Bas Rutten on Lyoto Machida.

Madvillain8Madvillain8 Posts: 887Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
I kind of half agree with Bas I believe that Lyoto has many techniques up his sleeve he just doesn't need to use them, he's got a lot of crafty trips and his grappling is underrated.

http://www.bjpenn.com/bas-rutten-critiques-lyoto-machida-doesnt-have-a-lot-of-weapons-ufc-news/
Post edited by Madvillain8 on

Comments

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    His grappling under rated ?? Maybe OVER rated,he almost got submitted by TITO ,enough said.
    His trips are nothing more than a simple Judo trip and imo he does not have a valid toolbox.
    What he does is the same as all counter strikers,he fights smart and plays the odds in his favor.He likes to stand there and stand there and stand there,then once a while he will dart in quick and jump out again.Think of Frankie Edgar but bigger.

IMO Lyoto has little ground game and would not want the fights to go there.Luckily he is very stocky and by not committing ,he is not easy to take down.Once a VERY weak division is starting to get a little better,but it is til la weak division that allows Lyoto to look relevant.
    Jones is far above all these guys and for most of the division,they are too old or beyond their prime to catch up to Jones.

The part Bas gets right is saying Lyoto does NOT have a lot of weapons and his attack is always the same,or i like to call it ,one dimensional.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 775Free
    zaksame said:

he fights smart and plays the odds in his favor.

That is the definition of a great fighter.

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,873Free
    hand fighting too.
    Machida is pretty good at that.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    edited February 2013
    machida is very well rounded, but him being elusive combined with great takedown defense means we rarely see him on the floor since he has the advantage in msot cases on the feet.

if theres 1 thing he lacks in the striking department its leg kicks.the reason he doesnt throw them is because of his karate stance he just doesnt have enough power in those shots from the way he throws them to do any real damage over a 3 rounder, he would have to throw them muai thai style.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
    I personally love seeing Machida fight, I just wish he would use his ground game a little more.

You'd think a guy who trains with Anderson and the Noguieras would have a sick ground game but the only sub win i can remember of his is against Sokodjou. There's no shame in getting caught in that Triangle of Titos. It was set up technically perfect, Machida would have gone to sleep but when he did that flip to get out of it Tito panicked and tried to switch to an armbar even though he had the triangle in place.

Man that would have been an amazing moment in UFC history but props to Machida for not panicking and making a mistake.
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,197Free
    Bas is partly right

Machida actually has no weapons, he is a point fighter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    I actually always enjoyed watching machida fight because he's so much different than most guys. He's that cool karate master-type guy who has enough realistic boxing/jiu-jitsu/wrestling skills where he could realistically hang with the big boys and utilize his intense karate training he's been dedicating himself to since he was 3

Remember that this guy was 15-0 at one point with wins over BJ, Franklin, and a crazy KO over Rashad. He's f'in good!
  • georgelebrungeorgelebrun Posts: 1,665Free
    zaksame said:

His grappling under rated ?? Maybe OVER rated,he almost got submitted by TITO ,enough said.
    His trips are nothing more than a simple Judo trip and imo he does not have a valid toolbox.
    What he does is the same as all counter strikers,he fights smart and plays the odds in his favor.He likes to stand there and stand there and stand there,then once a while he will dart in quick and jump out again.Think of Frankie Edgar but bigger.

IMO Lyoto has little ground game and would not want the fights to go there.Luckily he is very stocky and by not committing ,he is not easy to take down.Once a VERY weak division is starting to get a little better,but it is til la weak division that allows Lyoto to look relevant.
    Jones is far above all these guys and for most of the division,they are too old or beyond their prime to catch up to Jones.

The part Bas gets right is saying Lyoto does NOT have a lot of weapons and his attack is always the same,or i like to call it ,one dimensional.

Edgar but bigger? Are you kidding me?? Lyoto finishes fights! He also lands hard clean shots, no pitter patter BS
    The Diaz Brothers - The Sex - The Shogun Warrior - The H Bomb - The Reem - JDS - The Smooth One - The California Kid - The Korean Zombie - The Gangster from West Linn - The Count all FTW!!

Sig Bet record 3 - 0
  • georgelebrungeorgelebrun Posts: 1,665Free

Bas is partly right

I disagree, I don't think he is a point fighter, I just think he waits for the perfect strike, like the Couture fight, the Bader fight.
    The Diaz Brothers - The Sex - The Shogun Warrior - The H Bomb - The Reem - JDS - The Smooth One - The California Kid - The Korean Zombie - The Gangster from West Linn - The Count all FTW!!

Sig Bet record 3 - 0
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,924Free
    Machida is a real fighter. He doesnt resort to drinking PED's like water which is made in a labratory composing of 2 Hydrogen and one Oxygen. That is synthetic liquid created for the cheaters. Lyoto is all natural sippin' on urine straight from his own body.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

Machida is a real fighter. He doesnt resort to drinking PED's like water which is made in a labratory composing of 2 Hydrogen and one Oxygen. That is synthetic liquid created for the cheaters. Lyoto is all natural sippin' on urine straight from his own body.

truth
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,021Free
    zaksame said:

Jones is far above all these guys

...in arm and leg reach.

Agreed.

• sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    I'm glad I read the last paragraph before commenting
    As it turns out, he contacted mmainterviews.tv after the interview to clarify that he meant to say that Lyoto Machida uses few weapons, not has few weapons. He claimed that he was in no way trying to discredit him.

imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,924Free
    Lmao, zaksame posts and we critic. Every one of homies comments gets mixed reviews.
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate

Lmao, zaksame posts and we critic. Every one of homies comments gets mixed reviews.

I threw a "like" in there just so there is a variety
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free

Mixed reviews? He is without a shadow of a doubt the dumbest brick on this forum
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,159Free
    "You know a thousand moves and you suck at every one of them." - Carlson Gracie Sr.
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,527Free
    I like Bas but he's out of his mind. Lyoto will pick Hendo apart and could easily outgrapple him. The Gun took Hendo down at will and mounted him 5 different times.
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Machida would KO Bas all night long if they would had fought
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    bas became champ when the ufc was like strikeforce of the promotions...
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free

Bas is partly right

I disagree, I don't think he is a point fighter, I just think he waits for the perfect strike, like the Couture fight, the Bader fight.
    Great kicker ,great puncher,elusive,great takedown defence.The guy is 1 of the best,KO'd Couture, Rashad ,,Silva,Bader AND Rocked Jon Jones Even.You will be eating your words after Hendo gets outlassed.BADLY
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    Mangasm said:

Mixed reviews? He is without a shadow of a doubt the dumbest brick on this forum
    I assume he's trolling most of the time!!!He does say some wacky stuff LOL