Barao: I'm the same weight as Aldo, might move up

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao (29-1) says he doesn't enjoy cutting to 135lbs. The natural featherweight dropped down a division to avoid his Nova Uniao stablemate Jose Aldo (22-1), who holds the 145lbs strap. Barao told MMA Junkie he walked around at the same weight as Aldo and hoped to return to featherweight sooner rather than later.

"I feel very good in this weight division, but I feel in two or three years, if Aldo decides to move up a weight division, I might do that, too ... I used to fight at 66 kilos (145 pounds), but when we closed the deal with the WEC, our trainer decided that I needed to fight at bantamweight because I would never be champion since Aldo had been there forever. He wanted another champion on the team ... Actually, I'm naturally the same weight as Aldo, but I cut more to make weight. I think I would suffer a lot less. I sacrifice a lot by cutting. I'd be able to eat a little better and relax a little more. I think the weight cut is what makes me most nervous going into a fight. I get very neurotic. I would be much more relaxed."

From www.mmaliveshere.com
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    Id like to see Barao and Aldo fight. That's a shame.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,588Free
    If he walks around the same weight as Aldo he must be one of the largest weight cutters in the UFC?
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free

If he walks around the same weight as Aldo he must be one of the largest weight cutters in the UFC?

That's what I was thinking. All this talk about how Jose has issues cutting to 145, well if Barao is the same weight cutting to 135 then we have another Anthony Rumble Johnson on our hands. Only difference is Barao actually makes weight lol. Rumble has gone from welterweight all the way up to heavy weight now that he has a fight scheduled with Arlovski. Will we see Barao fighting at welterwight someday? lol

Barao vs GSP, who wins? haha
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,057Premium

Definitely must be up there when looking at it in % of total bodyweight but there are some big cutters in the ufc when just looking at numbers on their own.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    that weight cutting can
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    What a weight cutter.
    Believe in Beard
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,295Free

that weight cutting can

i believe at least 21000 posts of yours are saying someone is either a can or the GOAT
    whats your point?

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free

that weight cutting can

i believe at least 21000 posts of yours are saying someone is either a can or the GOAT

that weight cutting can

That's forum culture, bro. If someone is fighting your favorite fighter, you hate a guy, or you're trying to prove a point against a fighter, you have to find a way to put can in his name.

If it's the other way around, you have to find a way to put GOAT in their name.
    Believe in Beard
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,719Free

that weight cutting can

whats your point?
    no point, just pointing it out. although i think it's annoying.
    Whatever spartacan_
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,719Free

WarWest said:

that weight cutting can

whats your point?
    Whatever spartacan_
    LoL

I'm just kidding man
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free
    edited February 2013
    Fighters need to quit letting friendships or gym memberships stop them from fighting eachother. Put that aside and do whats best for your own fight career (although maybe avoiding Aldo was best). Caught some heat when I said that about DC and Cain but still I think its a mistake to avoid a division when its going to negatively effect your body just because a buddy fights in said division. Pisses me off that Machida and AS are like that too.
    Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,295Free

that weight cutting can

whats your point?
    we alpha's

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free
    Crazy how Barao will probably become the UFC bantamweight champion while Aldo will remain the featherweight champion. Then when Aldo moves to lightweight to get that championship belt, Barao will move into the featherweight division and dominate that division.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free
    MMA_FTW said:

Crazy how Barao will probably become the UFC bantamweight champion while Aldo will remain the featherweight champion. Then when Aldo moves to lightweight to get that championship belt, Barao will move into the featherweight division and dominate that division.

I dont know man. There's some pretty tough competition at FW these days.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free

that weight cutting can

In MMA, you are either a can or a GOAT, there is no inbetween
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner