Gunnar Nelson is very average.

TalkLostTalkLost Posts: 14Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
I was one of the people who fell for this guys hype train and believed he would be the next best thing, but after his performance against Santiago, I believe he will never be anything better than a top 10.
Post edited by TalkLost on
Tagged:

Comments

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free
    that "karate stance" makes me cringe every time I see it (inb4 somone carries on about Machida : D ). He wore some shot's that he really didn't need to.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
    he fought a middle weight and won, for a second time in a row in the ufc
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free
    Tahune said:

that "karate stance" makes me cringe every time I see it (inb4 somone carries on about Machida : D ). He wore some shot's that he really didn't need to.

LOLWUT?

The karate stance is the coolest thing about him! I love it!

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,061Premium
    top 10 is kinda above average. sorta kinda.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,365Free
    I said before the fight he needs to work on his striking he has a lot of potential still I think though.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,820Free
    edited February 2013
    santiago has great striking and nelson looked good agaisnt him in the standup, most high tier wws dont have the striking of santiago. They rely on thier ground game.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    Gunnar is overhyped.

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    His striking may not be at that top level but the fact that its so unpredictable is a major plus....

As far as his ground game goes....its well ABOVE average. Prob some of the best jits in the division. Don't forget, Santiago is not a easy guy to submit (never lost via sub in his career.)
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    not overly impressed with any part of his game. He wont beat the top 5
    imageimage

please don't edit this post to avoid future embarrassment B-)
    His striking is chalked full of holes, he had trouble with getting jorge down and jorge doesnt exactly have the best grappling in the division and even on the ground he couldnt do anything

gsp beats him
    as well as
    rory
    nick
    big rig
    condit
    macdonald
    maia
    fitch
    maybe ellenberger
    maybe shields
    etc
    imageimage
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Just too early .. just like it was early about Erick and Barboza !!!

Now, I think if he was all that, he would had beaten Santiago (finished) in a more domination way ...

Kid is good tho

please don't edit this post to avoid future embarrassment B-)
    His striking is chalked full of holes, he had trouble with getting jorge down and jorge doesnt exactly have the best grappling in the division and even on the ground he couldnt do anything

gsp beats him
    as well as
    rory
    nick
    big rig
    condit
    macdonald
    maia
    fitch
    maybe ellenberger
    maybe shields
    etc
    ...Jorge is a very well respected black belt with no sub losses.....

Gunnar is also a very well respected grappler with a couple of pan am medals and he beat the likes of Monson.
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free

His striking may not be at that top level but the fact that its so unpredictable is a major plus....

As far as his ground game goes....its well ABOVE average. Prob some of the best jits in the division. Don't forget, Santiago is not a easy guy to submit (never lost via sub in his career.)

He mounted Santiago ,a task Maia was EVEN unable to do,so his jitz is pretty nasty .Santiago has never been Subbed.Not to mention sandman is a natural middleweight ,and Gunnar could easily make lightweight, so size was a factor ,and he rocked the sandman pretty good ,so he has some punching power anyways .Have some patiance ,he's pretty good,and he's not scared to fight bigger guys,
    edh1 said:

He mounted Santiago ,a task Maia was EVEN unable to do,so his jitz is pretty nasty .Santiago has never been Subbed.Not to mention sandman is a natural middleweight ,and Gunnar could easily make lightweight, so size was a factor ,and he rocked the sandman pretty good ,so he has some punching power anyways .Have some patiance ,he's pretty good,and he's not scared to fight bigger guys,
    santiagos chin is well known to be questionable at best and his striking power isnt top. Jorge landed good shots on Gunnar and if that was from someone else gunnar could be asleep
    imageimage
    edited February 2013

edh1 said:

santiagos chin is well known to be questionable at best and his striking power isnt top. Jorge landed good shots on Gunnar and if that was from someone else gunnar could be asleep
    Almost half of Jorge's wins are by KO....he's still decent.

and while he doesn't have the best chin...Gunnar is a grappler first. Its not an easy matchup when your facing another top level black belt bjj practitioner. I guarantee most of the strikers from here on out aren't gonna have a ground background like Santiago does.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
    i want to see riddle vs nelson and santiago vs mills
    "Believe in the beard"

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    edited February 2013
    EVERYONE in the UFC is above average. Gunnars only problem was walking straight back with his hands down and chin up. Besides that which should be an easy fix, I thought he looked solid.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    That punch santiago landed in the last few seconds of the fight rocked him pretty bad you could tell, another 20 seconds and Gunner would of been finished i think.

edh1 said:

and while he doesn't have the best chin...Gunnar is a grappler first. Its not an easy matchup when your facing another top level black belt bjj practitioner. I guarantee most of the strikers from here on out aren't gonna have a ground background like Santiago does.
    but a lot of welters have a good enough wrestling background and experience to stop Gunnars takedowns to keep it striking
    imageimage
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    I like him, but he's overrated.
    Believe in Beard
    edited February 2013

edh1 said:

but a lot of welters have a good enough wrestling background and experience to stop Gunnars takedowns to keep it striking
    but not many of them have an elite striking background, kos? fitch? their striking is below gunnars, maybe ellenberger and hendricks would beat gunnar in a striking match, im pretty sure kampmann would and alves but can they avoid his takeown? but i think gunnar can cause problems for alot of guys on the feet

riddle is on a 4 fight win streak and i know gunnar could stop it.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

• andydandyd Posts: 104Free
    PunchBag said:

i want to see riddle vs nelson and santiago vs mills

That's a great shout. I wanna see those two fights too.

I've no interest in seeing Riddle v Hardy. And let's see what Riddle is like in BJJ 'Deep Water'.
    PunchBag said:

edh1 said:

but not many of them have an elite striking background, kos? fitch? their striking is below gunnars, maybe ellenberger and hendricks would beat gunnar in a striking match, im pretty sure kampmann would and alves but can they avoid his takeown? but i think gunnar can cause problems for alot of guys on the feet

riddle is on a 4 fight win streak and i know gunnar could stop it.
    I saw nothing in his striking to make me believe he would beat kos standing. Alves and Kampmann would stop his takedowns too and light him up standing.

and matt brown would stomp him good
    imageimage
  • creep_bbcreep_bb Posts: 121Free
    Well , ww is so stacked right now... we'll see what's he made of after his first fight with the sharks in the division. I like him, his head movement isn't his strong point tho...
    JDS Reem Machida Hendo Bones Shogun Rampage Wandy Spider Leben Hardy Rory Daley Diaz bros. Pettis Lauzon J.Miller Pearson Frankie Siver Cub Faber Barao Dodson
    edited February 2013
    Remember when Maia had a **** performance win against Santiago??

Now he's beaten 3 wrestlers straight in the WW division.

The only people who finish Jorge are known powerful strikers.

Just saying.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    I still love his Karate stance and stellar ground game. Gunnar could easily fight at LW and his first two fights in the UFC were against guy's who have fought at MW.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,296Free
    He's a lightweight that beat 2 Middleweights and Welterweight

hes GOAT

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion