What's with all the double standards? Aldo will soon be forgotten.

JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
Can't go 1 day without a post crying about GSP for not going for the finish but for some reason no one cares when Aldo repeatedly pulls Abu Dhabi crap for multiple rounds while never going for finishes the moment he leaves the WEC? This deja vu fight where Aldo does the bare minimum to secure a decision is getting old and doesn't even make him close to top 5 p4p imo.
Post edited by JimmyYO on

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

Tagged:

Comments

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    i place the blame on frankie and his footwork once again eluding his way out of danger. he should have just stood there and let aldo clock him in the chin
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,619Free
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,066Premium
    edited February 2013
    There's a difference between fighting with the intention of going to a decision and missing out on finishing your opponent.

How do you know he was riding out the time for the last few rounds and he wasn't just incapable of keeping up with Frankie?
    Post edited by the_enigma on
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    actually, you make a decent point

i would say that people need to let off gsp a bit instead of getting more on aldo. it's a competition, and you can't fault someone for playing it smart. this is a SPORT, like any other sport, your goal is to play it smart. look what happened to overeem when he just wanted to be mr. cocky and act like an ****.

if we are talking about double standards, how about this one...

in football, if you don't run down the clock, you are the biggest moron to ever play the game. in mma, if you run down the clock, you are somehow doing the wrong thing?
    there are no knockout wins or submission wins in football.
    ^ I agree.

what does that have to do with trying to win a competition?

in mma, if you don't play it safe, you could get knocked out at any time. they are in there with the most dangerous fighters on the planet, you HAVE to play it smart
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    Sisti said:

in mma, if you don't play it safe, you could get knocked out at any time. they are in there with the most dangerous fighters on the planet, you HAVE to play it smart
    True. but the absolute best fighters do finish the majority of their fights.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
    Sisti said:

Ok then, imagine there are no changeovers in football, and a team decides not to score any touchdowns/goals (or whatever type of scoring there is in the football you're referring to...) and only plays to maintain possession of the ball. At the end of the match three jusges declare the winner is the person with the most possession, and/or most effective plays.
    ^ I agree.

Sisti said:

Ok then, imagine there are no changeovers in football, and a team decides not to score any touchdowns/goals (or whatever type of scoring there is in the football you're referring to...) and only plays to maintain possession of the ball. At the end of the match three jusges declare the winner is the person with the most possession, and/or most effective plays.
    i don't get that comparison because in mma as in football, the opponent will always be given the chance to score. also, let's not forget that one of the criteria for judging is "aggression," which does to an extent prevent excessive stalling.

i feel that mma is always exciting, but people act like playing things strategically has no place in mma. it does have a place, as long as people don't do it to an excess (fitch)
  • J_boyJ_boy Posts: 134Registered Users
    Frankie has never been finished so its no big deal that aldo couldnt do it either
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Hominick got finished in 7 seconds in his next fight, when shields got knocked out that quick it's all people could go on about.

Lmfao
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • prodigy9prodigy9 Posts: 1,646Free
    Reading into the Homnick fight too much. Aldo wasn't good, he was too heavy, that fight was a one off.
    Nobody stops Edgar. So after the battering he dished out in the 1st two rounds he slowed down to make sure he didn't gas, as the was no sign of Edgar slowing.
    He finished Mendes alright...
    JDS,Hunt.

Teixeira, Shogun, Nedkov,Manuwa.

Lombard, Bisping, Belfort.

Hathaway, Semtex,

Sass, Khabib 'The Eagle,

Barboza, Barao.

Cro Cop-Penn-Liddell

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    edited February 2013
    Aldo has fought three people who you would say are on the same level as most the fighters gsp has fought Mendes fair play ko) he didn't finish either Edgar or Faber.
    Post edited by Gabri1985 on
    I can't put blame on Aldo for not finishing Edgar.. Frankie may be the toughest guy to finish in all of the UFC, at least when Aldo fights it looks like he is trying to finish, where as over the last 3-4 years it just looks like GSP is going in saying yeah im gonna do enough to get the decision and be done with it
    text
  • JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free
    edited February 2013
    Gabri1985 said:

Aldo has fought three people who you would say are on the same level as most the fighters gsp has fought Mendes fair play ko) he didn't finish either Edgar or Faber.

so he finished mendes in one round with a brutal knee, he completely annihilated faber who somehow managed to hold on but couldn't walk for a week afterwards and he UD'd edgar who has never been finished in his entire career

how is that supposed to justify the comparison with GSP's fighting style

Post edited by Jimz on
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,322Free
    war gsp

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    GSP couldn't finish Hardy who Condit finished. He couldn't finish Shields who Ellenberger finished. He couldn't Finish Koscheck who Paulo finished. He couldn't finish Fitch who Hendricks finished.

The thing is, Edgar hasn't been finished.

Don't forget in Aldo's last fight he knee'd Mendes into oblivion, a previously undefeated fighter. Your thread is void.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    Jimz said:

Gabri1985 said:

so he finished mendes in one round with a brutal knee, he completely annihilated faber who somehow managed to hold on but couldn't walk for a week afterwards and he UD'd edgar who has never been finished in his entire career

how is that supposed to justify the comparison with GSP's fighting style

To be fair he did to Kosh's eye what Aldo did to Faber's leg.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free

There's a difference between fighting with the intention of going to a decision and missing out on finishing your opponent.

How do you know he was riding out the time for the last few rounds and he wasn't just incapable of keeping up with Frankie?

Because late into round 3 he just threw half **** punches while backing up as he looked at the clock waiting for the judges to give him a win. At no point did he go for the finish even though he could have.

I have no love for Frankie either. He just point fights with shadow boxing half the time but this post wasn't about him, as he is frequently criticized unlike Aldo.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• He KTFO Chad Mendes in his last fight