brother WarWest :) ....as long as classicboxer doesnt grace us with his presence...life is good in this forum...lol
    Lmfao!

You guys seem to get along quite well LoL
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,822Free
    If Guida can beat Pettis, Melendez can, too.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    edited January 2013
    its gonig to be a sweet day to see melendez revealed after he looses badly to bendo and finally silences him calling himself the number 1 lw.i still believe however that melendez will be a harder matchup, stylistically bendo is a horrible matchup for pettis. He tried to keep it standing to often in hteir first bout and paid the price he wont take chances this time round, pettis would spend the whole fight on his back.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Well i think it became obvious when he gave Shield's and Diaz pretty much instant Title shots,that he was giving the Gracie camp some special treatment.I have for a long time felt Melendez is the best and will be Champion,however,i believe in fairness and you should have to PROVE yourself.
    Sometimes there are guys way down the pecking order that have the right tool set to beat a champion,the problem is some get pushed up the ladder faster while others have to go through the whole roster to get there.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    zaksame said:

Well i think it became obvious when he gave Shield's and Diaz pretty much instant Title shots,that he was giving the Gracie camp some special treatment.

You know, you're right. Why all the **** kissing of the gracie camp, they all are annoying and their heads are too big anyways.

I do think Pettis should get the shot over Gil. Pettis just has done way more in terms of earning it, and was respectable enough to keep fighting even tho he had a guaranteed title shot before. He definitely deserves it more than anyone, but at the same time I understand this one because Melendez/Bendo was already booked. So yeah...I def say Pettis gets the winner of that fight, which I think everyone in UFC is fine with

Pettis is actually the easier fight for Bendo because Bendo has great wrestilng and that's Pettis' biggest weakness
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Sisti said:

zaksame said:

Well i think it became obvious when he gave Shield's and Diaz pretty much instant Title shots,that he was giving the Gracie camp some special treatment.

You know, you're right. Why all the **** kissing of the gracie camp, they all are annoying and their heads are too big anyways.

I do think Pettis should get the shot over Gil. Pettis just has done way more in terms of earning it, and was respectable enough to keep fighting even tho he had a guaranteed title shot before. He definitely deserves it more than anyone, but at the same time I understand this one because Melendez/Bendo was already booked. So yeah...I def say Pettis gets the winner of that fight, which I think everyone in UFC is fine with

Pettis is actually the easier fight for Bendo because Bendo has great wrestilng and that's Pettis' biggest weakness
    a fight already being 'booked'?

Seems like the UFC has changed their minds on who fights regardless of it being booked.

Gil will probably have an 'injury' soon. The Pettis fight is was more marketable
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,556Free
    As much as I would enjoy seeing Bendo and Pettis fight again, I think I might enjoy seeing Gilbum get destroyed even more.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    lol at the "best" answers
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 802Free
    edited January 2013
    I hope he doesn't, Melendez has been fighting bums for years. We saw how Shields destroyed supposedly "ausome" competition outside the UFC, then has been getting destroyed by most guys in the UFC, even almost Kampmann lol. Melendez is delusional if he even thinks he's top 20.
    Post edited by Beanslegend on