Wrestling in UFC.

Ok so I'm not familiar with all this NCAA division 1 2 ect and I'm just wanting to know like which UFC fighter has had the best wrestling credentials before starting MMA?
(x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
Tagged:

Comments

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,651Free
    Right now its Cormier. He finished in 4th place in his first Olympics. and his 2nd olympics he was named team captain but could not compete due to kidney failure.

Randy Couture was an alternative in the Olympics.

Hendo attended the olympics

Outside the olympics i believe the best wrestler was Lesnar with a 106-5 Division 1 record.
    Mark Coleman also placed 7th in the olympics.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,193Free
    Probably Bobby Green, he has a 234-6 Division 1 record
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Yeah I've heard that about hendo didn't realize dc was that good I heard he was an Olympian but I didn't realized he ranked..... I also remember rogan or goldy was talking about that Marcus levessuer(sp?) was undefeated....but he couldn't fight...
    (x.X)Q(^.^Q) p4p ....... Weidman is a can......and Pettis will get sodomized by Aldo

What's worst a Frankie Edgar signature tantrum or the amount of butthurt this sig makes for his fanboys?
    edited February 2013

Yeah I've heard that about hendo didn't realize dc was that good I heard he was an Olympian but I didn't realized he ranked..... I also remember rogan or goldy was talking about that Marcus levessuer(sp?) was undefeated....but he couldn't fight...

yea, he has the most reputable wrestling background in MMA history.....If Kurt Angle ever gotten into MMA (which he thought about) it would of been him.

Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,633Free
    Daniel Cormier is a former Olympian, so I'll give that to him. The same goes for Dan Henderson, as he competed in Greco Roman in the Olympics. NCAA is essentially collegiate wrestling, with the larger (and usually better) schools having lower numbers. Therefore, division I is much more competitive than division II, which is much more competitive than division III, etc. There have been a few NCAA division I champs in the UFC before like Brock Lesnar and Kevin Randleman, as well as current guys like Phil Davis, Josh Koscheck and Mark Munoz.

However, pure wrestling (most of it in the form of freestyle in the current collegiate point system) doesn't translate completely into MMA without some adaptation. There are guys in the UFC with incredible MMA-based wrestling that never had a background in the discipline, such as Georges St-Pierre. Some "high level wrestlers" adapt well to the MMA cage, others do not.
  • Yeah I've heard that about hendo didn't realize dc was that good I heard he was an Olympian but I didn't realized he ranked..... I also remember rogan or goldy was talking about that Marcus levessuer(sp?) was undefeated....but he couldn't fight...

yea, he has the most reputable wrestling background in MMA history.....If Kurt Angle ever gotten into MMA (which he thought about) it would of been him.

I remember when he first came to wwe I'm sure it was wwf still. I thought that was just some make up story about Kurt angle years later I looked it up and couldn't believe it was true.......musta been a money thang.... LoL

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,760Ultimate
    James Toney was a NCAA Div II champion
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • ijosef said:

Daniel Cormier is a former Olympian, so I'll give that to him. The same goes for Dan Henderson, as he competed in Greco Roman in the Olympics. NCAA is essentially collegiate wrestling, with the larger (and usually better) schools having lower numbers. Therefore, division I is much more competitive than division II, which is much more competitive than division III, etc. There have been a few NCAA division I champs in the UFC before like Brock Lesnar and Kevin Randleman, as well as current guys like Phil Davis, Josh Koscheck and Mark Munoz.

However, pure wrestling (most of it in the form of freestyle in the current collegiate point system) doesn't translate completely into MMA without some adaptation. There are guys in the UFC with incredible MMA-based wrestling that never had a background in the discipline, such as Georges St-Pierre. Some "high level wrestlers" adapt well to the MMA cage, others do not.

Thanks quite helpful, and yeah I knew that about Georges as he trains with the Canadian Olympic team or something along those lines

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free
    ijosef said:

I think Randleman and Hendricks both won 2 NCAA titles.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Wrestling in the UFC ..

If you havent noticed wrestling has become the hugest aspect of the UFC .. Especially since you look at all the hype surrounding sub par fighters.. so yeah ever since dana met with ed mcmahon ive seen UFC get dominated by wrestling

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free

Wrestling in the UFC ..

If you havent noticed wrestling has become the hugest aspect of the UFC .. Especially since you look at all the hype surrounding sub par fighters.. so yeah ever since dana met with ed mcmahon ive seen UFC get dominated by wrestling

Ed McMahon?
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,140Free
    edited February 2013

Yeah I've heard that about hendo didn't realize dc was that good I heard he was an Olympian but I didn't realized he ranked..... I also remember rogan or goldy was talking about that Marcus levessuer(sp?) was undefeated....but he couldn't fight...

Marcus was undefeated in his collegiate wrestling career in division III wrestling. Division I is where all the true monsters are at and division II and III are mostly schools that aren't big enough to make it to division I. But its still good competition; just not as good as division I most of the time. But there has been history of NCAA Division II champions beating NCAA Division I champions in wrestling.
    Post edited by Za1994 on
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • stand corrected ...vince mcmahon
  • Za1994 said:

Marcus was undefeated in his collegiate wrestling career in division III wrestling. Division I is where all the true monsters are at and division II and III are mostly schools that aren't big enough to make it to division I. But its still good competition; just not as good as division I most of the time. But there has been history of NCAA Division II champions beating NCAA Division I champions in wrestling.
    Ahhh he was probley as good as a division 2 champ just at a small school so he owned all the not so good fellas lol but nah that made plenty of sense dude thanks.

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    Some wrestling stats...

Daniel Cormier:
    101-9 High School Wrestling Record (3X state champion)
    2-time NJCAA Champion
    Trasferred to Michigan State, almost won NCAA Div 1 Championship, but lost to the legendary Cael Sanderson
    4th overall in the 2004 Olympics

Chael Sonnen:
    2-time runner up at the NJCAA (poor chael with his runner-ups lol)
    2-time Shultz International Champion
    2nd place at World University Championship
    NCAA Div. 1 All-American

Ben Askren:
    4-time Div. 1 All-American
    Two-time NCAA runner-up, and Two-time NCAA Champ
    2008 Olympic team, but didn't medal

Brock Lesnar:
    Last year in High School was 33-0
    one-time NCAA runner-up, and one time NCAA Champ

Dan Severn:
    Div. 1 All-American
    3-Time Olympic Alternate

Randy Couture:
    3-Time Div. 1 All-American
    2-Time NCAA runner-up
    3-Time Olympic Alternate

Dan Henderson:
    2-Time Olympian
    3-Time Pan American Medalist

I'd say that Brock, Askren, and DC are the most accomplished wrestlers overall

Also, Hendo, Kos, and Hendricks are definitely up there

• Brock is a can
    Randy was a can that fought a lot of cans
    Henderson likes TRT
    Sonnen likes TRT
    Cormier - So far so good except mysterious organ failure
    Severn was a CAN
    Askren - who ?? lol
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    On a side note, wrestling is probably the toughest and most grueling sport on earth. I always wondered why people in MMA despise it so much. Mixed martial arts is an extremely interesting and dynamic sport, and it's all about who is the most effective/stylistically superior/intelligent martial artist. If wrestling has extremely effective techniques, why not give those fighters credit for being able to dominate the most skilled martial artists on earth?
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,795Moderator, Ultimate
    Kosvheck and Phil Davis were also up there on credentials
    imageimage
  • JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free
    Sisti said:

On a side note, wrestling is probably the toughest and most grueling sport on earth. I always wondered why people in MMA despise it so much. Mixed martial arts is an extremely interesting and dynamic sport, and it's all about who is the most effective/stylistically superior/intelligent martial artist. If wrestling has extremely effective techniques, why not give those fighters credit for being able to dominate the most skilled martial artists on earth?

I don't think you see the point, people don't despise wrestling, they despise how some fighters choose to implement it in their game.

there's a difference between offensive wrestling and stalling..
    stalling should NOT be seen as dominating

Jimz said:

Sisti said:

I don't think you see the point, people don't despise wrestling, they despise how some fighters choose to implement it in their game.

ie using a takedown with 30 seconds left to "win the round"

thats a punk move
    imageimage
    edited February 2013

Jimz said:

Sisti said:

thats a punk move
    more like **** judges.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • georgelebrungeorgelebrun Posts: 1,665Free

For real? That is good! I Honestly had no idea he was a wrestler, as I haven't seen him fight yet. All I remember was when he fought a while back (KOTC i think) his fighting style was described as 'Hood' so i assumed he was a brawler
    The Diaz Brothers - The Sex - The Shogun Warrior - The H Bomb - The Reem - JDS - The Smooth One - The California Kid - The Korean Zombie - The Gangster from West Linn - The Count all FTW!!

Sig Bet record 3 - 0

For real? That is good! I Honestly had no idea he was a wrestler, as I haven't seen him fight yet. All I remember was when he fought a while back (KOTC i think) his fighting style was described as 'Hood' so i assumed he was a brawler
    lol, idk how long you've been around or know carnage....but you'll get used to him....No, Green does not have those type of credentials. as far as i know.

Jimz said:

Sisti said:

thats a punk move
    more like **** judges.
    judges shouldnt score it and fighters shouldnt be punks for doing it
    imageimage

Jimz said:

Sisti said:

thats a punk move
    more like **** judges.
    judges shouldnt score it and fighters shouldnt be punks for doing it
    Thats just silly.

Whats silly about that? What does the takedown in that last ten seconds really do? doesnt hurt your opponent, doesnt put you any closer to finishing them and there isnt enough time to work on the ground.

I would score the takedown unless something is actually done with it. Just like if someone scores the takedown but the opponent immediately gets up. Only thing you gkve it is aggression because if it was EFFECTIVE grappling you would have been able to keep the guy down OR scored that takedown earlier
    imageimage
    well GSP was out for

Whats silly about that? What does the takedown in that last ten seconds really do? doesnt hurt your opponent, doesnt put you any closer to finishing them and there isnt enough time to work on the ground.

I would score the takedown unless something is actually done with it. Just like if someone scores the takedown but the opponent immediately gets up. Only thing you gkve it is aggression because if it was EFFECTIVE grappling you would have been able to keep the guy down OR scored that takedown earlier

because if your successful its the easiest way to neutralize your opponents striking.
  • SolidStateLogicSolidStateLogic Posts: 4,181Free
    Aleksandr Karelin if he ever did MMA
    Overeem - Hari - Spong - Daley - Hardy - Manhoef - A. Silva - Rutten - Diaz Bros

well GSP was out for

because if your successful its the easiest way to neutralize your opponents striking.
    but 10 left in a round? why not earlier then and actually work on the ground?

It is the exact same as people who lay in the ground. The guard is a neutral position and if all the guy on top is just holding on to play the clock then i wouldnt give him the edge on the ground he never did anything from there
    imageimage