BJ Penn at 155?

FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
BJ Penn posted a facebook status earlier today that seemed as if he was answering someones question about him at 155 again. How do you guys think he'd fare?

I think he should only fight again if he is at 155 strictly. I believe he could make a run for it but he has to be in shape and has to have good cardio. I really hope he proves the doubters wrong. He is naturally gifted and if he actually trains, it'd be 'mazin.

What are your alls thoughts? Will BJ enslave the LW division again? I see Bendo giving him problems, but that's only cause of his pace.
OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
Tagged:

Comments

  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,811Moderator, Ultimate
    BJ is in the same state Hughes was in. The level of fighters have caught up, and some of passed, the level bj is at. And BJ instead of pushing his limits further at 155 made an unnecessary step to foght at 170
    imageimage
    image
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    the problem with BJ training properly is he would have to leave Hawaii to do so.... Like how Tristar offered to train with him, but that is in Canada. I dont see BJ Penn leaving Hawaii for 3-4 months to train for a fight.

    He has 2 baby girls now.
    He dosnt need the money. He's the most wealthy UFC fighter ever, so far.

    As much as us fans want to see him dominating again, its just so unlikely at this point of his life/career. Unless he changed camp, today's top LWs would probably beat him. And I dont see BJ leaving home to change camp.
    FEB. 2010
    image
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free

    the problem with BJ training properly is he would have to leave Hawaii to do so.... Like how Tristar offered to train with him, but that is in Canada. I dont see BJ Penn leaving Hawaii for 3-4 months to train for a fight.

    He has 2 baby girls now.
    He dosnt need the money. He's the most wealthy UFC fighter ever, so far.

    As much as us fans want to see him dominating again, its just so unlikely at this point of his life/career. Unless he changed camp, today's top LWs would probably beat him. And I dont see BJ leaving home to change camp.

    Agreed. I'd love to see Penn make a run at the belt but I believe the top LW's would beat him by having better cardio overall. It seems like Penn is almost always ahead in the first round and then he just snowballs from there.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,073Free
    bj could make featherweight if he wanted too. Dont see him fighting again but he changes his mind often so who knows. With LW as stacked as ever there are still some sick scraps out there .
    image
  • Nova__Nova__ Posts: 19Free
    I can see why he would have motivation issues considering the rise in talent since his hey day.
    photo expandingwtf_zps41cc58a3.gifphoto expandingwtf_zps41cc58a3.gifphoto expandingwtf_zps41cc58a3.gif
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    Personally I want him to retire

    Only if he trained his *** off and gave it 150% would I be even interested to see him at 155

    He could go to 155 now and beat plenty of guys like Njokuani, Castillo, Sanchez, Pettis, and many others

    But to be competitive with the top of the heap he would need to take it to the next level

    I just don't see him doing it, lazy Penn will be lazy
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    PATSTER said:

    bj could make featherweight if he wanted too. Dont see him fighting again but he changes his mind often so who knows. With LW as stacked as ever there are still some sick scraps out there .

    If he came back again, he'd go back to Welterweight.
    would be a terrible idea.

    was terrible to move to WW in the first place.
    FEB. 2010
    image
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,385Free
    WarWest said:

    Personally I want him to retire

    Only if he trained his *** off and gave it 150% would I be even interested to see him at 155

    He could go to 155 now and beat plenty of guys like Njokuani, Castillo, Sanchez, Pettis, and many others

    But to be competitive with the top of the heap he would need to take it to the next level

    I just don't see him doing it, lazy Penn will be lazy

    In before Pettis fanboys flame you.
    image
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4
    image


  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    PoloRidah said:

    WarWest said:

    Personally I want him to retire

    Only if he trained his *** off and gave it 150% would I be even interested to see him at 155

    He could go to 155 now and beat plenty of guys like Njokuani, Castillo, Sanchez, Pettis, and many others

    But to be competitive with the top of the heap he would need to take it to the next level

    I just don't see him doing it, lazy Penn will be lazy

    In before Pettis fanboys flame you.
    Meh

    They can't handle the truth
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    edited February 2013
    match him up with yves edwards in his return to LW

    but penn is smart, he should retire and become a commentator guy knows everything about mma, is a future hall of famer and owes nothing to nobody.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


  • creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    He shouldn't have left it in the first place, so what if Frankie was champ, a lot of great, more intriguing match-ups were at lw anyway. It's not like he went to ww to go for a title run there... I'm still bummed about it...
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,089Premium
    Penn should give middleweight a go.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2


  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    As Little Kang stated,Bj has seen many fighters pass him by.The UFC has moves very slowly in seeing improvements,it allows fighters to hang around without improving but Penn's time has come.
    The fighter i see maybe slipping next is GSP and i hate to say that,he has been my favorite for a long time.GSP has not improved one aspect of his game,the only aspect he improved was his lean muscle mass after struggling versus Hughes.

    There is absolutely no way Penn could improve himself at this point.The human body does not transform overnight or within a few months of training.He would have to take up a couple very active sports ,like Basketball or Hockey or Football,or even wrestling for endurance grappling.

    To be honest it was the people that surrounded him that ruined his career.First time i saw him ,i heard everyone ranting,yet all i saw was a guy gaining accolades for hopping around on one leg and using a rubber guard.I thought pfft he is average at best,but when everyone is giving you a superstar or "Prodigy" status,you begin to believe it.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    well he did win both the lw and ww belt.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,385Free
    zaksame said:

    As Little Kang stated,Bj has seen many fighters pass him by.The UFC has moves very slowly in seeing improvements,it allows fighters to hang around without improving but Penn's time has come.
    The fighter i see maybe slipping next is GSP and i hate to say that,he has been my favorite for a long time.GSP has not improved one aspect of his game,the only aspect he improved was his lean muscle mass after struggling versus Hughes.

    There is absolutely no way Penn could improve himself at this point.The human body does not transform overnight or within a few months of training.He would have to take up a couple very active sports ,like Basketball or Hockey or Football,or even wrestling for endurance grappling.

    To be honest it was the people that surrounded him that ruined his career.First time i saw him ,i heard everyone ranting,yet all i saw was a guy gaining accolades for hopping around on one leg and using a rubber guard.I thought pfft he is average at best,but when everyone is giving you a superstar or "Prodigy" status,you begin to believe it.

    LOLwut?!?!

    Improve his game? He already is the best at welterweight and beats everyone the UFC throws at him. So what are you looking for him to improve? I'm not even a GSP fan but do you actually believe some of the dumb **** you post? LoL

    image
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4
    image


  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    PoloRidah said:

    zaksame said:

    As Little Kang stated,Bj has seen many fighters pass him by.The UFC has moves very slowly in seeing improvements,it allows fighters to hang around without improving but Penn's time has come.
    The fighter i see maybe slipping next is GSP and i hate to say that,he has been my favorite for a long time.GSP has not improved one aspect of his game,the only aspect he improved was his lean muscle mass after struggling versus Hughes.

    There is absolutely no way Penn could improve himself at this point.The human body does not transform overnight or within a few months of training.He would have to take up a couple very active sports ,like Basketball or Hockey or Football,or even wrestling for endurance grappling.

    To be honest it was the people that surrounded him that ruined his career.First time i saw him ,i heard everyone ranting,yet all i saw was a guy gaining accolades for hopping around on one leg and using a rubber guard.I thought pfft he is average at best,but when everyone is giving you a superstar or "Prodigy" status,you begin to believe it.

    LOLwut?!?!

    Improve his game? He already is the best at welterweight and beats everyone the UFC throws at him. So what are you looking for him to improve? I'm not even a GSP fan but do you actually believe some of the dumb **** you post? LoL

    Right? I can only think of this to post:

    image
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • TheEmperorTheEmperor Posts: 1,764Free
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    FroZeN said:

    BJ Penn posted a facebook status earlier today that seemed as if he was answering someones question about him at 155 again. How do you guys think he'd fare?

    I think he should only fight again if he is at 155 strictly. I believe he could make a run for it but he has to be in shape and has to have good cardio. I really hope he proves the doubters wrong. He is naturally gifted and if he actually trains, it'd be 'mazin.

    What are your alls thoughts? Will BJ enslave the LW division again? I see Bendo giving him problems, but that's only cause of his pace.

    it wasn't that long ago that people were saying "who could possibly challenge BJ at 155"

    after his dominations of florian and sanchez, it looked like it was just going to be consistent domination at 155. all of a sudden, we realized that edgar/maynard were a class above penn. now it looks like pettis/bendo are also above penn. i think penn would be approx. the number 5 guy in the division, but it's all very close at the top so he'd have a shot

    have no idea why he doesn't do it...it's the most logical place for him to make a title run...there's no way he's doing it at 170 with gsp/rory/hendricks at the top
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,385Free
    Penn doesn't give a **** if his fans want to see him at 155 apparently. LoL
    image
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4
    image


  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,681Free
    PoloRidah said:

    Penn doesn't give a **** if his fans want to see him at 155 apparently. LoL
    nor should he
    image
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free
    Penn's best chance is at 155 but he isn't disciplined enough to stay at that weight.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

    UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

    UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

    Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    PoloRidah said:

    Penn doesn't give a **** if his fans want to see him at 155 apparently. LoL
    if he stays at WW he might as well retire for good.

    FEB. 2010
    image
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    Bj Peen needs better kickboxing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    image
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,089Premium
    Sisti said:

    FroZeN said:

    BJ Penn posted a facebook status earlier today that seemed as if he was answering someones question about him at 155 again. How do you guys think he'd fare?

    I think he should only fight again if he is at 155 strictly. I believe he could make a run for it but he has to be in shape and has to have good cardio. I really hope he proves the doubters wrong. He is naturally gifted and if he actually trains, it'd be 'mazin.

    What are your alls thoughts? Will BJ enslave the LW division again? I see Bendo giving him problems, but that's only cause of his pace.

    it wasn't that long ago that people were saying "who could possibly challenge BJ at 155"

    after his dominations of florian and sanchez, it looked like it was just going to be consistent domination at 155. all of a sudden, we realized that edgar/maynard were a class above penn. now it looks like pettis/bendo are also above penn. i think penn would be approx. the number 5 guy in the division, but it's all very close at the top so he'd have a shot

    have no idea why he doesn't do it...it's the most logical place for him to make a title run...there's no way he's doing it at 170 with gsp/rory/hendricks at the top
    Penn would smash Maynard.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2


  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    edited February 2013
    i dont think penn is in a condition to smash anyone anymore, he seriously needs to get away from all those yes men in his corner and go to a real gym where they actually train instead of play on the beach and eat nandos.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


Sign In or Register to comment.