WW title shot for Maia - WHEN? And: How do you see Maia vs GSP?

najmanajma Posts: 2,022Free
It's too bad that after the Diaz fight, there's Hendricks already in the queue. This mean Maia could get his chance only around 2014. By that time he may lose a fight and the chance is gone for good. He's not that young anymore.

But if Hendricks gets injured... well, the title shot should be given to Maia.
If he keeps improving his striking, apart from concentrating on his BJJ, I think he's the total package to beat GSP.

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• najmanajma Posts: 2,022Free
    GN_FDU said:

Za1994 said:

Maia is crazy strong at WW. Never thought he would manhandle Fitch like that. As a matter of fact he did that to all three grapplers in Kim, Story, and Fitch. I'm very impressed. And he is def a threat. I really want to see what he can do to GSP.

I don't think he can take GSP down, but I am definitely interested in GSP vs Maia. I love both fighters.

If he can't take GSP he will outstrike him. Once GSP is afraid of being taken down - like in the Shields fight - his decent striking becomes even worse. That's why Shields outstruck him in the 4th and 5th, which was hilarious.

Maia >> GSP anywhere the fight goes.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free
    Maia can't beat GSP but he's a top WW. His striking isn't and never will be on GSP's level and that's undoubtedly where a fight between the two will take place. It would be similar to Shields vs GSP

Maia can't beat GSP but he's a top WW. His striking isn't and never will be on GSP's level and that's undoubtedly where a fight between the two will take place. It would be similar to Shields vs GSP

Dude, if Shields can outstrike GSP, which he did, Maia can do it even better. This fight would be a toss up.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free
    najma said:

Dude, if Shields can outstrike GSP, which he did, Maia can do it even better. This fight would be a toss up.

Shields didn't outstrike him. Shields found success only when he poked him in the eye.
  • najma said:

GSP was blind in one eye from the "unintentional" eye poke.....
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Either Maia sub of GSP UD. Whenever GSP is recovered from the Diaz fight. Maia vs diaz is great too
  • shark26shark26 Posts: 109Free
    Maia deserves a shot ... it will be interesting to see who he fights next

OMG Sharks

Fighters i Like to watch : JDS | Cain | R. Mcdonald | Aldo | Edgar | Rampage | A Silva | E Silva | BJ Penn | Mir |
  • UDONNOUDONNO Posts: 451Free
    I think the MAIA vs GSP would be a good fight, because each has different things they bring to the fight. I would love to see this fight.
    edited February 2013
    Wait a minute...

ANd what if Maia would get to fight Nick Diaz? Hmmm.
    Post edited by najma on
  • PenguPengu Posts: 4,130Free
    If Maia gets on top-done deal.
    Still surprised how easily he took Fitch down in the clinch.
    Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all Night! All day!

Osu!

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 802Free
    Well I think we have to wait for Ellenberger and Hendricks, Hendricks is guaranteed of anything, especially against an animal like Ellenburger who destroyed everyone, excluding a lucky loss to Kamp. However Maia is an animal, that would be lovely to see him fight GSP after Diaz or winner of the WW tournament.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,784Free
    edited February 2013
    jake lost to kamp and he lamsot lost to sanchez, had that been a 5 rounder sanchez would have won

hendricks vs gsp if he wins the jake fight

diaz vs maia if diaz looses the gsp fight

maia vs gsp if maia beats diaz
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Built2DestroyBuilt2Destroy Posts: 288Free
    It could be a good fight, but I actually have no idea who would end up victorious in it.
    Norwegian guy here, so excuse my English
  • ManhoManho Posts: 3,590Registered Users
    Watching these two fight is as exciting as watching Shamrock vs Severn 2. I wanna see Maia vs Ellenberger!
  • creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    najma said:

It's too bad that after the Diaz fight, there's Hendricks already in the queue. This mean Maia could get his chance only around 2014. By that time he may lose a fight and the chance is gone for good. He's not that young anymore.

But if Hendricks gets injured... well, the title shot should be given to Maia.
    If he keeps improving his striking, apart from concentrating on his BJJ, I think he's the total package to beat GSP.

Thoughts?

GSP vs Shields all over again....
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    i would give Maia the winner of Condit vs MacDonald.
    I give Maia The title shot if Hendricks loses to Ellenberger, if Hendricks wins he gets the shot, so I would go Maia and Diaz, or even let Maia wait for the shot.. the fight GSP vs Maia, I see Maia striking with him for round 1-2 and relentlessly working for subs the rest of the fight while GSP tries to decision him... I honestly would bet on Maia
    text
  • naturalfannaturalfan Posts: 5Registered Users
    i wanna see maia face the hendricks/ellenburger
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    maia always was an extremely tough guy. a FOURTH degree brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is insane. i heard that the amount of training to get from a 1st degree to a second is the same as starting from scratch to a black belt.

maia's extremely legit and seeing him handle fitch like that showed me he's better than ever
    Sisti said:

maia always was an extremely tough guy. a FOURTH degree brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is insane. i heard that the amount of training to get from a 1st degree to a second is the same as starting from scratch to a black belt.

This also shows how INCREDIBLE Fitch's submission defense is. It's got to be on the black belt 4th degree too.

• DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    Gabri1985 said:

i would give Maia the winner of Condit vs MacDonald.

exactly.

Which I personally believe the waterboy will beat the running man.
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited February 2013
    najma said:

Sisti said:

This also shows how INCREDIBLE Fitch's submission defense is. It's got to be on the black belt 4th degree too.

Fitch got outwrestled beacuse he knew one wrong move would put him in serious trouble, he wasn't defending or trying to get out of those positions beacuse of that.

He let Maia control the entire fight beacuse he knew his **** was toast if he got caught in a fully locked on sub by Maia.
    Post edited by megaman on

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Pretty simple,Maia is the worlds best at going for RnC's,if his opponents fight scared,they will lose.As soon as you turn to avoid or get away,yo give him your back,it really is that simple.At 185,the fighters were at least as strong as him,so they could fight him off.At 170 he looks pretty big ,it allows him to get inside with little fear.We have seen over and over that wrestling will dominate Bjj,it just becomes this problem when fighters are afraid.
    If GSP comes out and attacks ,instead of letting Maia dictate the fight,he wins.GSP is not a great striker,imo if GSP stood around like he usually starts fights,he might get outstruck by Maia and his longer reach.
    The only problem i see beyond GSP fighting dumb,is that Maia does look to have good size for the 170 division,he might not be so easy for GSP to control.
    Maia's skill might actually hamper him versus GSP.The reason is that Maia knows better than to give up his back,however versus GSP it is a safe option to getting back up as GSP is unsure of himself in the rnc position.SO really the ONLY place Maia is in trouble is on his back,on the bottom,everywhere else Maia is better.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    zaksame said:

GSP is not a great striker,imo if GSP stood around like he usually starts fights,he might get outstruck by Maia and his longer reach.

Uhm... believe it or not GSP has 4 inches of reach over Maia and his striking is superior to Maia's also. I think that although Demian is obviously stronger than most guys at 170, St-Pierre would still be stronger and have the ability to shrug him off and serve him "THE JAB" for 5 rounds.
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,415Free
    As someone mentioned Maia vs the winner of Condit/MacDonald sounds good!

If Hendricks beats Ellenberger, he'll fight GSP after he demolished Diaz.

Then if Maia beats Conduit/MacDonald, he can fight the winner of GSP/Hendricks, or he should just fight Diaz because that is an interesting fight
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • Oh_NoOh_No Posts: 114Free
    GSP would stuff him and put on a striking clinic, get a few take downs and get back up, rinse, repeat.
    zaksame said:

if GSP stood around like he usually starts fights, he might get outstruck by Maia and his longer reach.

Longer reach? Maia? Dude, you just babble random things without any rational thought and checking facts!!
    Gustafsson - 76.5"
    GSP - 76"
    JDS - 76"
    Gonzaga - 76"

Matt Hughes - 73"
    Frankie Edgar - 72"
    Damien Maia - 72"

GTFO!
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,197Free
    This thread is over looking Nick! B-)
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    I like my idea of Condit/MacDonald winner fighting Maia, if its Mac then it would be a number one contenders fight.
  • Give Hendricks the winner of nick vs GSP and then get the winner of condit vs Macdonald to fight Maia for number 1 contender. Also what do i think of gsp vs Maia? I think GSP would use his jab very well and i dont think maia could take GSP down. I think gsp is too good at covering and controlling distance and i think it would be another jab fest with maia being busted up from the jabs and 1-2 combinations of gsp. Maia did take down fitch but remember fitch never got any takedowns on gsp either. Gsp's takedown defense is VERY solid as we all know. Even if gsp was on top of Maia i think he could survive even though that would be still very bad for GSP since their is a possible chance of Maia reversing or subbing GSP.