Chael on Jones/Silva

TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/192523.html

Apologies if its popped up anywhere.

Seems like a pretty honest statement from Sonnen-one a lot of fans would agree with too I think.
Grover- Future LHW champ!
Tagged:

Comments

• RoezCityRoezCity Posts: 235Free
    Chael will eat knees

some_text

some_text
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free

of course he's saying Jones is better than Silva.

he don't want to lose for a worse fighter than the one who beat him twice already

nah I think its an honest admission by him. I dont think he is trying to take anything away from Silva
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    would be a great fight no matter who won. TBH its hard to tell
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    For once Chael was being serious and i agree with him.I don't want to get into posting everything about Silva again,so i'll just say he has not earned those accolades via the fighters he has faced.
    Sure he caught Vitor with a nice one,but lucky he did,there was no actual fight because of it.Chael probably could have owned most of the second fight as well but made a sloppy mistake.Other than that,nobody has put forth much of an effort,Silva has fought a lot of cans or over rated fighters.

Jones on the other hand fights,he can take fights deep and control,dominate every step of the way.Jones does not need lucky KO's,to avoid a long grueling fight,he is skilled enough to go anywhere.

IMO it is VERY easy to draw up a game plan versus Silva but Jones is really tough to figure out,you will need every facet of the game plus size to boot.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    zaksame said:

For once Chael was being serious and i agree with him.I don't want to get into posting everything about Silva again,so i'll just say he has not earned those accolades via the fighters he has faced.
    Sure he caught Vitor with a nice one,but lucky he did,there was no actual fight because of it.Chael probably could have owned most of the second fight as well but made a sloppy mistake.Other than that,nobody has put forth much of an effort,Silva has fought a lot of cans or over rated fighters.

Jones on the other hand fights,he can take fights deep and control,dominate every step of the way.Jones does not need lucky KO's,to avoid a long grueling fight,he is skilled enough to go anywhere.

IMO it is VERY easy to draw up a game plan versus Silva but Jones is really tough to figure out,you will need every facet of the game plus size to boot.

I agree-neither will I go into it in too much detail- I don't want the abusive rants to begin for having a decent opinion based on facts.

He's totally right and he also just admitted defeat.

Glad you saw that too.
    I just hope Chael can get a couple of takedowns. I'd be happy with that.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    edited February 2013
    jones almost lost to vitor, silva almost lost to sonnen but i think it impossible for sonnen to know who is tougher until he has fought both. Imo silva has the more impressive highlight reel but jones has faced tougher competition
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

PunchBag said:

jones almost lost to vitor, silva almost lost to sonnen but i think it impossible for sonnen to know who is tougher until he has fought both. Imo silva has the more impressive highlight reel but jones has faced tougher competition

Highlight reels are just that Highlights.
    Look at the fight on TUF with Hall and Cella- Cella was looking pretty good until the heel of death landed.
    The "fight highlight" or whatever they called it made him look like he was getting hammered badly for the whole round.

Silva highlights have been pumped to the mainstream- look at the griffin fight- "You" see Silva slip/dodge some slow sloppy arm punches from an opponent with his head thrust up high, not tucking himself into the shoulder.

Someone with no boxing/mma knowledge sees a brazilian Jedi rockin the force and knocking the fluff out of griffin.

edited February 2013
    just saying silva has pretty much destroyed everyone, he made short work of vitor and sonnen in their second bout, jones finished vitor later on and not a 100% fit vitor at that and if jones vs sonnen goes to a decision could you really say joens is better.

I guess until they fight who knows but silva is the GOAT until jones has defended his tilte more times than silva or beats silva.

you also have to factor in how each fighters skills match up, of course wrestling is silvas weakest area and sonnens strong area, agaisnt jones however he isnt certain of being effective with his wrestling so obviously jones should be the harder fight for sonnen but other fighters epsecially standup ones would find silva a tougher challenge.

The simple fact silva has been so dominant in the sport without a wrestling background adds to his GOAT.

in a standup fight silva would ko jones, its all down to how good his wrestling really is so lets see how it stacks against sonnen and we might have a clear indication of who would win
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

PunchBag said:

just saying silva has pretty much destroyed everyone, he made short work of vitor and sonnen in their second bout, jones finished vitor later on and not a 100% fit vitor at that and if jones vs sonnen goes to a decision could you really say joens is better.

I guess until they fight who knows but silva is the GOAT until jones has defended his tilte more times than silva or beats silva.

True-I think Silva has a way of "unnerving" his opponents to the point where they seem scared, look at his stance for example-it's tempting to the point of frustration "here, try to take my leg and see what happens" sort of thing.

With Jones I wonder what will happen once he receives a loss? I think He is terrified of that first loss ( don't count Hamill) Vitor frightened the poop out of him with that armbar

he also looked uncomfortable vs machida in the first round
    "Believe in the beard"

• JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free
    zaksame said:

Silva layed belfort out in a couple of minutes.. in that same time period belfort was close to ripping jones arm off and taking it home with him.

I agree with that it's tougher to come up with a decent gameplan against jones but stop trying to discredit silva's wins.
    You can't call it luck when he does it all the time, it's called skill.
  • roundhou5eroundhou5e Posts: 12Free
    Durr, get's beat of Silva twice, then says Jones is better? Is he admitting defeat?
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,626Free
    Jimz said:

zaksame said:

Silva layed belfort out in a couple of minutes.. in that same time period belfort was close to ripping jones arm off and taking it home with him.

I agree with that it's tougher to come up with a decent gameplan against jones but stop trying to discredit silva's wins.
    Close doesn't win you anything
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,285Free

then how did frankie edgar got 3 consecutive title shots?
    those were different. supposedly contentious decisions, not being finished like Chael was

then how did frankie edgar got 3 consecutive title shots?
    He got 2 and he won 1 of them.
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    arguing who would win between jon jones and anderson silva to me is absolutely ridiculous, LHW is the weakest division ever, i mean who did Jon Jones beat? a movie star, a karate guy, a teenage party youtube fighter(shogun) and rashad evans who palms ur hand 500 times in a fight, this is his toughest fight ever and mark my words, this gangster from west linn oregon will expose this dude so bad he will go down harder than Alistair.
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free

Jimz said:

zaksame said:

So why do people hold on to the fact that Chael was "close" to beating Silva in their first fight?
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
    FroZeN said:

Jimz said:

zaksame said:

So why do people hold on to the fact that Chael was "close" to beating Silva in their first fight?
    Because he beat up Anderson.
  • JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free

Jimz said:

zaksame said:

thank you captain obvious.
    that wasn't the point
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    zaksame said:

That is a very good point.
    Jimz said:

Jimz said:

zaksame said:

thank you captain obvious.
    that wasn't the point
    What was the point than? both guys owned Vitor.