Should Pettis wait for his title shot or fight again?

the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,037Premium
edited January 2013 in UFC
I ask this because Bendo doesn't fight Melendez for another three months and champs usually fight every 4 - 6 months, Pettis could be waiting around until the end of the year to fight... and you never know what will happen, with injuries, immediate rematches etc...

Personally I think if a fighter is confident enough that he can beat the champ, then he is confident enough to beat anyone in the division so waiting for the shot doesn't make sense. If he loses then he didn't deserve the shot in the first place.

I think Pettis should fight Maynard on the same card as the lightweight title, he got through his last fight unscathed and should have a quick turnaround to fight again soon. I know Maynard has that knee injury but I heard Maynard will be fighting fit as early as February. This would be a good test for Pettis. If he's not ready for Maynard's wrestling then he's definitely not ready for Bendo's.

This is win win, Pettis can keep busy and earn his shot no question, or Maynard gets fast tracked back into contention...

Thoughts, opinions?
Post edited by the_enigma on
2013 predictions league champion
Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage

Comments

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,037Premium
    I guess it's just my opinion that fighters should test themselves against the best in the world regardless of titles, and if they are good enough, then the title will come to them. This is why I liked JDS fighting Carwin instead of waiting for Cain after being told he had earned the title shot.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    If he fights again I guess they;d give him Maynard, which is a risky fight for him. The best thing for his career would be to wait and I don't mind fighters doing that... unless they're the god damn interim champ.
  • come_at_mecome_at_me Posts: 502Registered Users
    I think he should fight again he has nothing to worry about he will not lose.
  • shark26shark26 Posts: 109Free
    He needs to wait ...

he takes another fight and he'd probably lose and have to climb the ranks Again .

he deserves the shot , so just wait for it

OMG Sharks

Fighters i Like to watch : JDS | Cain | R. Mcdonald | Aldo | Edgar | Rampage | A Silva | E Silva | BJ Penn | Mir |
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,646Free
    No, he shouldnt wait

But then again, I understand. I would be scared as a mofo to fight Diaz too
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,244Free
    WarWest said:

No, he shouldnt wait

Pettis would murder Diaz. The only type of fighter that can beat Petis is gonna be a good wrestler

WarWest said:

No, he shouldnt wait

Pettis would murder Diaz. The only type of fighter that can beat Petis is gonna be a good wrestler

Meh

No he wouldnt
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    edited January 2013
    Warwest slap your damn self twice real hard buddy Nate would get his **** kicked bad against Showtime. I hope to god they make this fight so you and every other Diaz hugger realizes how much of a hype job he really is.
    Post edited by come_at_me on
  • AXEINGARAXEINGAR Posts: 146Free
    I think he should fight again. If he is the real deal he will win anyway.
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,140Free
    Kinda sucks how Diaz opted to wait for the title shot and it went perfectly smooth for him but for Pettis is crashed into a ball of fire. I honestly don't know what he should do. I love watching him fight, but if he wants to wait for the title shot; he can wait for it. Wouldn't mind seeing him get tested by Maynard or Diaz. Nobody has the speed and timing of Pettis...Probably the only one is Edgar but he's down one division. All I know, is that if he waits. Hopefully he doesn't get injured and that waiting game doesn't backfire on him this time.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI

Warwest slap your damn self twice real hard buddy Nate would get his **** kick bad against Showtime. I hope to god they make this fight so you and every other Diaz hugger realizes how much of a hype job he really is.

Dont use my line, make up your own ****

Oh, and Diaz has already made it to a title shot by beating Gomi, Miller, and Cerrone

Pettis has only beat Stephens (Split-decision), Lauzon, and Cerrone Lmfao

So who is really the hype job?
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

Warwest slap your damn self twice real hard buddy Nate would get his **** kick bad against Showtime. I hope to god they make this fight so you and every other Diaz hugger realizes how much of a hype job he really is.

Oh, and Diaz has already made it to a title shot by beating Gomi, Miller, and Cerrone

Diaz was stunned by a punch to the knee/thigh. Do I really need to say more?

WarWest said:

Yes please, tell me more

Pettis got schooled by Guida, barely squeaked by Stephens (Lmfao) in a fight that most people thought Stephens won. He only has 2 good wins on his entire record (Cerrone, Bendo), and his losses are from 145'ers

Do I really need to say more?
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • jamesreed90jamesreed90 Posts: 512Free
    I think he should fight Maynard but he will most likely wait for a title shot
    Favorite fighters: Roger Huerta

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ben Henderson and Cowboy Cerrone

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

Bandwagon Game:Bruce Leeroy destroyer of my pick Sergio Pettis

Bandwagon Game pick 2:Jim Miller
  • JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,357Free
    you know what he's already been screwed over enough. let him wait and pay him while he does so.
    The GOAT Rain_Wizard slapped the taste out of my mouth.

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
  • basementbasement Posts: 127Free
    Pettis can beat anyone who doesnt wanna just want to hold him down and do nothing offensively (Guida) so I say yes.. he should fight someone else
    Favourite fighters: BJ Penn / Frank Mir / Rousimar Palhares / Diaz Brothers / Dominick Cruz.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    WarWest said:

WarWest said:

Yes please, tell me more

Pettis got schooled by Guida, barely squeaked by Stephens (Lmfao) in a fight that most people thought Stephens won. He only has 2 good wins on his entire record (Cerrone, Bendo), and his losses are from 145'ers

Now now you two.

Maynard will beat either anyways :D
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
    Mangasm said:

WarWest said:

WarWest said:

Yes please, tell me more

Now now you two.

Where the **** is Maynard anyways!?

Is he injured?
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    The best thing for Showtime is to wait for his shot. As much as I'd like to see him fight again, it didn't really work out for him last time.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    He should wait. He won't get the shot if he fights a top 5 guy.
    Believe in Beard
  • HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,157Free
    I want him to fight, but he will wait. It is the smart thing to do.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,377Free
    After the **** he has been through, he should wait for it.

He should fight the winner late summer, early fall, which wouldn't be too long considering he demolished Cerrone after being inactive for 11 months.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Dana should let him fight Guida again...let him redeem himself...
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,966Free
    IF they can get the Alvarez situation figured out I wouldn't mind one bit to seeing Pettis vs Alvarez. No other lightweight deserves it. Maybe if Aldo beats Edgar and decides to move up. (Or vise versa but I hate Edgar)

So long as Pettis doesn't get passed over again for a title shot I think the UFC will benefit.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    WarWest said:

No, he shouldnt wait

But then again, I understand. I would be scared as a mofo to fight Diaz too</blockqu
    PETTIS VS DIAZ WOULD BE SWEET

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    Might as well, everyone's doing it these days. Nick Diaz waited over a year for a title shot.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,136Free
    edited February 2013
    WarWest said:

Mangasm said:

WarWest said:

WarWest said:

Yes please, tell me more

Now now you two.

Where the **** is Maynard anyways!?

Is he injured?
    Yes he's injured. Originally he was scheduled to fight Joe Lauzon but he pulled out of the fight due to injury and Jim Miller stepped in to replace him, I believe. It could be the other way around though.

Pettis should fight. Ask Barao how waiting goes? LoL
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4