does weidman really have a shot?

bartolinibartolini Posts: 668Ultimate
Does anyone really think weidman can beat silva? I think silva beats him in the first 2 rounds. Discuss.
HW: VELASQUEZ, DOS SANTOS, BROWNE

LHW: EVANS, CORMIER, GUS

MW: SPIDER, WEIDMAN, MACHIDA

WW: CONDIT, HENDRICKS, DIAZ

LW: HENDERSON, CERRONE, DIAZ

FW: ALDO, MENDES, SWANSON

BW: FABER

FW: JOHNSON

CHICKS: TATE

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,566Free
    edited January 2013
    I think he has a better shot than any other Middleweight. Saying anyone at MW will 100% beat Anderson is impossible. In fact Jones is the only guy at MW and LHW that I'd back with any real confidence against Silva
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,136Free
    bartolini said:

Does anyone really think weidman can beat silva? I think silva beats him in the first 2 rounds. Discuss.

In the fights he has had so far he looked very impressive. People will argue he looked like **** in the Maia fight but he took that on short notice and was still able to get the win.

This doesn't mean he will look impressive against Anderson though. Silva makes number one contenders look like amateurs.

Personally I want to see the fight though.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Of course he has a shot, Anderson is not god
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    PoloRidah said:

bartolini said:

Silva makes number one contenders look like amateurs.

Throughout Silva's UFC career, he has done this. But let's not forget that we've seen this before in MMA and that eventually the sport catches up to the old champ. Silva's getting older while new guys are getting better. Also, let's not forget what Chael did to Silva in their first fight and that there's a hole in Silva's game that we know could be exposed

I'd give Weidman a 20% shot
  • fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,244Free
    edited January 2013
    He is the perfect package to beat Silva. Not saying I think he will but if anyone right now can, it would be him.

First of all he is a very big 185er. Not just that but you can tell he is strong by the way he easily handled Munoz. Yeah I know Munoz isn't Silva but that is besides the point. What makes him dangerous is his ground game. If he can put Anderson in defense mode then he can capitalize on a submission. Anderson has yet to face anyone that can hang with him in all areas. I believe Weidman could if he mixes it up. If he wants to stand and bang, Silva would likely KO him but if he grinds him out for the first couple of rounds it could be a competitive fight. Weidman could win a UD. I see it being a very good possibility. His BJJ is very good and I don't see Silva catching him in a triangle like he did with Sonnen. If Maia couldn't do anything to him in the grappling department then Silva sure as hell won't. Basically Silva has to keep the fight standing and Weidman has to make it a grappling match.

There is a reason Silva is ducking him and it sure as hell isn't about money! Silvas camp contradict themselves all the time. They say they want a "name" and then throw out a name like Cung Le or Rockhold, who are no more well known than Weidman! The guy is filthy rich by now from his fights and sponsors. They are so full of **** it makes anybody with half a brain just shake their head. Silva is a duck and I will be praying that Weidman smashes him when he finally gets a shot.

Post edited by fourthnorseman on
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,136Free
    I was going to comment about how it seems Anderson truely doesn't want to fight this guy.

Is he worried Weidman will cause him problems?

Or he is truely not interested in fighting Weidman because his name isn't big enough. Well if this were the case I definitely don't think asking for a Rockhold fight makes sense. Cung le, maybe.

I want to see Weidman get another big win.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• bartolinibartolini Posts: 668Ultimate
    People say that silva's tdd is bad because of the 1st fight with sonnen. I don't believe this at all. Silva is deceptively strong, like Jon Jones. Jones and silva are lanky, and don't look like much, but they are strong. No way am I saying silva is as strong as Jones, but they're strong for their division. I really believe silva with his ribs being damaged for that sonnen fight, that was a fluke. What happened their 2nd fight is what I see happening 9 out of 10 fights. I can see weidman taking him down once or twice, but I feel silva will be able to get back up. In the end, another ko finish by silva in the early rounds.
    HW: VELASQUEZ, DOS SANTOS, BROWNE

LHW: EVANS, CORMIER, GUS

MW: SPIDER, WEIDMAN, MACHIDA

WW: CONDIT, HENDRICKS, DIAZ

LW: HENDERSON, CERRONE, DIAZ

FW: ALDO, MENDES, SWANSON

BW: FABER

FW: JOHNSON

CHICKS: TATE
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,781Free
    edited January 2013
    i dont think any mw has much f a chance at all, if someone by some miracle does beat silva they will only have to ifght him again in the rematch which they would undoubtedly loose.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,244Free
    bartolini said:

People say that silva's tdd is bad because of the 1st fight with sonnen. I don't believe this at all. Silva is deceptively strong, like Jon Jones. Jones and silva are lanky, and don't look like much, but they are strong. No way am I saying silva is as strong as Jones, but they're strong for their division. I really believe silva with his ribs being damaged for that sonnen fight, that was a fluke. What happened their 2nd fight is what I see happening 9 out of 10 fights. I can see weidman taking him down once or twice, but I feel silva will be able to get back up. In the end, another ko finish by silva in the early rounds.

I totally agree with your post however Weidman is not Sonnen. Weidman would destroy Sonnen

• He is the perfect package to beat Silva. Not saying I think he will but if anyone right now can, it would be him.

First of all he is a very big 185er. Not just that but you can tell he is strong by the way he easily handled Munoz. Yeah I know Munoz isn't Silva but that is besides the point. What makes him dangerous is his ground game. If he can put Anderson in defense mode then he can capitalize on a submission. Anderson has yet to face anyone that can hang with him in all areas. I believe Weidman could if he mixes it up. If he wants to stand and bang, Silva would likely KO him but if he grinds him out for the first couple of rounds it could be a competitive fight. Weidman could win a UD. I see it being a very good possibility. His BJJ is very good and I don't see Silva catching him in a triangle like he did with Sonnen. If Maia couldn't do anything to him in the grappling department then Silva sure as hell won't. Basically Silva has to keep the fight standing and Weidman has to make it a grappling match.

There is a reason Silva is ducking him and it sure as hell isn't about money! Silvas camp contradict themselves all the time. They say they want a "name" and then throw out a name like Cung Le or Rockhold, who are no more well known than Weidman! The guy is filthy rich by now from his fights and sponsors. They are so full of **** it makes anybody with half a brain just shake their head. Silva is a duck and I will be praying that Weidman smashes him when he finally gets a shot.

Cung le is a bigger draw then weidman.........he is a world renown unlike Weidman which has yet to fight a top dog, I hope Weidman faces Lombard, if he is successful in beating okami, for a number one contenders match...
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    he doesn't, but its the internet, and its fun to pretend
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,760Ultimate
    If he plans on strictly making it a ground fight then maybe
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • CiGaNo#87CiGaNo#87 Posts: 127Free
    The thing is that who will get the shot if its not him? Vitor wants a rematch at lhw, bisping lost his opportuniti, maybe lombard or ronckhold..buti think that anderson would beat easily this last two. The only way that chris would beat silva is keeping high the presure the whole fight, that was what worked for sonnen.
    HW: JDS, Pat Barry
    LHW: The Mauler, Glover Teixeira
    MW: Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen
    WW: Rory Mcdonald, Gunnar Nelson
    LW: Cowboy Cerrone, The Eagle Nurgagomedov
    FW: Cub Swanson, Korean Zombie
    BW: Michael Macdonald, Renan Barao
    FLW: Ian Mccall
    WBW: Ronda Rousey('cause she's really hot)

Kyokushinkai old school.
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    It's the same argument over and over. Every opponent Silva faces, they have a chance at beating them. Then Silva turns around and proves everyone wrong.

Either someone is finally going to beat Silva or he's going to retire undefeated. Is it Weidman? I don't think so. Silva's been doing this too long. He knows too much...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Actually, Weidman is looking even better than ever after this season of TUF. The top prospect on the show, Uriah Hall, is a complete beast. Weidman TKO'd him in the first round. Add that to the fact that he's undefeated and just beat Maia and Munoz in his last two and he seems like a legit challenge
    Post edited by Sisti on
    edited January 2013
    Weidman is obviously still a new prospect so I wouldn't favor him over Silva. However, his early record shows every sign that he's the best new contender at MW

Also, could anybody tell me why everyone's all of a sudden acting like Munoz sucks? Before Weidman, he was on a 7-1 run in the UFC and just beat Leben/Maia/Dollaway/Simpson in a row. His only loss in that run was a split decision loss to Okami, nothing to be ashamed of

I think people just want to diminish Weidman's win over Munoz and are forgetting how great Munoz looked before the Weidman fight
    Post edited by Sisti on
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,809Free

It's the same argument over and over. Every opponent Silva faces, they have a chance at beating them. Then Silva turns around and proves everyone wrong.

Either someone is finally going to beat Silva or he's going to retire undefeated. Is it Weidman? I don't think so. Silva's been doing this too long. He knows too much...

Exactly. Silva is just on another level of MMA that most of these other MMA fighters (who happen to be very good), yet they are amateurs compared to Silva's knowledge of MMA.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
    MMA_FTW said:

Exactly. Silva is just on another level of MMA that most of these other MMA fighters (who happen to be very good), yet they are amateurs compared to Silva's knowledge of MMA.
    chael sonnen really is nothing amazing and he smoked him at wrestling. keep in mind that there's been a lot of seemingly invincible fighters throughout mma and their number is eventually up. striking-wise no one's in silva's league, but mma-wise i do think there's a few people now that could give him a serious challenge
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,924Free
    MMA_FTW said:

So the UFC keeps giving Anderson the best contenders that they can until he loses or retires. There is no shame if Weidman tries and loses. Out of the current top guys Weidman is the most deserving fighter that hasn't lost to Anderson and probably the most deserving out of all of them.

Lombard is 1-1 in the UFC

Rockhold is 10-1overall and 0-0 in the UFC with his best wins against Tim Kennedy or Keith Jardine. Also he isn't anymore popular than Weidman.

Vitor is trying for a LHW shot

Bisping is 1-2 in his last 3
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,924Free
    edited January 2013
    Sisti said:

Weidman is obviously still a new prospect so I wouldn't favor him over Silva. However, his early record shows every sign that he's the best new contender at MW

Also, could anybody tell me why everyone's all of a sudden acting like Munoz sucks? Before Weidman, he was on a 7-1 run in the UFC and just beat Leben/Maia/Dollaway/Simpson in a row. His only loss in that run was a split decision loss to Okami, nothing to be ashamed of

I think people just want to diminish Weidman's win over Munoz and are forgetting how great Munoz looked before the Weidman fight

Well said in your two posts Sisti.

I wondered about the Munoz and Maia hate too. Maia had an even bigger following than Munoz on here a couple of years ago but the hype train stops and the "fans" on here jump off as quick as possible. Maia and Munoz are still damn good fighters and were top 10 and top 5 respectively when Weidman beat them.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    I just laugh at those who use the excuse..."Weidman is not a big enough draw"........Who cares?!?! Silva ALONE is a big enough name to bring in plenty of attention and interest, he could fight a midget and people will still tune in to watch.

I think some people here don't really pay attention to the details of the actions of the fighter. Weidman has relentless sub attempts, keeps a fast pace and working whatever angle he gets, he just keeps mixing up the ground and pound and sub attempts. It is his relentless sub attempts that just might be the ticket to finish Silva because it ain't gonna be striking.
    ThePack19 said:

I just laugh at those who use the excuse..."Weidman is not a big enough draw"

lol that's a great point

we just watched silva vs. bonnar and was entertained! if he could sell a fight with the number 25 ranked guy, i'm sure he'd have NO PROBLEM selling a fight with an undefeated exciting MW prospect
    let's be real...silva probably takes this because WE'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE. someone looks like they could beat silva and then silva wins! silva is still very close to his prime even if he's 37 and prob takes the fight. i just think it makes the most sense to have him take on legit challenges at this point. we'd still love silva even if he loses and everyone loses eventually. i just don't think it makes sense for a guy who is so extremely dominant to take on people that are not even close to a challenge (bonnar, leites, le, etc.)
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,809Free

MMA_FTW said:

So the UFC keeps giving Anderson the best contenders that they can until he loses or retires. There is no shame if Weidman tries and loses. Out of the current top guys Weidman is the most deserving fighter that hasn't lost to Anderson and probably the most deserving out of all of them.

Lombard is 1-1 in the UFC

Rockhold is 10-1overall and 0-0 in the UFC with his best wins against Tim Kennedy or Keith Jardine. Also he isn't anymore popular than Weidman.

Vitor is trying for a LHW shot

Bisping is 1-2 in his last 3
    That's what I'm hoping will happen. That Anderson Silva fights whoever the UFC puts in front of him as the best contenders.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • Sisti said:

Nice to see you step up with your posting skills, Sisti :) I'm proud of you
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,801Free
    Weidman's the best middleweight aside from Silva. He's very underrated in my opinion.
  • BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 801Free
    If I was fighting, i'd love to be in the MW division, so easy a girl could win in that division.
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 439Free
    I was impressed by Weidman and would give him a shot if I was running UFC.