Where are the olympic gold medalists in the UFC?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
Does anyone else find it odd that we keep hearing about all these elite star fighters who were olympic alternates?

There are so many olympic medalists for wrestling yet we've not seen one Olympic gold medalist in the UFC...Could this be because a lot of these guys are in countries where MMA isn't that popular?

I would definitely like to see an olympic gold medalist in the UFC
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    There is a gold medalist making his debut at 135, Henry Cejudo. He's a little guy though. Doesn't specify if hes making his debut in the UFC though.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/olympic-gold-medalist-henry-cejudo-to-fight-at-135-for-spring-mma-debut

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    PoloRidah said:

There is a gold medalist making his debut at 135, Henry Cejudo. He's a little guy though. Doesn't specify if hes making his debut in the UFC though.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/olympic-gold-medalist-henry-cejudo-to-fight-at-135-for-spring-mma-debut

Wow...an olympic gold medalist and won a boxing tournament? The guy could be insane
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    edited February 2013
    Sisti said:

PoloRidah said:

Wow...an olympic gold medalist and won a boxing tournament? The guy could be insane
    Gold medal wrestling caliber and has the skills to bang it out on his feet. I think he definitely has potential to do great things in MMA. Espeically considering how shallow his weight division is.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

PoloRidah said:

Gold medal wrestling caliber and has the skills to bang it out on his feet. I think he definitely has potential to do great things in MMA. Espeically considering how shallow his weight division is.
    It would make the division interesting, at the very least. Not many people can claim they beat an olympic gold medalist
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,243Free
    Not everyone is ok with someone punching them in the face. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Or they know they would get exposed in some area that they haven't had a lot of time to train in. Or maybe they are just content staying in their field.
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier

Not everyone is ok with someone punching them in the face. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Or they know they would get exposed in some area that they haven't had a lot of time to train in. Or maybe they are just content staying in their field.

it could even be that you have to train such an insane amount of time to be the best wrestler in the world that you have developed absolutely no skills in other areas. an olympic gold medal would be an insane advantage, but you can't develop UFC-level boxing overnight
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,243Free
    Yeah. I remember Joe Rogan saying how he pretty much trained Tae Kwon Do in a bubble where you don't have to really worry about anything about kicking. You develop the best kicks in the world but don't develop a lot of other things. It's crazy how Rogan is a commentator in the UFC but probably has the best kicks out of all of the UFC fighters.
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,295Free

holy ****, does anyone watch 121 pound wrestling? :-?

i hope they don't take control of ufc, wrestling is very boring yet effective.

fail....

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free

Yeah. I remember Joe Rogan saying how he pretty much trained Tae Kwon Do in a bubble where you don't have to really worry about anything about kicking. You develop the best kicks in the world but don't develop a lot of other things. It's crazy how Rogan is a commentator in the UFC but probably has the best kicks out of all of the UFC fighters.

Edson Barboza might disagree.

I would love to see the American Female who won the Gold in Judo start practicing MMA. Can't remember her name but she was a force. 1St American to win Gold in Judo if I'm not mistaken.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free

Bendo and Pettis are up there in the Tae Kwon Do ranks, which is why you hear Rogan getting hard-ons whenever they utilize those kicking techniques that you seldom see in the Octagon.

As for gold medalists, Kurt Angle was supposed to make a move into MMA a while back. I don't know how serious he was, since he still wanted to do pro wrestling on the side, but Dana booked him to appear on the TUF season with the HW's when Page and Evans were the coaches. Well, it turns out he didn't pass his medicals and that's all Dana was willing to say about that issue. I took that, pretty much, to mean that Kurt was either on roids or something about his physical body was just torched from all the years of punishment.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free

fail....
    please enlighten me

i failed because you watch 121lbs, because it's not boring or because it's not effective? thank you
    This is a GSP fan. He likes to pretend cuddling is fun to watch
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free
    bluesy said:

Bendo and Pettis are up there in the Tae Kwon Do ranks, which is why you hear Rogan getting hard-ons whenever they utilize those kicking techniques that you seldom see in the Octagon.

As for gold medalists, Kurt Angle was supposed to make a move into MMA a while back. I don't know how serious he was, since he still wanted to do pro wrestling on the side, but Dana booked him to appear on the TUF season with the HW's when Page and Evans were the coaches. Well, it turns out he didn't pass his medicals and that's all Dana was willing to say about that issue. I took that, pretty much, to mean that Kurt was either on roids or something about his physical body was just torched from all the years of punishment.
    It could also have been the damage done to his surgically repaired neck causing him to fail the medical exam.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
    Mangasm said:

fail....
    please enlighten me

i failed because you watch 121lbs, because it's not boring or because it's not effective? thank you
    This is a GSP fan. He likes to pretend cuddling is fun to watch
    I'd watch Gina and Miesha cuddle.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    I think the McMahon family is scooping them up and feeding them roids.Much more lucrative and easier to stand in the middle of a ring with a microphone than taking punches to the head.Also the average intelligent person has to support a family and knows the average base entry level salary into the UFC couldn't buy 10 chicken McNuggets form McD's.

You can already see the new "GIMMICK" trend the UFC will follow to market their brand >>>>>.Women,sexism.What makes them more money Olympic wrestlers or hot looking women?Dana already gave yo uthe answer,he said Rhonda is more popular in the media than any fighter they have.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    If you work your whole life to become the very best wrestler in the world, why give that up?
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

If you work your whole life to become the very best wrestler in the world, why give that up?

a new challenge...a chance to say i'm so extremely talented that I could be world champ in an anything goes fight

no matter what anyone says, there's no tougher challenge than being a UFC champ. boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc. all limit what you can do...being an MMA champ is the only way to say you could beat anyone in a true competition where all tools are available
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    Sisti said:

a new challenge...a chance to say i'm so extremely talented that I could be world champ in an anything goes fight

no matter what anyone says, there's no tougher challenge than being a UFC champ. boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc. all limit what you can do...being an MMA champ is the only way to say you could beat anyone in a true competition where all tools are available
    Do you think Usain Bolt should try the decathalon? I don't.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free

Sisti said:

Not only do I think Usain Bolt shouldn't try the decathalon, he wouldn't win either way.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"

Sisti said:

If he wanted an awesome challenge, yes

Jordan tried baseball...some athletes want to push themselves to try different endeavors
    Let's remember how the UFC started...it was putting all the big martial arts against each other to see which one truly is the best. We know by now that wrestling is an extremely effective martial art so it always makes sense to see the best wrestlers compete
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    "WHERE ARE THE OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS IN THE UFC?" they will probably be at London, United Kingdom Wembley Arena in the front sits flooded with jealousy that they cannot attempt to compete.
    Sisti said:

Let's remember how the UFC started...it was putting all the big martial arts against each other to see which one truly is the best. We know by now that wrestling is an extremely effective martial art so it always makes sense to see the best wrestlers compete

Is wrestling considered a martial art? Its so damn effective that it probably should be.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"