Aldo vs Pettis booked for August 3

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
It’s official. Former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis (16-2) will clash with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo (22-1) on August 3. Two of the sport’s most exciting, effective strikers will meet each other in a main event that could well take Fight of the Year honours... Read more at MMA Lives Here
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments

• megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited February 2013
    LOL!

It's true...

Why does the UFC even have divisions anymore?

I guess since Benson is already fighting Gilbert this makes sense for Pettis, kudos to him for not wanting to just wait for the champion and remain active, but why not fight someone else before going straight to the top?

What about Lamas? What about KZ? What about Siver?

Guys who have actually BEATEN fighters on their way to the top in that division, what happens to them?

Complete disrespect by the UFC yet again...
    Post edited by megaman on

TUF1 said:

megaman said:

LOL!

It's true...

Why does the UFC even have divisions anymore?

I guess since Benson is already fighting Gilber this makes sense, but why not fight someone else before going straight to the top?

it's BS dude

sketchy site
    Aldo just fought. They wouldn't make the match up this soon.
    Why would they wait 6 months to make the match up? The whole point of using Pettis is to keep him from sitting on the shelf for 6 months till Hendo/Melendez plays out.
    I think they'll make Aldo/Pettis but they won't wait 6 months to put it together.
    More sites are reporting it now.

Guida is more legit than Pettis in that division why doesn't he face Guida in a rematch before fighting Aldo?

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,626Free
    megaman said:

Guida is more legit than Pettis in that division why doesn't he face Guida in a rematch before fighting Aldo?

Because Guida just lost to Hioki

megaman said:

Even if that was true, he lost to Guida so why not avenge that loss in this new division and then fight for the title?

While doing this he would let the true number one contender (Lamas), face the champion.

• MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
    edited February 2013
    TUF1 said:
    it's BS dude

sketchy site
    Aldo just fought. They wouldn't make the match up this soon.
    Why would they wait 6 months to make the match up? The whole point of using Pettis is to keep him from sitting on the shelf for 6 months till Hendo/Melendez plays out.
    I think they'll make Aldo/Pettis but they won't wait 6 months to put it together.

USA Today is sketchy?!
    Post edited by MMALivesHere on
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,626Free
    megaman said:

megaman said:

Even if that was true, he lost to Guida so why not avenge that loss in this new division and then fight for the title?

While doing this he would let the true number one contender (Lamas), face the champion.
    He doesn't need to he's already moved onto bigger and better fights.

megaman said:

megaman said:

He doesn't need to he's already moved onto bigger and better fights.
    He moved on to fight guys that he can actually beat.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,068Premium
    As much as I don't like the contenders who've been working at 145 this entire time being leapfrogged twice in a row, this will be a great fight. Aldo is a more functional style striker and Pettis is more flashy, but Pettis will have the height and range advantage, which in a kickboxing/muay thai style bout is huge. Who knows, maybe Pettis is really is the no.1 lightweight who can make featherweight... this is essentially a fight of the same caliber as what Frankie vs Aldo is, considering Pettis has a win over the lw champ.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• amuneraamunera Posts: 1,902Free
    Holy crap on a cracker if i fought in fw i would just quit since apparently it is the divition to keep busy fighters that for one or another reason cannot be champs at lw. At least Florian fought before his title shot...

Of course it is a good fight but it is 100% disrespectful
    Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
    Fav:
    HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez

• amuneraamunera Posts: 1,902Free
    Yes tkoing cerrone is better than beating non convincingly thompson. Screw gil not the Fw division.
    Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
    Fav:
    HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez

• J_boyJ_boy Posts: 134Registered Users
    Aldo just fought he needs time to recover the ufc must be pushing for it
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    Sorry but I would rather Aldo fight KZ or make a move up to LW and have Pettis be his first fight there.

Is this for the FW title or what?

Beside this being a sick matchup, its gonna screw everything up in both divisions.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• MilesGunnMilesGunn Posts: 3,633Registered Users
    Why is no one wondering how he can cut from that?? Are people now trying to pull a Kenflo just to fight Aldo?

• NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    Moments into the UFC 156 post-fight press conference, fans were teased with interesting news from Dana White. Anthony "Showtime" Pettis had expressed interest in a super-fight opportunity with Jose Aldo, UFC Featherweight Champion moments after his previous "super-fight" with former UFC Lightweight Champion, Frankie Edgar.

Now after being teased with the idea of a dream fight between two of the most technical strikers in the lighter divisions of the UFC who know exactly how to utilize their kicks, UFC has announced a confirmed bout between Aldo and Pettis for the August 3rd card.

This a dream fight, the level of striking prowess that will brought into the cage by these two warriors may very well be unmatched in the UFC to date.

One could argue a strong case for either fighter taking advantages in this fight. It's hard to pick a clear favorite though. Aldo is a dominant champion and very much at home at 145, but Pettis is one of the best of the 155 lbs division and in line for a title shot in his own weight class.

Aldo will have a distinct advantage in that he's use to the weight cut for 145 and knows exactly how it feels to be at that weight. He's also the top dog in his division and has no reason to lose confidence in himself after having already beat one, 155 lbs champion in Edgar. He'll be rolling on momentum for this fight.

Will the weight cut take anything out of Pettis? Are we going to see a slower more drained Pettis in the fight? Or will he be more comfortable at a smaller weight, being of a small build for lightweight?

Assuming he comes into the fight at 100% or as close as possible, Pettis brings a dynamic arsenal of strikes to the fight. We've seen him pull off moves that are almost action movie like. The off the cage roundhouse kick he landed on current UFC Lightweight Champion, Benson Henderson, comes to mind immediately. He's unpredictable and very crafty on his feet to say the least.

If both fighters show up at the top of their game, expect fireworks ladies and gentlemen.

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    This fight confuses me, but I am definitely excited to see it. LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• jamesreed90jamesreed90 Posts: 512Free
    Im excited for this fight but I hate the way it was brought about. I guess now lamas/KZ and Siver/Guida are two fights to put together
    Favorite fighters: Roger Huerta

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ben Henderson and Cowboy Cerrone

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

Bandwagon Game:Bruce Leeroy destroyer of my pick Sergio Pettis

Bandwagon Game pick 2:Jim Miller
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    Has Pettis mentioned why he all of a sudden had a interest in fighting Aldo immediately after Frankie lost to him?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• NewGuy2000NewGuy2000 Posts: 1,618Free
    This will be the easiest pick in mma history. KO in the first round by Aldo.
  • NewGuy2000NewGuy2000 Posts: 1,618Free
    TUF1 said:

This will be the easiest pick in mma history. KO in the first round by Aldo.

to quote the Tito "let me tell you how you're feeling right now"

If you start making mends with the truth now, it won't hurt as much later.

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,760Free
    I find it funny that all of these fighters for years have been jumping around weight classes and GSP sits in his scared little bubble too scared to go up or down rofl

"I need at least 2 years to properly prepare for a fight in another weight class" - GSP
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,887Free
    PoloRidah said:

Has Pettis mentioned why he all of a sudden had a interest in fighting Aldo immediately after Frankie lost to him?

Its because Aldo barely hurt little Frankie Edgar and he smelled blood in the water. I think his plan is to take aldos strap just for the lulz and then vacate to go fight bendo. I admire his initiative.
    This fight needs to be at LW. These two are both too big for FW. Aldo had to let off the gas against Frankie in the later rounds so much that he let Edgar back in the fight. Its clear his cardio is affected negatively by fighting at 145 (though not much else).

I cant see Pettis cutting to 145 without going full skeleton mode.

Theoretically Aldo should be even better at 155 and he plans on making the jump eventually anyways. Why force both fighters to cut weight when it's not necessary.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,178Free
    Itsssssssssssssssssss SHOWTIME!!!!!!! Pettis is going to wreck this dude. WAR ROUFUSPORT!!!
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,178Free
    TUF1 said:

Za1994 said:

Itsssssssssssssssssss SHOWTIME!!!!!!! Pettis is going to wreck this dude. WAR ROUFUSPORT!!!

Please like somebody else thank you
    No thanks brahs. I've been here since day one. #-o
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,760Free
    TUF1 said:

Za1994 said:

TUF1 said:

Za1994 said:

Please like somebody else thank you
    No thanks brahs. I've been here since day one. #-o
    drat. Well how do you feel about switching to sherdog?
    Lmfao!!!!
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    TUF everytime I scroll by your sig it looks like Aldo has some huge tumor coming out of his head.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• basementbasement Posts: 127Free
    Wow loads of hate for this, Im looking forward to this,

Two exciting strikers both staying active with offensive gaurds/ground-game - Whats not to like?
    Favourite fighters: BJ Penn / Frank Mir / Rousimar Palhares / Diaz Brothers / Dominick Cruz.