Alistair Overeem: What really beat him at 156?

NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
Alistair Overeem, UFC Heavyweight Title Contender Hopeful, had his dreams squashed by the Brazilian Giant, Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva this past Saturday at UFC 156.

Overeem was considered a heavy favorite over Silva, and was expected to make short work of the Brazilian by most MMA fans and journalists. In the first two rounds an obvious playfulness was apparent in Overeem's approach he picked and toyed with Silva.

There were multiple opportunities for Overeem to go for a TKO or KO on Silva and he simply did not swing at the giant. And shockingly in the third round, Silva landed a devastating combo of strikes that put Alistair down forcing referee Herb Dean to make the call on the stoppage via TKO.

In my opinion after rewatching the fight several times, I believe that Overeem's complete lack of respect for Bigfoot's power and his unwillingness to go for the finish, so he could toy with Silva, is what really defeated Overeem. Overeem's going to have a lot to work on, including learning how to respect opponents.

There have been talks of a possible fight between Overeem and JDS, to which I will definitely be looking forward to. Despite his loss, I still consider Overeem one of the most dangerous heavyweights in the UFC and in the sport of MMA as a whole.

I mean no disrespect to Bigfoot, he took the win because he kept his composure and capitalized like any good fighter would. Hats off to the big man.
Post edited by NikkiNeversleep on

Comments

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,723Free
    edited February 2013
    His dumb *** cockiness beat him
    Post edited by WarWest on
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Muzzle_rousey_pleaseMuzzle_rousey_please Posts: 231Free
    edited February 2013
    His chin and lack of testosterone amongst trying to fight like Anderson silva.... Might I had.... He was KOd whilst standing everyone knows that they just said tko not to tarnish the he of Reem the queen
    Post edited by Muzzle_rousey_please on
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    Reem got too close

He should of kept distance so he could strike and get out of range, he got right in Bigfoots face, asked to trade shots and backed himself against the cage

fight was prolly rigged though
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Beloved89Beloved89 Posts: 215Free
    Bigfoot is what really beat him at UFC 156.
    WAR CIGANO!!

Cain is far superior to Big Foot, and so is Spartacus_ to me. I should not bet against the undefeated GOAT poster.
  • Brent555Brent555 Posts: 3,099Free
    There appeared to be some big ugly guy getting his hand raised at the end, I guess the ref thought that he was responsible.
    boxing@boxing.nv.gov <boxing@boxing.nv.gov>

This is the e-mail belonging to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Any complaints due to poor judging should be directed to them. Let your voice be heard
    WarWest said:

His dumb *** cockiness beat him

Travis did the same ^^^ against Launchpad McQuack and he got the same treatment
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Lmao ^^^
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,165Free
    This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:
    OK, many people asked me, so lets talk about the Overeem fight.
    I had a lot of heat from “new fans” (I guess), or fans that never check stats on fighters.
    Let me be perfectly clear, I started fighting September 1993, yes that’s right, even before the UFC had their first show! So I have been around a very long time, in September actually 20 years!

During that time, you all know that I always speak my mind, I will NOT make something up because I don’t like a certain fighter personally, because when I am wrong, it makes me look like an idiot and I simply don’t like to look like an idiot.

Same as that you won’t find even one product that I endorse which is not good, everything I endorse I stand 100% behind. I could have made much more money if I wanted, but then I had to endorse something that I didn’t believe it, so I never did.

Before the fight I said that: ” Overeem is an animal, really good striker, great on the ground as well, hard G&P, he only has to connect and the fight will probably be over, and that for a HW, he always comes “in shape”. But…. he has a “glass jaw”.
    Now saying that he has a “glass jaw”, doesn’t means he’s gonna lose. I mean, he became the K1 Champion and those guys are the BEST strikers in the world, and they couldn’t hit him. So he will probably win this fight against BF, I am just saying that Big Foot has upset the world before and stopped Fedor (Freaking Fedor people!! In my book still the greatest), so he can do it again!”

Now, from this whole statement above that I made about AO, I think I gave him a lot of props? I ONLY said he had a glass jaw, (which is true), but for some reason many fans forgot the props I gave him and ONLY focused on the “glass jaw” comment. THAT just blows my mind. And especially because they said I only mentioned the “glass jaw” because I don’t like him?

OK, let’s break this down:
    From 2005 till 2007 he had 7 fights from which he lost 5 and 4 of those losses were by way of KO. (Shogun KO’d him as well three fights before those 7 fights) The whole world of MMA at that time was saying he had a glass jaw (from his THEN 11 losses, 7 were by KO, now 12-8), not only me.

And, I said, “because he has a glass jaw, that’s why Overeems team GG changed his weight and his fighting style after he lost his last fight against Kharitonov”.
    From that moment on he would only throw “single attacks”, meaning, there will always be at least ONE hand on his jaw!

When AO was going to fight JDS (Before he got caught with roids there was talk about it), people asked me who I thought would win and I said “JDS”, which I truly believe would happen (I don’t care what other people think, it’s what I think).
    Then they said, “You just say this because you don’t like AO”. I said “Really? So why did I tell people that he was going to beat Brock Lesnar? I mean, didn’t like him as a person at that time already but I still said he would beat Lesnar”. So how’s that possible when you “reason” like you do? Of course it would become silent….

And about the fight, I am not going into the “other things” people are talking about, I only say this:
    I don’t think AO underestimated BF because he would be a complete idiot if he did, NEVER look pass your fight, every fighter knows this, plus again, BF stopped the great Fedor! I think the reason he lost is that he steered away from his team (GG), where a guy like Gokhan Saki would work circles around him in training, you NEED guys like that to train with because now he steered away from the “one strike attacks” and from “always having at least one hand on his jaw”, he actually didn’t have ANY hands at his jaw?
    (Don’t be dumb now and say that he beat Saki in the K1, because yes he did, but the world knew also that Saki had a broken hand and ARM going into that fight, ask anybody who has seen them spar together about who comes out on top)

He steered away from his “winning combination”. He started throwing combinations and that will open him up for counters. I believe in training (wherever he trains now) that he’s probably the best guy there and that nobody really poses a threat to him. Think about it, because that could be the only reason for him to steer away from what he used to do, from what he used to "NEED TO DO" otherwise he would get floored in training because of the talent he trained with.

That’s what I think, now I know he was very rude towards BF and maybe his “acting” started to take over and he started to believe himself and forgot about Fedor, so maybe he did get a little “over confident”, but still, never break a winning combination.

My stretch routine in the classes I teach has been exactly the same for the last 15 years, sometimes the students ask me “Can’t we do something different?”. And you know what I say? Say: “No, because with this routine I NEVER, EVER had an injury, so why would I change it?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Godspeed and party on
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:
    I had a lot of heat from “new fans” (I guess), or fans that never check stats on fighters.
    Let me be perfectly clear, I started fighting September 1993, yes that’s right, even before the UFC had their first show! So I have been around a very long time, in September actually 20 years!

During that time, you all know that I always speak my mind, I will NOT make something up because I don’t like a certain fighter personally, because when I am wrong, it makes me look like an idiot and I simply don’t like to look like an idiot.

Same as that you won’t find even one product that I endorse which is not good, everything I endorse I stand 100% behind. I could have made much more money if I wanted, but then I had to endorse something that I didn’t believe it, so I never did.

Before the fight I said that: ” Overeem is an animal, really good striker, great on the ground as well, hard G&P, he only has to connect and the fight will probably be over, and that for a HW, he always comes “in shape”. But…. he has a “glass jaw”.
    Now saying that he has a “glass jaw”, doesn’t means he’s gonna lose. I mean, he became the K1 Champion and those guys are the BEST strikers in the world, and they couldn’t hit him. So he will probably win this fight against BF, I am just saying that Big Foot has upset the world before and stopped Fedor (Freaking Fedor people!! In my book still the greatest), so he can do it again!”

Now, from this whole statement above that I made about AO, I think I gave him a lot of props? I ONLY said he had a glass jaw, (which is true), but for some reason many fans forgot the props I gave him and ONLY focused on the “glass jaw” comment. THAT just blows my mind. And especially because they said I only mentioned the “glass jaw” because I don’t like him?

From 2005 till 2007 he had 7 fights from which he lost 5 and 4 of those losses were by way of KO. (Shogun KO’d him as well three fights before those 7 fights) The whole world of MMA at that time was saying he had a glass jaw (from his THEN 11 losses, 7 were by KO, now 12-8), not only me.

And, I said, “because he has a glass jaw, that’s why Overeems team GG changed his weight and his fighting style after he lost his last fight against Kharitonov”.
    From that moment on he would only throw “single attacks”, meaning, there will always be at least ONE hand on his jaw!

When AO was going to fight JDS (Before he got caught with roids there was talk about it), people asked me who I thought would win and I said “JDS”, which I truly believe would happen (I don’t care what other people think, it’s what I think).
    Then they said, “You just say this because you don’t like AO”. I said “Really? So why did I tell people that he was going to beat Brock Lesnar? I mean, didn’t like him as a person at that time already but I still said he would beat Lesnar”. So how’s that possible when you “reason” like you do? Of course it would become silent….

And about the fight, I am not going into the “other things” people are talking about, I only say this:
    I don’t think AO underestimated BF because he would be a complete idiot if he did, NEVER look pass your fight, every fighter knows this, plus again, BF stopped the great Fedor! I think the reason he lost is that he steered away from his team (GG), where a guy like Gokhan Saki would work circles around him in training, you NEED guys like that to train with because now he steered away from the “one strike attacks” and from “always having at least one hand on his jaw”, he actually didn’t have ANY hands at his jaw?
    (Don’t be dumb now and say that he beat Saki in the K1, because yes he did, but the world knew also that Saki had a broken hand and ARM going into that fight, ask anybody who has seen them spar together about who comes out on top)

He steered away from his “winning combination”. He started throwing combinations and that will open him up for counters. I believe in training (wherever he trains now) that he’s probably the best guy there and that nobody really poses a threat to him. Think about it, because that could be the only reason for him to steer away from what he used to do, from what he used to "NEED TO DO" otherwise he would get floored in training because of the talent he trained with.

That’s what I think, now I know he was very rude towards BF and maybe his “acting” started to take over and he started to believe himself and forgot about Fedor, so maybe he did get a little “over confident”, but still, never break a winning combination.

My stretch routine in the classes I teach has been exactly the same for the last 15 years, sometimes the students ask me “Can’t we do something different?”. And you know what I say? Say: “No, because with this routine I NEVER, EVER had an injury, so why would I change it?

Godspeed and party on

too short

definately read
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    edited February 2013
    didn't read lol ^

And Rutten can be an annoying tool
    Post edited by ultimatefightingchamp on
  • Think about it guys Bigfoot isn't a can, he last fight loss in sf was against dc which is probley the one of a couple of people that I confidently could say would beat Cain, then his welcoming fight was against the former UFC champ at the time who just lost his title....so I dare say after losing two in a row against possibly the top 2 heavyweights in the world......he is top 5 but I don't honk he will wear the belt but he is a dangerous fight for most of the heavyweights
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
    Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:

Godspeed and party on

TT:DR

Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    Beloved89 said:

Bigfoot is what really beat him at UFC 156.

Think about it guys Bigfoot isn't a can, he last fight loss in sf was against dc which is probley the one of a couple of people that I confidently could say would beat Cain, then his welcoming fight was against the former UFC champ at the time who just lost his title....so I dare say after losing two in a row against possibly the top 2 heavyweights in the world......he is top 5 but I don't honk he will wear the belt but he is a dangerous fight for most of the heavyweights

Don't get me wrong I'm taking anything away from Bigfoot. But Reem was definitely the favorite to take this fight. And I feel like he could've in the first two rounds multiple times but was having too much fun mocking Bigfoot and then by the 3rd round he was too tired from throwing a 265+ lbs man around for 2 rounds. And Bigfoot kept his composure and capitalized, kudos to him. I never thought he was a can anyways. He's lost to Werdum (in line for title shot), Daniel Cormier (one of the best talents to come into MMA for a long time) and Cain (UFC Heavyweight Champion). That doesnt sound like a can to me.
  • Nah he didn't even really hurt Bigfoot IMO he was only point fighting when Reem was on top of him he did nothing, and I really think he wen for the take down coz he was running outta juice.......I had Bigfoot winning weeks ago.....I really don't think he could hang with many of the heavyweights like I think he beats the likes of Brendan schuab,mat mitrione...... But other then that most of the other big boys have chins.....

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:

Godspeed and party on

Tell that to El Guapo himself. ;)
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free

Nah he didn't even really hurt Bigfoot IMO he was only point fighting when Reem was on top of him he did nothing, and I really think he wen for the take down coz he was running outta juice.......I had Bigfoot winning weeks ago.....I really don't think he could hang with many of the heavyweights like I think he beats the likes of Brendan schuab,mat mitrione...... But other then that most of the other big boys have chins.....

You really think those shots in round 1 didn't hurt Bigfoot, he was looking pretty glossy eyed to me.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    He forgot he wasn't fighting Brock Lesnar.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    Alistair was trying to get fancy and roll with Bigfoot's punches, but at no point was he just toying with him when he could have knocked him out silly. He was afraid to stand with Silva and that's why his first instinct was to clinch and wall-n-stall when he couldn't land any good strikes from his range. He also couldn't do JACK on the ground. Huffin' and puffin' and gassin' from doing nothing.

Personally, I believe Silva connected hard at the end of the second round and Reem just couldn't believe it. As a K-1 champion, he just didn't wanna admit to himself or show others that Bigfoot was capable of hurting him like that in his own area of expertise. THAT'S why he came out during the third round with determination, trying to erase the embarrassment with redemption. But, in the process, he got reckless and ended up getting rocked. And, as we all know, whenever Alistair gets rocked he's ripe for the picking and has virtually no will to recover.

Yes, he was stupid. BUT, his technique and skill also failed him. Maybe it was a bad night or he was afraid of the takedown, but his striking itself, his clinchwork, and his ground n' pound all looked horrendous. You can't chalk this loss up to him being cocky only. He sucked blue balls all across the board.
  • ^^ couldn't of said it better

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,061Premium
    What happened to his kicks? They were nowhere to be seen, and don't say he was afraid of the takedown because he used them against Lesnar.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • What happened to his kicks? They were nowhere to be seen, and don't say he was afraid of the takedown because he used them against Lesnar.

Overeem went full retard. Simple as that
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    None of ya'll seem to know the truth. He lost on purpose so he could fight JDS.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
    Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:

Godspeed and party on

OK, I'll call him right now

Derp

Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Beloved89Beloved89 Posts: 215Free
    bluesy said:

Alistair was trying to get fancy and roll with Bigfoot's punches, but at no point was he just toying with him when he could have knocked him out silly. He was afraid to stand with Silva and that's why his first instinct was to clinch and wall-n-stall when he couldn't land any good strikes from his range. He also couldn't do JACK on the ground. Huffin' and puffin' and gassin' from doing nothing.

Personally, I believe Silva connected hard at the end of the second round and Reem just couldn't believe it. As a K-1 champion, he just didn't wanna admit to himself or show others that Bigfoot was capable of hurting him like that in his own area of expertise. THAT'S why he came out during the third round with determination, trying to erase the embarrassment with redemption. But, in the process, he got reckless and ended up getting rocked. And, as we all know, whenever Alistair gets rocked he's ripe for the picking and has virtually no will to recover.

Yes, he was stupid. BUT, his technique and skill also failed him. Maybe it was a bad night or he was afraid of the takedown, but his striking itself, his clinchwork, and his ground n' pound all looked horrendous. You can't chalk this loss up to him being cocky only. He sucked blue balls all across the board.

Man I love you. lol
    WAR CIGANO!!

Cain is far superior to Big Foot, and so is Spartacus_ to me. I should not bet against the undefeated GOAT poster.
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    edited February 2013
    I was watching the fight and i was wondering when will Alistair throw a kick to the liver...when will Alistair throw a knee from range...why would Alistair lay n'pray or stay in the clinch and tire himself if he can't do damage.

I thought hes something else and had little doubts about him, but now this fight showed me hes a can, and you should never trust a guy who got knocked out more than 10 times in his career, and especially if he failed his drug test in his last upcoming fight.
    Post edited by Banutu on
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    his cardio was also a factor, he really slowed down in the 3rd round
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:

Godspeed and party on

Derp

You can't call him. Tweet him or facebook him. Geez. What an idiot. :-@
    Represent Roufusport:
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Za1994 said:

This is what beated him.

Bas Rutten:

Godspeed and party on

Derp

You can't call him. Tweet him or facebook him. Geez. What an idiot. :-@
    You are telling me to tweet or facebook him "TT;DR"

And calling me an idiot at the same time

Derp
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Wolf1989Wolf1989 Posts: 326Free
    i believe his pure cockyness and disrespect of big foots abilities is what lost him that fight its happened dozens of times and will happen again look at jardine vs alexander or jardine vs griffen or arlovski vs rogers i agree with the OP never underestimate anyone
    JDS, Fedor, DC, Overeem, Swanson, Ferreira, E.Silva, Weidman, Sonnen, W.Silva, Belfort, J.Miller, Rothwell, Mitrione, Poirier, Barao, Gustafsson, Shogun, Munoz , Boetch, Maia, Jacare, Condit, Kampmann,Hendricks, Teixeria, Grant, Bendo, Cerrone, Pettis, Penn, Sanchez