Featherweight is the best division at the moment

JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,776Ultimate
The division has built up nicely recently, and a lot of that is probably due to Aldo being out injured and having his opponents out injured for most of 2012. But it's so interesting because there's all these contenders being created and each seem to have a very different skill set to each other which poses a lot of interesting match ups in the division.

The way I see it at the moment is that there is like a podium (1st, 2nd and 3rd).

Aldo and Edgar, are on the 1st, since they are the top 2 guys in the division.

Whereas all the contenders: Ricardo Lamas, Dennis Siver, Cub Swanson, Dustin Poirier, Chad Mendes, Hatsu Hioki, Glay Guida (unfortunately), Erik Koch, Dias, Yagin, Lentz, etc. are on the 3rd podium in my opinion. There isn't any real clear guy that's next in line, but there are so many guys around that same spot that there's unlimited matchups, all of which are usually quite exciting.

If I had to choose I would probably say Lamas is next in line but I think there are some guys in that pack that could beat him. I think other than ALdo and Edgar, most of the guys in that pack would lose at least once or twice to another guy, it just seems that even at the moment.

Plus not to mention there's other top FWs not in the UFC such as Curran (Top 5), Friere (Top 10) and Strauss (Top 10/15).

I'm really looking forward to this division in 2013, anyone else?
UFC Community account: _Josh_
Tagged:

Comments

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,414Free
    Agreed some great fights to be made at FW, you left out Korean Zombie he's up there with Lamas for a title shot when he returns.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    never think...put your stamp of approval on yourfighter...and never falter...or youll be forever encased in the tomb of the **** bandwagon jumpers from hell...never be that simple ;)
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,776Ultimate

Agreed some great fights to be made at FW, you left out Korean Zombie he's up there with Lamas for a title shot when he returns.

wow! How could i forget KZ, definitely another great addition to a great division

never think...put your stamp of approval on yourfighter...and never falter...or youll be forever encased in the tomb of the **** bandwagon jumpers from hell...never be that simple ;)

what? Is this about the Rampage thread? I'm not a bandwagon jumper, I was never a fan of Rampage if that was what you were trying to insinuate
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    I wanna see Curran and Strauss in the UFC bad.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,062Free
    Lol, LW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FW all day long
    najma said:

Lol, LW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FW all day long

just because of the names? The LW division has basically run it's course, Lauzon will never be a top contender, Diaz can never be champion, Cerrone can never compete with the best, Miller can never be a top contender, etc.

the match ups are getting dry, and it's the same guys that get a streak going and get kicked down the ladder by the same guys and those guys by other guys and it repeats itself
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,629Free
    LW is still the best division, there's more legit contenders. I can see a ton of guys beating Benson, but Frankie is the only FW guy I'd give a chance against Aldo right now.
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Jbrahams said:

wow! How could i forget KZ, definitely another great addition to a great division

what? Is this about the Rampage thread? I'm not a bandwagon jumper, I was never a fan of Rampage if that was what you were trying to insinuate
    thats weird?i posted this in the Rampage thread...and for some reason it landed here and to you?...lol
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    edited January 2013
    imo LW and WW are the best 2 divisions

at LW you have

Pettis
    Chandler
    alvarez
    cerrone
    melendez
    maynard
    sanchez

that all have a chance agiasnt benson

with fighters like

tj grant
    barbosa
    jim miller
    nate diaz
    jamie varner

that are dangerous and can cause an upset

WW

jon fitch
    johnny hendricks
    ben askren
    nick diaz
    carlos condit
    damian maia

that could take the belt from gsp in either a rematch or their first match versus gsp

then you have

josh koscheck
    martin kampmann
    jake ellenberger
    tarec saffedine

that can cause an upset

also a lot of rising stars and fighters improving greatly at ww like

matt brown
    gunnar nelson
    crushank

Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,178Free
    Personally, LW and FW are my two favorite divisions. In that order. Then WW comes third. But nontheless. All three divisions have exciting hungry fighters in it and that creates for some awesome fights.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    LW is the best
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    LW is the most talent rich division at the moment followed by WW.
    As for FW, I could see Aldo and Edgar easily dominating just about everyone in the division.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

• TheUnicornTheUnicorn Posts: 493Free
    The division is getting intense, btw where is KZ
    HW- Pat Barry

LHW- Maldonado, Diabate

MW- Chris Leben, Vitor

WW- Nick Diaz

LW- Nate Diaz, Varner

FW- Bart P

BW- Eddie Wineland

Flyweight- Louis Gaudinot

Sigbet record 2-1
  • The division is ruled by Aldo at #1 and Frankie 2.0 Chad Mendes at #2. Nobody will beat these guys but each other.
    Benson 1,2,3,4,5/1,3,4,5

Jbrahams said:

thats weird?i posted this in the Rampage thread...and for some reason it landed here and to you?...lol
    well that makes sense now lol
    PunchBag said:

at LW you have

Pettis
    Chandler
    alvarez
    cerrone
    melendez
    maynard
    sanchez

with fighters like

tj grant
    barbosa
    jim miller
    nate diaz
    jamie varner

that are dangerous and can cause an upset

WW

jon fitch
    johnny hendricks
    ben askren
    nick diaz
    carlos condit
    damian maia

that could take the belt from gsp in either a rematch or their first match versus gsp

then you have

josh koscheck
    martin kampmann
    jake ellenberger
    tarec saffedine

that can cause an upset

also a lot of rising stars and fighters improving greatly at ww like

matt brown
    gunnar nelson
    crushank

Benson has already owned Donald twice and Melendez will have no chance against him, neither will Sanchez.

Only Diaz and Hendricks can maybe beat GSP, no one else.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,069Premium
    PunchBag said:

at LW you have

Pettis
    alvarez
    melendez

WW

johnny hendricks

that could take the belt from gsp in their first match versus gsp also a lot of rising stars and fighters improving greatly at ww like

gunnar nelson

fixed
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• Yeah that's one of my favorite divisions by far. Tons of exciting fighters and very technical. That division is really shaping up
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka