Aldo v Edgar - Who wins and how?

Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
edited January 2013 in UFC
In my opinion this is a Superfight. Not because they are both champs (because Frankie certainly isn't atm), but because of their level of skill. I also think this will be one of the greatest fights to ever happen in the UFC. Neither fighter has been knocked out or sub'd in the UFC, and both can go 5 rounds, with little slowdown. This is the toughest opponent each has ever faced, and I expect nothing less then a spectacular showing of skill, heart, technique and action. I can't remember when I was this excited for a fight!

How do you guys see this one playing out?

Aldo v Edgar - Who wins and how?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    This ^^^
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
    Aldo via Decision
    WarWest said:

This ^^^

For some reason I think this will be an incredible war, and it will go all 5 rounds. Frankie is a beast!
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    Edgar via Decision
    This is the best card on paper in quite a while, regardless of the outcome of the main event. Im just excited to see all these great fighters and root for the answer
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free
    edited January 2013
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    this fight really is a toss up, but considering i'm a biased aldo fan I guess i'll take aldo via (T)KO

man o man I can't wait for this card, been a long time since i've been this excited for an event
    Post edited by Jimz on
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free
    It's so tough, I'm leaning towards Aldo because of his ability to finish fights. Frankie can finish but it's highly unlikely.

Frankie can hold a better pace over 5 rounds but Aldo has the leg kicks to slow him down. Frankie can tire him out with wrestling but Aldo has great wrestling defence.
  • come_at_mecome_at_me Posts: 502Registered Users
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    Aldo will send this guy packing to the womans BW division.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Aldo via Decision
    A lot of people underestimating Frankie! I see him getting dropped like 3/4 times, but he's so hard to finish... he wakes up the second he gets knocked out!
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,436Free
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    I went with Aldo KO/TKO I think he will catch Frankie with a knee or punch in the 2nd or 3rd, hurt him and finish. Frankie is hard to finish tho so I could see going 5 rounds but I'd still say Aldo takes a UD via brutal leg kicks.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    Aldo via Decision

I went with Aldo KO/TKO I think he will catch Frankie with a knee or punch in the 2nd or 3rd, hurt him and finish. Frankie is hard to finish tho so I could see going 5 rounds but I'd still say Aldo takes a UD via brutal leg kicks.

I am curious to see if Frankie will be able to catch Aldos kicks the same way he caught Bendos. I don't think he will, but will be cool to see someone having enough speed to catch a Aldo leg kick!
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,436Free
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    Cole1186 said:

I am curious to see if Frankie will be able to catch Aldos kicks the same way he caught Bendos. I don't think he will, but will be cool to see someone having enough speed to catch a Aldo leg kick!
    If someone could do it at FW it would probably be Edgar.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    Aldo via Decision
    TUF1 said:

1st round: Aldo picks Frankie apart. Frankie has to circle to his right to avoid the leg kicks and it throws off Frankie's rhythm.
    2nd round: Frankie looks for the take down more frequently but can't hold Aldo down. Aldo rocks Frankie. Another 10-9 round for Aldo.
    3rd round: Frankie begins to find his rhythm and keeps Aldo guessing with the takedowns and strikes (uppercuts)
    4th round: Frankie is starting to turn it on, out moving Aldo and landing several takedowns.
    5th round: See Aldo/Homminick round 5.

Aldo wins by SD in FOTY and we get another Frankie rematch :)

i see it going something like this ^^^

Frankie is somewhat of a slow starter, and I can def see Frankie taking a round or two. But for the Homnick fight Aldo suffered a terrible weight cut, and he looked like he had the flu or something. even at the pre fight presser he had to leave early because he was dizzy and fainting. I thought he was going to lose for sure by the way he looked and gassed so early.. yet he showed the heart of a true warrior. don't expect to see that again from Aldo, he says he got the weight cut under control now.
  • come_at_mecome_at_me Posts: 502Registered Users
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    Cole1186 said:

No way he catches one of theose deadly kicks from Aldo he throws those with to much force.
  • GunnerBlaze21GunnerBlaze21 Posts: 82Free
    Edgar via Decision
    I don't see how people are looking so down on Frankie, i mean lets be real, he was the little guy at 155 dethroned Penn then Tko Gray Maynard the biggest and hardest hitting LW they have and arguably beat Henderson twice as well (the statistics show it ) and if he could do all these much bigger fighters like that take their shoots and sub/ko some of them, what do you thinks gonna happen when they are smaller or same size as him i mean lets get real Aldo is not hitting him harder then Maynard or Henderson or even Penn for that matter. I went with Edger Via Decision but i could see him getting a TKO/SUB now that i think about it,

(INTERESTING LOL ALL HIS FIGHTS HE FINISHED EVEN THE SUB HE DIDN'T GO FOR A SINGLE TAKE DOWN IN ANY THEM )
  • AXEINGARAXEINGAR Posts: 146Free
    Edgar via Decision
    If Aldo fights like how he fought Homminick I see Frankie winning this one. If Aldo shows up then he wins via decapitation.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    Edgar via Decision
    never been as uncertain of a fights outcome as this one, it really could be the most increbile war ever or one of the shortest KOs in UFC history its just one of them fights where anything literally could happen.

But my gut is saying edgar via decision
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,089Premium
    TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

1st round: Aldo picks Frankie apart. Frankie has to circle to his right to avoid the leg kicks and it throws off Frankie's rhythm.
    2nd round: Frankie looks for the take down more frequently but can't hold Aldo down. Aldo rocks Frankie. Another 10-9 round for Aldo.
    3rd round: Frankie begins to find his rhythm and keeps Aldo guessing with the takedowns and strikes (uppercuts)
    4th round: Frankie is starting to turn it on, out moving Aldo and landing several takedowns.

pretty close :)
    except with no completed takedowns (well 2 that lasted a few seconds), and no aldo/hominick rd 5 repeat.

What I'm seeing as a chink in Aldo's armor... is his clinch game. It's very grappling defense oriented with no striking offense whatsoever. He has brutal knees and if he worked on that part of his game he would WRECK guys. I don't think he landed a single strike from the clinch in this fight.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

except with no completed takedowns (well 2 that lasted a few seconds), and no aldo/hominick rd 5 repeat.

What I'm seeing as a chink in Aldo's armor... is his clinch game. It's very grappling defense oriented with no striking offense whatsoever. He has brutal knees and if he worked on that part of his game he would WRECK guys. I don't think he landed a single strike from the clinch in this fight.
    :-/ i think they were clinched up twice for a total of about 10 seconds the whole fight and it was Aldo back against the fence both times. Not the best time or leverage for knees especially against somebody like Frankie
    That's what I mean, Aldo only ever clinches while on defense. He should get some offense going.

^ I agree.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free
    TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

:-/ i think they were clinched up twice for a total of about 10 seconds the whole fight and it was Aldo back against the fence both times. Not the best time or leverage for knees especially against somebody like Frankie
    Probably more than 10 seconds, I remember there being some clinch work and then a slam from Frankie
    edited February 2013
    TUF1 said:

i think against somebody like Siver or KZ it would be smart but he was having too much success on the outside to risk getting dumped by Edgar like he did in the 4th

I'll tell you what, if he did use more striking in the clinch guys like Frankie and Kenny would be a lot less likely to try and grind him into the fence after their failed takedown attempts.

I mean, look at the way Anderson BROKE Okami with knees while against the cage. Okami's whole game is to grind you down the cage to the floor and Anderson made Okami scared to clinch even against the cage, leaving Okami with NO skills to use. If Aldo is more aggressive in the clinch, he'd be more willing to go after guys with strikes because when they prevent that with the clinch, he can still be dangerous.
    Post edited by the_enigma on
    ^ I agree.

TUF1 said:

TUF1 said:

i think against somebody like Siver or KZ it would be smart but he was having too much success on the outside to risk getting dumped by Edgar like he did in the 4th

I'll tell you what, if he did use more striking in the clinch guys like Frankie and Kenny would be a lot less likely to try and grind him into the fence after their failed takedown attempts.

I mean, look at the way Anderson BROKE Okami with knees while against the cage. Okami's whole game is to grind you down the cage to the floor and Anderson made Okami scared to clinch even against the cage, leaving Okami with NO skills to use. If Aldo is more aggressive in the clinch, he'd be more willing to go after guys with strikes because when they prevent that with the clinch, he can still be dangerous.
    i get what you're saying but Aldo aint Andy and Okami aint Edgar. Go back and rewatch round 1 of Andy/Okami. Was a pretty even exchange in the clinch resulting in 2 failed take down attempts by Okami. Wasn't because he was getting handled in the clinch. The clinch was the only time Okami had success in that fight and Aldo won with distance last night so agree to disagree.
    I remember anderson / okami pretty well, Anderson landed a few knees to the body and they visibly hurt okami who refused to clinch afterwards.

Aldo isn't anderson yes, but he has brutal knees and I'm saying if he worked on his clinch striking like he has his tdd he could be lethal in the clinch like Anderson. Aldo stopped a Faber takedown with a single knee to the body... his knees are pretty legit.

^ I agree.