My thoughts on Weidman and how much of a "threat" he is...

EccentricMeatEccentricMeat Posts: 2,317Free
Alright, for the benefit of everyone I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible.

We all know that the ONLY chance anyone has to beat Anderson Silva is if they can take him down and keep him there. Chris Weidman, in essence, is a smaller, weaker, less talented, and less aggressive wrestler than Chael Sonnen, and we all saw how Chael's wrestling worked against Silva in their rematch. Sure, Weidman has better jiu-jitsu and ARGUABLY better striking than Sonnen, but if he doesn't come out with the fearlessness and intensity that Sonnen did he is going to get destroyed.

Honestly, Weidman just is not good enough, big enough, or aggressive enough to give Anderson Silva any problems. He doesn't deserve the title shot (he was a no-name before he barely beat a pathetic version of Demian Maia and caught a mediocre and rusty Mark Munoz), he has absolutely 0 name recognition, and he gives Silva absolutely nothing to gain. When Silva walks through him like he does every other contender, Weidman will just go down as "another can put in front of Silva to pad his record".

All this fight will do is postpone the type of fights Silva and his camp are looking for: big name/big money fights. This fight will only HURT his legacy, as it will be used as just another example of "how poor Silva's competition is" just because he will make it look so easy. The only positive that will come out of this fight is that it will (momentarily) quiet the ever-present voice of the many Anderson Silva haters as they wait for the next "serious threat" to cling on to.
HW - Big Nog, JDS

LHW - Lyoto Machida

MW - Anderson Silva

WW - Nick Diaz

LW - Anthony Pettis, Ben Henderson
Tagged:

Comments

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Everyone also thought Cain wasn't good enough for JDS. :-O

If it stands, weidman will fall. If it goes to the ground, weidman has the edge because of his relentless sub attempts. Sonnen did not try and pull off any dangerous sub attempts that I can recall. To defeat Silva, one needs to pull off a crazy submission.
  • Oh_NoOh_No Posts: 114Free
    Weidman would get KO'd in the first round.
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    good post. and agreed. Wideman is a good fighter, but his legitimacy of contendership comes from two things:

1. Hate for Anderson
    2. Widemans own self-promotion
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,251Free
    edited January 2013
    So much fail in the OP I don't know where to begin. The fact he compared Weidman with Sonnen just shows how retarded he is.
    Post edited by fourthnorseman on
  • EccentricMeatEccentricMeat Posts: 2,317Free

So much fail in the OP I don't know where to begin. The fact he compared Weidman with Sonnen just shows how retarded he is.

I compared their wrestling skills, seeing as Weidman will have to use his wrestling to have any prayer in winning the fight. Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Maybe learn to read correctly before throwing around terms like "retarded" as to save yourself from future embarrassment.

HW - Big Nog, JDS

LHW - Lyoto Machida

MW - Anderson Silva

WW - Nick Diaz

• GunnerBlaze21GunnerBlaze21 Posts: 82Free
    You should get the facts bro and your option is expected since your pic is of Silva subin Chael lol but Dana and Joe have said Weidman is just about if not the biggest MW fighter in the UFC and i say he may even be better then Chael on the ground
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,346Free
    Weedman is a can

\thread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

You should get the facts bro and your option is expected since your pic is of Silva subin Chael lol but Dana and Joe have said Weidman is just about if not the biggest MW fighter in the UFC and i say he may even be better then Chael on the ground

Weidman is one of the biggest, but Sonnen was THE biggest. And of course Weidman has better BJJ, but his takedowns, strength, and agressiveness are not on the same level as Sonnen.

HW - Big Nog, JDS

LHW - Lyoto Machida

MW - Anderson Silva

WW - Nick Diaz

Weidman is one of the biggest, but Sonnen was THE biggest. And of course Weidman has better BJJ, but his takedowns, strength, and agressiveness are not on the same level as Sonnen.

Wrong again... Weidman is bigger, taller and stronger than fail Sonnen. By a long shot. Maia tossed Sonnen on his head like a little **** and Weidman dominated Maia with a short training camp. Sonnen has horrible technique and pillow fists. His mouth is the only thing with any power behind it and Weidman would crush him just like he did to Munoz.

• GunnerBlaze21GunnerBlaze21 Posts: 82Free
    Sonnon also only had a 74 inch reach where Silva reach is 76 or 77 and Weidman reach is 78 so he can be less aggressive but i do agree with you as for as that goes being aggressive makes Siva uneasy and hit-able same thing goes with JDS
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,346Free
    Weedman has a longer reach, he will dominate Anderson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Weidcan is going to get destroyed he has beaten bums,
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    Weidman sucks i hope Andy fights him so all you nut huggers will stop talking about him
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Sorry OP but i smell a biased opinion.
    "Arguably" better striking?Sonnen has ZERO striking ability,so to say arguably is LOL.
    Chael's wrestling "Skills" if they exist are no better than GSP's ,which consists of ONLY take downs.He laid on Silva for 5,count them FIVE rounds and never secured anything remotely close to a wrestling move,no arm triangles,no back control NOTHING.
    There was no wrestling in the rematch,Chael; all of a sudden thoguht he would try something tricky and THAT backfired.What Sonnen also proved is that he cannot think inside the ring,nor is he versatile beyond the one dimensional TD's.I LOL when the media had no clue what Silva was doing backing up to the fence, i KNEW immediately what he was doing,but Sonnen spends too much time rehersing in the mirror to think outside the box.

The ONLY credit i give chael is he is smart enough to come out of the gate and pressure right away,that is what EVERY fighter ,who plans on grappling should do,quit with the feeling out nonsense.

I am sorry but Weidman can't help but be better than CHAEL in EVERY aspect of fighting,except perhaps the TD's,but you don't need great TD's,just need to be decently smart and adaptive.
    I will give a few examples,if stumped on the TD,trips,foot stomps [which might open up one leg],kick the back of the knee to buckle the leg,use inside elbows to open him up,body shots [everyone seems to think it is head shots only]...ect ect.You don't even have to take Silva down,just clinch him and fight dirty and most of all use ELBOWS.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    zaksame said:

Sorry OP but i smell a biased opinion.
    "Arguably" better striking?Sonnen has ZERO striking ability,so to say arguably is LOL.
    Chael's wrestling "Skills" if they exist are no better than GSP's ,which consists of ONLY take downs.He laid on Silva for 5,count them FIVE rounds and never secured anything remotely close to a wrestling move,no arm triangles,no back control NOTHING.
    There was no wrestling in the rematch,Chael; all of a sudden thoguht he would try something tricky and THAT backfired.What Sonnen also proved is that he cannot think inside the ring,nor is he versatile beyond the one dimensional TD's.I LOL when the media had no clue what Silva was doing backing up to the fence, i KNEW immediately what he was doing,but Sonnen spends too much time rehersing in the mirror to think outside the box.

The ONLY credit i give chael is he is smart enough to come out of the gate and pressure right away,that is what EVERY fighter ,who plans on grappling should do,quit with the feeling out nonsense.

I am sorry but Weidman can't help but be better than CHAEL in EVERY aspect of fighting,except perhaps the TD's,but you don't need great TD's,just need to be decently smart and adaptive.
    I will give a few examples,if stumped on the TD,trips,foot stomps [which might open up one leg],kick the back of the knee to buckle the leg,use inside elbows to open him up,body shots [everyone seems to think it is head shots only]...ect ect.You don't even have to take Silva down,just clinch him and fight dirty and most of all use ELBOWS.

you say SOnnen has **** striking yet he rocked and tagged Silva more then anyone else has.Not his fault the GOAT can't be KOed
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    edited January 2013
    agree with the op, shoulda been rockhold.

im in compelte agreement that sonnen has better striking than weidman.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    i honestly think vitor should be getting a rematch, and weidman should be fighting the winner of belcher vs. bisping to determine the next guy to get a shot

weidman is more of a serious contender than **** cung le at least, but people are still gonna complain about it, especially afterwards if silva dummies him, and i would understand that. weidman got a big ko over munoz (big deal) and now hes a big deal

honestly, sonnen is still the best matchup, and i think he can absolutely beat anderson. i think its sad that the ufc is still what it is, and he has to leave the division, knowing he will never get another shot.

anyway moral of the story, mw division sucks
  • NewGuy2000NewGuy2000 Posts: 1,618Free
    Weidman is probably the most well rounded guy in the division.

Great wrestling
    Great stand up
    Great Jiu jitsu
    Great cardio
    Good speed
    Great fighting instincts

If anyone is going to take out Silva, it would be Weidman.

Great wrestling
    Great stand up
    Great Jiu jitsu
    Great cardio
    Good speed
    Great fighting instincts

So let me see if I can follow this logic...

Weidman was a no-name.
    Then, he barely beats a gassed Demian Maia in one of the worst fights I've ever seen.
    Then he knocks out a slow, rusty, and mediocre Mark Munoz (who also has never beat anyone notable).
    And now he's one of the most well-rounded fighters at MW?
    HW - Big Nog, JDS

LHW - Lyoto Machida

MW - Anderson Silva

WW - Nick Diaz

Great wrestling
    Great stand up
    Great Jiu jitsu
    Great cardio
    Good speed
    Great fighting instincts

Weidman was a no-name.
    Then, he barely beats a gassed Demian Maia in one of the worst fights I've ever seen.
    Then he knocks out a slow, rusty, and mediocre Mark Munoz (who also has never beat anyone notable).
    So let me see If I can follow your logic...

Sonnen is 2 inches shorter and has a 4 inch shorter reach than Weidman but he is bigger than Weidman? lmao! ok confused with that logic...

Maia not only out grappled Sonnen but he suplexed him on his head and submitted him in just over 2 minutes of the first round. Yet you bash Weidman because he couldn't finish a gassed Maia? And Weidman took that fight on short notice?! Some great logic there too buddy...

Sonnen got a gift in his win over Bisping. He shouldn't have even won that fight and he was cheating in his first fight against Silva and still couldn't beat him INJURED!

I'm not saying Weidman will beat Silva but you're a complete fool if you really think Sonnen is a better fighter than Weidman. Sonnen belongs in the WWE because his mouth is the only thing he has going for him.
    All you fools will be in shock when you see how well Weidman does against Silva. Regardless if he wins or not.
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,345Free
    he isnt deserving of a title shot. he sucks.

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,761Free
    I need to see Weidman fight either Vitor, Lombard or Rockhold (ehh to this one) before I'm convinced of his skills.
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 744Free
    Cole1186 said:

I need to see Weidman fight either Vitor, Lombard or Rockhold (ehh to this one) before I'm convinced of his skills.

Yeah, at this point he is just a promising fighter, but still unproven.

Great wrestling
    Great stand up
    Great Jiu jitsu
    Great cardio
    Good speed
    Great fighting instincts

Weidman was a no-name.

Sonnen is 2 inches shorter and has a 4 inch shorter reach than Weidman but he is bigger than Weidman? lmao! ok confused with that logic...

Maia not only out grappled Sonnen but he suplexed him on his head and submitted him in just over 2 minutes of the first round. Yet you bash Weidman because he couldn't finish a gassed Maia? And Weidman took that fight on short notice?! Some great logic there too buddy...

Sonnen got a gift in his win over Bisping. He shouldn't have even won that fight and he was cheating in his first fight against Silva and still couldn't beat him INJURED!

I'm not saying Weidman will beat Silva but you're a complete fool if you really think Sonnen is a better fighter than Weidman. Sonnen belongs in the WWE because his mouth is the only thing he has going for him.
    So because Weidman is 2 inches taller than Sonnen, he's bigger? If you couldn't tell that I was talking about WEIGHT then I apologize, but I felt it was rather obvious. Just like people say that Rampage is a huge LHW or that GSP and Alves are big WWs, they aren't talking about height. Weidman's height will have no impact on the fight, so stating that Weidman is taller is pointless.

As for Weidman taking the Maia fight on short notice, it also goes the other way that Maia took the fight on short notice as well, in the sense that he was training for a different opponent during his entire camp. So, again, pointing out Weidman's disgrace of a win over an out of shape Maia is, again, pointless.

Now, finally, I never said Sonnen is a better fighter than Weidman. I said that Sonnen is a better WRESTLER and more aggressive/fearless than Weidman is. Seeing as those are the 3 attributes that you need to have any semblance of a chance against Silva, I think it is safe to say that Weidman has less of a chance to beat Silva than Sonnen did. Also, pointing out that a roided-up Sonnen still lost to an injured Silva just strengthens my argument, so thank you for pointing that one out as well!
    HW - Big Nog, JDS

LHW - Lyoto Machida

MW - Anderson Silva

WW - Nick Diaz

• AXEINGARAXEINGAR Posts: 146Free
    OK Weidman looks absolutely amazing during the Munoz fight. He was strong, fast and on point. I would even go as far to say if that Weidman shows up again a time or two he would be more then contender ready. But he has only made the case thus far with his mouth as far as I'm concerned. Make it a time or two more with your fists then people with agree.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free

Great wrestling
    Great stand up
    Great Jiu jitsu
    Great cardio
    Good speed
    Great fighting instincts

Weidman was a no-name.

So because Weidman is 2 inches taller than Sonnen, he's bigger? If you couldn't tell that I was talking about WEIGHT then I apologize, but I felt it was rather obvious. Just like people say that Rampage is a huge LHW or that GSP and Alves are big WWs, they aren't talking about height. Weidman's height will have no impact on the fight, so stating that Weidman is taller is pointless.

As for Weidman taking the Maia fight on short notice, it also goes the other way that Maia took the fight on short notice as well, in the sense that he was training for a different opponent during his entire camp. So, again, pointing out Weidman's disgrace of a win over an out of shape Maia is, again, pointless.

Now, finally, I never said Sonnen is a better fighter than Weidman. I said that Sonnen is a better WRESTLER and more aggressive/fearless than Weidman is. Seeing as those are the 3 attributes that you need to have any semblance of a chance against Silva, I think it is safe to say that Weidman has less of a chance to beat Silva than Sonnen did. Also, pointing out that a roided-up Sonnen still lost to an injured Silva just strengthens my argument, so thank you for pointing that one out as well!
    Maia had a full training camp and still came in and lost to a guy with a 2 week notice. You can't punish Weidman because Maia didn't come in shape. He stepped up and did his job.

The fact is that Weidman is more deserving than anyone mentioned as a contender in this thread. Just because you dont' think that Munoz and Maia are great now doesn't take away from the fact that they were widely regarded as top 5 or top 10 fighters when Weidman beat them. Maia used to have a ton of huggers on this site but now people act like beating him is easy.

MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free
    Weidman is a real threat, but you can't really compare his strength and wrestling to that of Sonnen without having them actually fight each other. The only thing we know is: his wrestling is sick, and he's taller and longer than Chael. He has also proven to be a bigger threat on the feet AND on the ground.

The only reason why I think Chris should have more fights before getting his shot is because he'd gain more experience and improve so that by the time he gets his chance he'll be every bit as good as he can be, and Anderson won't take him so lightly.