Rockhold plans to grapple with Belfort

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1) sees wrestling as Vitor Belfort's (22-10) weak link. Rockhold is all but booked to fight Belfort in his UFC debut. The 28-year-old California native told Sherdog he was ready to take the fight everywhere to get past "The Phenom." A keen surfer, Rockhold dived into wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu as a teenager. Half his victories have come by way of submission and if he submits Belfort, it will go a long way towards securing a UFC title shot.

"I like the match-up. I think I match up well with him. I can fight him everywhere - I'm going to have to fight him everywhere. But I'm a kicker and I can wrestle, I can do jiu-jitsu, so I feel like I can take it anywhere I want. Stay on the outside of course then maybe close the distance and wrestle him. He's had problems with wrestlers in the past ... I don't get fazed by big fights. I'll be in there to fight whoever and I'm going to be the same guy everytime. So I'll be ready, I'll have my composure and the fans can decide if I'm deserving or not, but I'll prove I'm worthy."

From www.mmaliveshere.com
Tagged:

Comments

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    edited February 2013
    rockhold is a strong wrestler and submission guy, but i think he can win on the feet and should worry about belforts sub game lay n pray an option so is trying to tire out belfort via grappling.

However rockhold isnt the kind of fighter to get caught with a sloppy headkick and he has a solid chin possibly better than belforts.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free
    edited February 2013
    Rockhold seems like a solid humble guy. I like how he said " the fans can decide if I'm deserving or not."

With so many fighters in it for the money, its refreshing to hear a statement like that.

War Rockhold!
    Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Title should read "Rockhold plans to lay and pray"
    edited February 2013
    he needs the win but i dont think lay n praying belfort would be easy at all unless you're chael sonnen who is real good at it.

I think rockhold could win a standup fight with belfort, would certainly be risky but possible. Belfort can be kod and he can also tire. Im sure rockhold could get kod by belfort but hes a busy striker with a diverse arsenal who can take fighters down so a decision win in a msotly standup fight is a solid outcome for rockhold, either belfort finishes rockhold or it will be a decision win for rockhold imo
    "Believe in the beard"

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,364Free
    I got Belfort taking his head off if they stay standing.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    Is this fight official? Im surprised Vitor took this fight if so. Sounded like he wanted to move up to LHW.

I guess Vitor is okay with ruining people's title shots at middle weight. LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• TheUnicornTheUnicorn Posts: 493Free
    PunchBag said:

rockhold is a strong wrestler and submission guy, but i think he can win on the feet and should worry about belforts sub game lay n pray an option so is trying to tire out belfort via grappling.

However rockhold isnt the kind of fighter to get caught with a sloppy headkick and he has a solid chin possibly better than belforts.

if you are referring to Belforts head kick on Bisping, that kick was NOT sloppy at all, well timed well placed head kick Bispings defense was sloppy is anything

also Belfort will beat this guy where ever
    HW- Pat Barry

LHW- Maldonado, Diabate

MW- Chris Leben, Vitor

WW- Nick Diaz

LW- Nate Diaz, Varner

FW- Bart P

BW- Eddie Wineland

Flyweight- Louis Gaudinot

Sigbet record 2-1
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free

Rockhold seems like a solid humble guy. I like how he said " the fans can decide if I'm deserving or not."

With so many fighters in it for the money, its refreshing to hear a statement like that.

War Rockhold!

What Rockhold said is the difference between cockiness and confidence.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,719Free
    That would probably be a good idea
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • jamamawjamamaw Posts: 2,379Free
    I like Luke. If he feels like that's the way to beat vitor than go for it. Shouldn't be to bad of a lay and pray job, hopefully Luke will throw some ground and pound. Hope this fight gets signed.
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

Sig bet Record: 1-0
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    jduk said:

Title should read "Rockhold plans to lay and pray"

:))
    rockhold is better than bisping in every area
    "Believe in the beard"

• AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    its simple if he stands with Belfort he's gonna get laid out in less then 2 rounds, when a fighter says I can take it anywhere it usaully means that he will either wall n stall like Couture or lay n pray like GSP.

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

edited February 2013
    belfort has good power but i dont see him koing rockhold, im a fan of both fighters but im going with rockhold on this one and i would like to see rockhold get the win to prove he is relevant where as belfort has proved that plenty of times
    "Believe in the beard"

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    PunchBag said:

belfort has good power but i dont see him koing rockhold, im a fan of both fighters but im going with rockhold on this one and i would like to see rockhold get the win to prove he is relevant where as belfort has proved that plenty of times

Belfort might be the best fighter in the UFC without a belt. Rockhold's getting a pretty big test as his debut.

Nobody answered in my earlier post, this fight is offical right? What card is it going to be on?

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
    Rockhold will get exposed in the UFC imo, Belfort wins this!

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night, all day!

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• TheUnicornTheUnicorn Posts: 493Free

Rockhold will get exposed in the UFC imo, Belfort wins this!

+1
    HW- Pat Barry

LHW- Maldonado, Diabate

MW- Chris Leben, Vitor

WW- Nick Diaz

LW- Nate Diaz, Varner

FW- Bart P

BW- Eddie Wineland

Flyweight- Louis Gaudinot

Sigbet record 2-1
  • TheOvereemTheOvereem Posts: 8,997Free
    PoloRidah said:

PunchBag said:

Belfort might be the best fighter in the UFC without a belt. Rockhold's getting a pretty big test as his debut.

Nobody answered in my earlier post, this fight is offical right? What card is it going to be on?

Not official yet, was hoping it'd be on the FOX 7 card to keep the theme of UFC vs SF on the main card, that looks unlikely now.
    I'd imagine it'd be co-main of UFC 160 end of May, possibly with Silva/Weidman headlining!

Overeem - Shogun - Mousasi - Manuwa - Bisping - Manhoef - Watson - Daley - Hardy - B.Henderson - McGregor - Pickett

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night, all day!

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• DerkJitsuDerkJitsu Posts: 150Free
    Belfort will win this. Belfort has trained with some solid wrestlers so I really don't think he would be worried about that. He is also a serious BJJ black belt and we all know Belfort's striking ability. Rockhold poses no threat to Belfort.
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,960Free
    Rockhold will beat Vitor everywhere.

You heard it here first.
  • Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 955Free
    Everyone who has fought Vitor lately had the "perfect gameplan" to beat him. Belfort's hands and shins(not to mention TRT and repeated strikes to the back of the head) have a way of changing things.

Vitor beats anyone except Silva at MW.

Rockhold will beat Vitor everywhere.

You heard it here first.

agreed, he wont ko belfort and he mgiht get rocked 1 or 2 times but he will win with a much higher output of strikes and takedowns

"Believe in the beard"