Swanson: MMA matchmaking becoming like boxing

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Featherweight contender Cub Swanson (18-5) says he fears MMA matchmaking is going the way of boxing. Swanson, who's on a three-fight win streak, is scheduled to fight Dustin Poirier (13-2) at UFC on Fuel 7 in London on February 16. His ultimate goal is a rematch with champion Jose Aldo (22-1), who he thinks deserved the win against former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (15-4). Anthony Pettis (16-2) is now dropping down a division to face Aldo in August and while the 29-year-old is excited to watch the fight, he told MMA Fighting it's a worrying trend.

"It's an exciting match-up and as a fan I'm excited for it, but as someone who's in the division, you know, it's a little bit like, 'oh, ok, this guy can just come over and get a title shot.' It's a little bit annoying but my time will come, I'm not too stressed about it and if everybody keeps dropping to 145lbs, who knows, maybe I'll move up to 155lbs. I could, I've been walking around like 180lbs, 185lbs, I could if I wanted t0 ... It seems like we're going along that road now that everybody criticised boxing for. For putting the biggest names together and not necessarily the people who earned the shot. We seem to be going down that road."

From www.mmaliveshere.com
Tagged:

Comments

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free

Featherweight contender Cub Swanson (18-5) says he fears MMA matchmaking is going the way of boxing. Swanson, who's on a three-fight win streak, is scheduled to fight Dustin Poirier (13-2) at UFC on Fuel 7 in London on February 16. His ultimate goal is a rematch with champion Jose Aldo (22-1), who he thinks deserved the win against former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (15-4). Anthony Pettis (16-2) is now dropping down a division to face Aldo in August and while the 29-year-old is excited to watch the fight, he told MMA Fighting it's a worrying trend.

"It's an exciting match-up and as a fan I'm excited for it, but as someone who's in the division, you know, it's a little bit like, 'oh, ok, this guy can just come over and get a title shot.' It's a little bit annoying but my time will come, I'm not too stressed about it and if everybody keeps dropping to 145lbs, who knows, maybe I'll move up to 155lbs. I could, I've been walking around like 180lbs, 185lbs, I could if I wanted t0 ... It seems like we're going along that road now that everybody criticised boxing for. For putting the biggest names together and not necessarily the people who earned the shot. We seem to be going down that road."

From www.mmaliveshere.com

It's always been that way.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    swanson hasnt done enough to earn it anyway,
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    Cub knows what's up.
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,651Free
    i do find it funny people act like any of this is new....This has been happening in MMA since day 1.
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Marketability > Fighting skill

Luckily marketability comes with fighting skill usually. Unless your style is very boring.

FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free

i do find it funny people act like any of this is new....This has been happening in MMA since day 1.

That's very true, however the Sonnen title shot vs Jones takes it to a new level.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,334Free
    Cub just needs to focus on winning his fight with Dustin right now if he keeps winning they can't deny him a shot.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image