Who will be the first ever dual-title holder?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
We've heard Vera once talk about becoming the first guy to hold LHW and HW gold, we've seen Penn go for it when he fought GSP, and we've heard many other people try to make it happen

Who do you think will be the first ever fighter in the UFC to hold 2 belts simultaneously. I believe this is finally the time period where this could happen because the champs in each division are the true standout champs and it's becoming more and more predictable who will win each fight.

Here's how I'd breakdown each fighter's chances of getting 2 titles

Aldo - Probably has the best shot...Extremely young and dominant. If he gets past Edgar easily he will need a new challenge. LW division is no joke, but he may have the skills to be able to win the belt. Also, no friends in the division that's preventing him from giving it a shot

GSP - Definitely has a shot. Silva's weakness is strong wrestlers and there's no wrestler stronger than GSP. GSP had the most chance of any fighter to have 2 belts, but for some reason he keeps turning down the Silva fight

Silva - It is Anderson Freakin Silva and he accomplished everything humanly possible at MW. I still don't think he will be a dual title holder tho because age is starting to creep up on him and Jones is as tough of a challenger as they come. Also, he has said he doesn't want to be LHW champ because lil nog and Machida are in the division

Jones - Probably the best shot after Aldo. He's extremely young and going to need a new challenge at some point in his career. I see him easily beating most HWs with having a decent shot against guys like Cain/JDS/Overeem. Jones would be about the same weight as Cain if he put on some extra weight so I do see him having a shot at it
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,250Free
    edited January 2013
    I honestly don't see any of the current champs willing to step up and actually try to obtain a second belt. It does not happen quite often and BJ is the only person that had the balls to actually do it and he's a can according to most of the forum.

I agree with you that Aldo probably has the best shot with Jones coming in second. Do I think they will actually try to win a title fight in a different division? No.

The timing would have to be good as well considering it would hold up title contenders in their current weight class. If one of the champs actually did pull this off would he have to defend both belts in both weight classes? How would that work?

If any of the champs were to fight each other I think they would be catch weight non title bouts.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    Hopefully no one. Holding up two divisions at once would be terrible unless they're going to fight 4-6 times a year which is highly unlikely for a champion.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    PoloRidah said:

I honestly don't see any of the current champs willing to step up and actually try to obtain a second belt. It does not happen quite often and BJ is the only person that had the balls to actually do it and he's a can according to most of the forum.

I agree with you that Aldo probably has the best shot with Jones coming in second. Do I think they will actually try to win a title fight in a different division? No.

The timing would have to be good as well considering it would hold up title contenders in their current weight class. If one of the champs actually did pull this off would he have to defend both belts in both weight classes? How would that work?

If any of the champs were to fight each other I think they would be catch weight non title bouts.

you'd have to be an extreme badass to hold 2 belts and defend about 5 times a year. then again, this is the UFC so why not? the whole company started off on the foundation of no weight class and a no-rules cage fight lol

then again, the sport changed A LOT and the 2 weight class thing would be quite a lot of logistics to figure out. still, i have a feeling they are going to be booking some sort of superfight where this could happen
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    if anyone did it you would most likely see them give one belt up right away or fight once a year in each division.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,798Moderator, Ultimate
  • CarlosBelcherCarlosBelcher Posts: 376Free
    edited January 2013
    GSP is a dual champ already, he beat BJ
    Post edited by CarlosBelcher on

GSP is a dual champ already, he beat BJ

Not at lightweight. How is he a dual champ if he beat the lightweight champ at welterweight?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MazaMaza Posts: 106Free
    I'm pretty sure I remember Dana saying a couple years back that if anyone was going to challenge for a title in another weight class then they would have to give up their current title, specifically for the reason that they wouldn't be able to defend both without holding up one of the divisions.
  • prodigy9prodigy9 Posts: 1,646Free
    Maza said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Dana saying a couple years back that if anyone was going to challenge for a title in another weight class then they would have to give up their current title, specifically for the reason that they wouldn't be able to defend both without holding up one of the divisions.

Penn has already fought for 2 titles when he stepped up to fight GSP @170 he was already 155 champ. No talk of giving up the belt.

JDS,Hunt.

Teixeira, Shogun, Nedkov,Manuwa.

Lombard, Bisping, Belfort.

Hathaway, Semtex,

Sass, Khabib 'The Eagle,

Barboza, Barao.

Cro Cop-Penn-Liddell

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    edited January 2013
    Well Aldo is 170 ,so no big deal for him to move to 155 and yes i agree he has a legit shot for sure.
    GSP is NOT a good wrestler,his wrestling is terrible,what he is good at is take downs.After GSP gets the take down,he does very little,he uses his great cardio to force a grinding fight.
    Silva most certainly and imo EASILY could have been a dual holder ,UNTIL Jones arrived,now he has no chance unless he was serious about moving down to 170,but i doubt that.

IMO the EASIEST dual holder would be Jones,he is in the two weakest divisions in the sport.There is NOBODY with good wrestling and cardio and striking in either of the two divisions and so happens Jones is a well rounded fighter.The ONLY way Jones loses if someone comes right out and attacks him with wrestling,otherwise forget it.However who is going to have good enough wrestling to get him down AND finish.

Sooooooooooo prediction is Jones.AND Aldo.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    Rory Macdonald in 10 years
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    Dana will not let that happen....when Silva was thinking bout moving up to fight Shogun who was the champ at the time Dana said Silva will have to let go his 185 title to do so...so I don't think Dana will ever let a current champ fight another current champ again

But if he did...Frankie Edgar is the closet in terms of resume cuz his last fight with the current weight class higher champ was damn close
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,052Premium
    Someone who has history in one weight class, but moves into another and becomes champ...
    Perhaps someone they beat in the first weight class becomes champ, they could move back and challenge them. Basically how Penn got his second fight with GSP but there's nobody as good as prime Penn who's willing to fight any weight any more.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    EdGOAT. Hell, he can be three division champion.
    Believe in Beard
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,052Premium
    edited January 2013
    when aldo smashes edgar, Aldo might finally move to 155, then Edgar can become champ at 145...

then perhaps Maynard manages to get the title at 155, Frankie could become a dual champ.

Unlikely though cos Gray won't become champ, and Aldo seems to want to stay at 145 for a while yet.
    Post edited by the_enigma on
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    zaksame said:

Well Aldo is 170 ,so no big deal for him to move to 155 and yes i agree he has a legit shot for sure.
    GSP is NOT a good wrestler,his wrestling is terrible,what he is good at is take downs.After GSP gets the take down,he does very little,he uses his great cardio to force a grinding fight.
    Silva most certainly and imo EASILY could have been a dual holder ,UNTIL Jones arrived,now he has no chance unless he was serious about moving down to 170,but i doubt that.

IMO the EASIEST dual holder would be Jones,he is in the two weakest divisions in the sport.There is NOBODY with good wrestling and cardio and striking in either of the two divisions and so happens Jones is a well rounded fighter.The ONLY way Jones loses if someone comes right out and attacks him with wrestling,otherwise forget it.However who is going to have good enough wrestling to get him down AND finish.

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,822Free
    Sisti said:

PoloRidah said:

you'd have to be an extreme badass to hold 2 belts and defend about 5 times a year. then again, this is the UFC so why not? the whole company started off on the foundation of no weight class and a no-rules cage fight lol

then again, the sport changed A LOT and the 2 weight class thing would be quite a lot of logistics to figure out. still, i have a feeling they are going to be booking some sort of superfight where this could happen
    They could defend each belt once a year with the way titles are defended by the other champs.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    zaksame said:

GSP does have good wrestling, that's like saying JDS is a bad striker but he's a good boxer.

Plus are you serious when you say there is no one with good wrestling, cardio and striking in HW? That's Velasquez summed up right there, do you even follow the division? lol
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
    edited January 2013
    zaksame said:

Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,709Free
    Hendo

He's gonna **** up Bones and then step up and KO Cain
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free

Doobster said:

Rory Macdonald in 10 years

i'll bump this thread on 1/30/2023 and laugh :>
    you bump this thread in ten years and I'll laugh too..

then I'll wonder how the hell you remembered.
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • TheMmaKnowItAllTheMmaKnowItAll Posts: 523Registered Users
    If this was gonna happen then Anderson silva would have done it years ago! Dana won't have a dual champ without vacating a belt before or after the fight