Dana: The UFC are to have their own official rankings

TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
90 media members will vote on the rankings, monday after this event poll will go out and votes will begin.

Thoughts?

The media scrum video with Dana goes out later, lots of interesting stuff to come out of it judging by what Ariel's been tweeting!

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night, all day!

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Tagged:

Comments

• fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    I will need to see what they end up with before i can say if its a good thing or not.

what qualifications do the media members have to rank fighters?

• TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
    fobar said:

I will need to see what they end up with before i can say if its a good thing or not.

what qualifications do the media members have to rank fighters?

The UFC seem to think it'll be easier for casual fans to follow the sport with rankings, apart from that I don't see any real benefit in it. I still think fights the fans want to see will be made as oppose to what the rankings suggest makes more sense..

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    prepare to see the same title fight again and again if they stick to the rankings
  • LenzoLenzo Posts: 255Registered Users
    I like it. Number 2 gets a shot. U can move up in ranking if you beat a high ranked opponent and are on a winning streak. Im all for UFC rankings. bout time
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    Doesn't mean a whole lot, since Dana also threw in the caveat that he'll still be making the fights that the fans wanna see. Number 2 won't always or automatically get the title shot.
  • fourthnorsemanfourthnorseman Posts: 4,244Free
    bluesy said:

Doesn't mean a whole lot, since Dana also threw in the caveat that he'll still be making the fights that the fans wanna see. Number 2 won't always or automatically get the title shot.

I agree but still think it will help reduce the # of ridiculous fights like Sonnen/|Jones

• najmanajma Posts: 2,026Free
    If they don't use objective cryteria for that, it will be nothing more than a popularity contest.

Oh and - Jon Fitch has got to be all over this news ;p
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,556Free

bluesy said:

I agree but still think it will help reduce the # of ridiculous fights like Sonnen/|Jones

That fight is gonna be great. You know you're looking forward to it.

But I know what you mean.... its just that I find these retarded championship match ups to be pretty entertaining.

!!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

Number 2 is injured and number 3 and 4 already have fights and number 5 and 6 dont wanna fight the champion the u will get situations like Sonnen vs Jones.

bluesy said:

But I know what you mean.... its just that I find these retarded championship match ups to be pretty entertaining.

I think what bugs me so much about that one is that Sonnen is going UP after losing to Silva. It just doesn't make any sense. Its not like Frankie moving down to his optimum weight class. I honestly am not looking forward to it at all because Jones owns him in every department, easily.

I will take pleasure in Sonnen getting smashed however.

bluesy said:

I think what bugs me so much about that one is that Sonnen is going UP after losing to Silva. It just doesn't make any sense. Its not like Frankie moving down to his optimum weight class. I honestly am not looking forward to it at all because Jones owns him in every department, easily.

I think Sonnen's wrestling is vastly underrated against Jones.

JbJ is more Greco style with trips and whatnot. Sonnen is mainly shooting for doubles and singles. I think Sonnen can and will take JBJ down at some point and im interested to see how he is off his back. We all know Sonnens top game is controll, not too heavy on big GNP shots. Sub par sub defense as well.

All signs point to triangle or armbar but who knows.... Jones might wet himself underneath a great wrestler.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

bluesy said:

I think Sonnen's wrestling is vastly underrated against Jones.

JbJ is more Greco style with trips and whatnot. Sonnen is mainly shooting for doubles and singles. I think Sonnen can and will take JBJ down at some point and im interested to see how he is off his back. We all know Sonnens top game is controll, not too heavy on big GNP shots. Sub par sub defense as well.

All signs point to triangle or armbar but who knows.... Jones might wet himself underneath a great wrestler.
    I would be willing to sig bet you that Sonnen can't get him down and if by some miracle he does it wont be for more than a few seconds. I see Jones reversing Sonnens first attempt and reigning down elbows for a first round stoppage, If not second round tops. Unless he decides to keep it on the feet and toy with him.

2 seconds of down time? Im in...
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

I agree I dont think Sonnen has much of a chance against Jones but I think he deservers the shot since he stepped up and asked for the fight. I wont be surprised if Jones ends it in the first round.

Lol! Ten seconds and its a deal!

10 seconds is an eternity. What about 5...
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

I think Rashad Evans could beat Sonnen.
  • TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
    The rankings will include pound-for-pound as well!

10 seconds is an eternity. What about 5...
    Lmao! Common now. If a guy lands a td because of good timing it takes at least ten seconds to work your way up.
  • This could eliminate the butthurtness from "gifted" title shots
    The whole point was that you had no faith in Chaels wrestling and even if he managed to get a lucky TD Jones would just get up after a few seconds. How'd that get to 10?
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    I've wanted a ranking system of sorts for awhile. People thinking they're next in line after 2 or 3 wins is getting old, fast.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    It's weird. If #2 is always the #1 contender than you'd be seeing the same title fights over and over. Even after Rashad lost to Jones and JDS lost to Cain they were both still the clear #2 guys. Same with Sonnen to Anderson and Fitch to GSP. these rankings are going to be terribubble.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,245Free
    Diaz will be number 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Nockout_5Nockout_5 Posts: 3Free
    Can they have a contender ranked #1 and the Champ ranked #2 like how Jones - Rua was? :)
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Good.. good.
    Believe in Beard
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate

This could eliminate the butthurtness from "gifted" title shots

but then there could be "gifted" rankings they do to try and justify their title shots I reckon
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    Jbrahams said:

This could eliminate the butthurtness from "gifted" title shots

but then there could be "gifted" rankings they do to try and justify their title shots I reckon
    Probably will be. "Big-mouthed British can #456 is on a 3 fight winning streak against nobodies, he's has the striking ability and power to knock out Anderson Silva"