Which MMA ranking system is the best

SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
Post edited by SilentDogood on
Tagged:

Comments

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,488Free
    Can't really comment on the ufc ranking yet cuz its brand new and maybe very baised

Those other two are trash though...mostly fight mag...they set up rules to defend thier rankings but break them often (mostly the non active rule) when it best helps them

I find BloodyElbows/SB Nation to be the best and non baised ranking...and have felt that way for a long time
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>

i never noticed fightmagazine's ranking, but i think it's very accurate. despite of edgar being FW #1 contender

fight magazine / sherdog > ufc, that's for sure

There's last time I check was pure computer work...and it placed way to much on level of fighters faced...while it is very important...they just held it above all else by a hugh gap

At one point they had Sonnen ranked higher the Silva based of who sonnen beat even though Sonnen just lost to silva the first time lol

And even though they have the rule of if a fighter does not four for 12 months they will be stripped of thier ranking (but if he wins his comeback fight he comes back to the same place)....they refused to take GSP from his top spot...now i think 12 months is too short it is thier own rule and they enforced this same rule on other fighter (I believe randy was one of them)
    Sig record
    40-21

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,653Free
    edited February 2013
    i truly think a media consensus is the best way to go about it.....which is what the UFC rankings are.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Each individuals rankings is all that matters.Why do i care what anyone else thinks of any fighter?Do you recognize people that think for themselves or people that play follow the leader?

I can see with my own eyes what every fighters weaknesses are,what their strengths are and i can see what styles give certain fighters problems.

More important is that rankings do absolutely squat for a fighter.What you did in your last 50 fights means nothing towards your next fight.A fighters mentality going into a fight,the style or preparation he put into his next fight can sway the decisions dramatically.
    A perfect example Vlad Matyushenko,i never in a million years would have guessed that he would try to play stand up fighting versus Gusty,either he had a brain fart or is just plain dumb.So he might have all the tools and skills to beat Gusty,but his brain or lack of made him lose badly.This happens a lot,on every single card,yo uget fighters that just make you shake your head,this is why rankings are meaningless and pointless.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    zaksame said:

Each individuals rankings is all that matters.Why do i care what anyone else thinks of any fighter?Do you recognize people that think for themselves or people that play follow the leader?

I can see with my own eyes what every fighters weaknesses are,what their strengths are and i can see what styles give certain fighters problems.

More important is that rankings do absolutely squat for a fighter.What you did in your last 50 fights means nothing towards your next fight.A fighters mentality going into a fight,the style or preparation he put into his next fight can sway the decisions dramatically.
    A perfect example Vlad Matyushenko,i never in a million years would have guessed that he would try to play stand up fighting versus Gusty,either he had a brain fart or is just plain dumb.So he might have all the tools and skills to beat Gusty,but his brain or lack of made him lose badly.This happens a lot,on every single card,yo uget fighters that just make you shake your head,this is why rankings are meaningless and pointless.

rankings are very important, they determine a guy's next fight, who gets the next title shot, lower ranked guys are much more likely to get cut and make less money. where you rank is very important
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,022Free

i truly think a media consensus is the best way to go about it.....which is what the UFC rankings are.

Media consensus is just people chosing on the basis of "because I think so", which makes it nothing more than a popularity vote.

• NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,415Free
    Fight Magazine's rankings is ridonculous. GSP over A.S. for P4P, don't think so.
    And Antonio Silva #2 HW, lollercoaster.

Sherdog doesn't even have Rory MacDonald as a top 10 WW. Fail.

I think the UFC Ranks are the best ones from the list.

2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
    najma said:

Media consensus is just people chosing on the basis of "because I think so", which makes it nothing more than a popularity vote.

Well its damn better then computer made ones....fight mag is trash with thier rankings

A few years back they had faber is not a top 10 FW when he lost his title and lost tje rematch then Aldo won it...but he was a top 10 p4p that same month lol

The media ones are always the best and normally easier to understand why the voted the way they did cuz the media guys will talk about it....but fight mag always says the same thing "the computer ran the data and this is the results"

Sig record
    40-21

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,042Premium
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    IT'S HARD RANKING FIGHTERS , AND IT'S HARD NOT TO BE BIASED ,BUT THERE IS NO WAY RORY MACDONALD IS NOT A TOP 10 WW (SHERDOG),AND KOS AND FITCH ARE WAAAAAAY HIGHER THAN 15TH AND 17 IN THE WW DIVISION(FIGHT), AND FOR SOME REASON DAN HENDERSON IS ALWAYS IN THE TOP 10 P4P RANKINGS IN ALL 4 SYSTEMS WHEN I SERIOUSLY THINK 5 OR 6 GUYS AT LHW COULD BEAT THE GUY........HAVING SAID THAT EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT IDEA OF WHAT ASPECTS WE SHOULD BE BASING OUR FINDINGS ON.PAST FIGHTS , RECORD , POTENTIAL,LEVEL OF OPPOSITION.IT'S EASIER ON A DIVISIONAL RANKING THAN P4P
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    edited February 2013
    the only good MMA ranking thats half decent is...fight matrix
    Post edited by JohnnyZadar on
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free

the only good MMA ranking thats half decent is...fight matrix

just checked it out fight matrix is pretty nice, like how they show the cards too and the fighters rank, like ufc 159 http://www.fightmatrix.com/upcoming-events/UFC-159---Jones-vs.-Sonnen/25825/
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
    its basically the number 1 ranked light heavy weight vs the number 2 ranked middle weight for the title at ufc 159