With Reem's Chin as Glass as always, how will he ever be a top HW in the UFC?

JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
Lets face it, a glass chin is a serious downfall in the heavier divisions. Overeem has like 11 KO losses. How can we expect him to even make it to a title fight if he cant take a punch, Bigfoot just exposed Reem big time. Every UFC HW out there is looking at Reem and thinking "ok gas him out after the 1st, then land one good punch, I win".

Any decent striker with decent Cardio will be able to finish Reem. Kongo, Barry, Hunt, CheesburgerRoy, Browne, Struve, ETC. Dont even want to mention the Kings of HW Cain and JDS... its not even close.

Call it overconfidence if you want, but Even when Reem was attacking, he wasnt mounting much of an offense at all. Zero damage. He was point fighting.

I think Reem will be a good Warmup fight for Jones at HW.
FEB. 2010
Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
Tagged:

Comments

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    He took a lot of hard shots from bigfoot actually, it took him a while to go down

His chin is underrated

Travis Browne straight up got KO'd in one shot from bigfoot, whereas Reem fell down after 6 to 7 heavy shots
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Reem was dumb, he should've tried to wrestle after the first hit from Bigfoot. I'm glad he got KTFO though, he was being so stupid and cocky
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free
    edited February 2013
    Ubereem with a 14:1 ratio has a chance, but regular Reem is like Diet Coke.

Jones at 205 can steamroll the guy who showed up on Saturday with no real effort. I used to think otherwise and wanted very much to believe that he somehow found a fighter's way -- apart from horsemeat or roids -- to become awesome after getting destroyed so many times in his early career, but judging by the results it appears that just wasn't the case.

More than the chin, it's his heart that disappointed me. He got tagged several times, even at the end of the second round. Had he actually been a smart fighter, he wouldn't have come out during the third trying to brawl and stand in front of a heavy-handed legit giant. He had too much pride, though, and wanted to prove that Bigfoot couldn't do anything on the feet. He went right after him, got caught again, and instead of trying to get away, he just gave up. He gave up before he even got knocked out. The man has no survival instinct and there's a world of difference between a guy like him and real fighters who can muster up the will to come back from adversity. Fedor ate Bigfoot's best sledgehammer fists for an entire round and was still gung-ho. Alistair, on the other hand, is a heartless cheat and it's hard to be a fan of someone who scores that high on the **** scale.
    Post edited by bluesy on
  • Beloved89Beloved89 Posts: 215Free
    I always knew his chin and lack of heart would be his downfall. Also, wasn't Overeem KO'd standing and then Bigfoot just started blasting him and THEN the ref jumped in?
    WAR CIGANO!!

Cain is far superior to Big Foot, and so is Spartacus_ to me. I should not bet against the undefeated GOAT poster.
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    bluesy said:

Ubereem with a 14:1 ratio has a chance, but regular Reem is like Diet Coke.

Jones at 205 can steamroll the guy who showed up on Saturday with no real effort. I used to think otherwise and wanted very much to believe that he somehow found a fighter's way -- apart from horsemeat or roids -- to become awesome after getting destroyed so many times in his early career, but judging by the results it appears that just wasn't the case.

More than the chin, it's his heart that disappointed me. He got tagged several times, even at the end of the second round. Had he actually been a smart fighter, he wouldn't have come out during the third trying to brawl and stand in front of a heavy-handed legit giant. He had too much pride, though, and wanted to prove that Bigfoot couldn't do anything on the feet. He went right after him, got caught again, and instead of trying to get away, he just gave up. He gave up before he even got knocked out. The man has no survival instinct and there's a world of difference between a guy like him and real fighters who can muster up the will to come back from adversity. Fedor ate Bigfoot's best sledgehammer fists for an entire round and was still gung-ho. Alistair, on the other hand, is a heartless cheat and it's hard to be a fan of someone who scores that high on the **** scale.

great post
    FEB. 2010
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free
    His chin isn't the best but you make him sound like Mir. He's nowhere near that bad. He took a lot of heavy shots from a 265+ lbs man, more than I thought he could. You're right about him standing no chance striking with JDS though. I just feel like Reem was beating Bigfoot and wasn't even trying for 2 rounds. He could've finished that fight round 1, did you see the GNP? That is a big man smashing your face lol.
  • You're right about him standing no chance striking with JDS though.

lol
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free

His chin isn't the best but you make him sound like Mir. He's nowhere near that bad. He took a lot of heavy shots from a 265+ lbs man, more than I thought he could. You're right about him standing no chance striking with JDS though. I just feel like Reem was beating Bigfoot and wasn't even trying for 2 rounds. He could've finished that fight round 1, did you see the GNP? That is a big man smashing your face lol.

I would wager Frank's chin and heart being substantially more sturdy than Alistair's. Mir got pinned and assaulted by Brock for the entire first round of their second fight and stayed in there. He got blasted by Carwin like 30 times full-on, some to the back of the head, and was instinctively grabbing ahold of his arm for a kimura until he went unconscious. He was on the verge of being finished by Big Nog and pulled off the upset submission of the century. Overeem, though, has never come back from adversity or survived an unholy beatdown.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    wasnt his chin but his cardio, he was sturggling in the 3rd which resulted in him being open to some serious shots that would have kod most.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,847Free
    edited February 2013
    :-S
    Post edited by classicboxer on
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

Cain Velasquez was accused of having the same problem.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free

Cain Velasquez was accused of the same problem.

By trolls, Overeem has actually been KOed 5 times
    well, what is his bigger problem... chin or Cardio?
    FEB. 2010
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,811Moderator, Ultimate
    If he didnt rely on his knee so much he could be champ. He must have thrown maybe 10 punches and one kick.

That was the dumbest gameplan ever
    imageimage
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    i don't understand why these guys stay in clinches or in the ground and tire themselves if they cannot do any type of damage... especially Overeem the K1 grand prix champion who was considered the best striker at heavyweight
    Banutu said:

especially Overeem the K1 grand prix champion who was considered the best striker at heavyweight

ufc hype machine and the sheep who follow make this statement even close to true
    FEB. 2010
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
    edited February 2013
    His biggest problem is misplaced arrogance and no PED's.
    Post edited by JimmyYO on

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• KingZerxstKingZerxst Posts: 2,273Free

ufc hype machine and the sheep who follow make this statement even close to true

Come on now. People were spewing that BS while he was crushing cans in StrikeForce. "UBEREEM NEXT UFC CHAMP HW DIVISION IS SO THIN REEM WOULD SMASH CAIN AND JDS" The hypetrain was rolling long before his UFC debut
    HW: CroCop, Rutten, JDS

LHW: D. Henderson, Liddell

MW: A. Silva, W. Silva,

WW: Condit, GSP

LW: B. Henderson, Cerrone, Pettis

FW: Aldo

Member of the H-Bomb squad
  • HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,185Free
    Overeem is already a top HW, but he will never hold gold in the UFC imo.
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,811Moderator, Ultimate

Banutu said:

especially Overeem the K1 grand prix champion who was considered the best striker at heavyweight

THIS!!!!!

Reem possibly had the easiest GP road, except for maybe this years GP that CC is in or the year that Hunt won.

Spong is a beefy heavyweight and would probably fight at 205 in kickboxing if that division was actually established and Reem couldnt finish him. Saki was injured going into the second round and ONLY went in bc at the time they were both GG guys and they wanted to give Reem a pass. Then Aerts, god love him, shouldnt have been in the final because apparently he was pissing blood after the schilt fight
    imageimage
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,245Free
    I think he is still a top HW in the UFC. I don't see him winning the title anytime soon, but I still think he is better than most. Look at JDS/Cain 1....it only takes one punch, and if you are a world class striker, that may be all you need. HW is a crazy division. Anyone can get KO'd at any time.
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • BirdhoundBirdhound Posts: 301Free
    edited February 2013
    Why do people think Reem has a glass chin? In the last 12 years hes been KOd/TKOd only by he heaviest hitters at 205, its not like hes the only person prime Chuck and Shogun KOd, and why his corner threw in the towel against Little Nog is a mystery tbh. Kharitonov was ranked 6 or 7 in the world at HW when they fought and it was Reems second fight after moving back up, and Bigfoot may have some weaknesses, but power isn't one of them. The reason he gets hit (up until Bigfoot) is because he is an agressive striker and he takes chances, thats why hes (usually) exciting to watch. He clearly didn't take Silva seriously, you can't stand in front of any legit HW with your hands at your waist for that long and expect not to get hit and his cardio has always been suspect at HW. He may never win the title, but if he fights at his best then i for one wouldn't bet against him beating any current UFC HW on any given night.
    Post edited by Birdhound on
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free

how can you question Mirs chin... He can hang in there after some hard shots.... then again im not surprised after half the crap you post
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    i honestly never really payed attention to his loses i was that hardcore of a fan of him, i thought the ones to ko him was shogun twice and that russian, i look but wow he has been knocked a few times, maybe he needs the juice to stay on top

• GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,820Free
    chanman20 said:

how can you question Mirs chin... He can hang in there after some hard shots.... then again im not surprised after half the crap you post

I'm Mir's biggest fan, and even I question his chin. It's as bad as Overeem's, but Mir has heart and the will to fight through hard situations until he gets put to sleep.
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    AxeMurduh said:

i honestly never really payed attention to his loses i was that hardcore of a fan of him, i thought the ones to ko him was shogun twice and that russian, i look but wow he has been knocked a few times, maybe he needs the juice to stay on top

then he cant fight in the UFC...and well have to see him fighting in Japan where they dont care if you juice

AxeMurduh said:

then he cant fight in the UFC...and well have to see him fighting in Japan where they dont care if you juice
    The UFC cares for certain fighters, that's why they don't test everyone "randomly."
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    edited February 2013
    reem has an icecream cone for a chin, but if he fights smart then he mgiht beat big country and kongo,
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free
    PunchBag said:

reem has an icecream cone for a chin, but if he fights smart then he mgiht beat big country and kongo,

Maybe if he moves to Jackson's and picks up their classic gameplan of running away