Is 2013 The First Year Where There Has Been A Seemingly Unbeatable Champ From Every Division?

TalkLostTalkLost Posts: 14Free
Flyweight - With how shallow that division is, I don't see Mighty Mouse losing his belt anytime soon.

Bantamweight - Cruz is light years ahead of everyone in that division, except for maybe Barao. However, I believe Cruz will beat Barao and that will leave no more worthy contenders that actually pose a threat to Cruz. He's keeping that belt for a looong time.

Featherweight - Do I even need to go into detail with this weight class? No one at featherweight has the skills to beat Aldo, and for as long as he stays at featherweight, he'll remain champion.

Lightweight - Benson is just too big, strong and well rounded for anyone at lightweight, he's keeping that belt for as long as he wants. I do however believe Frankie won their 2nd fight though.

Welterweight - GSP is the most well rounded fighter in the UFC today. Everything he does, he does to perfection. He is the definition of a true mixed martial artist and I guarantee he'll retire with that belt.

Middleweight - Silva will never be beaten at middleweight, end of story. Some people believe Weidman is the man to dethrone him but to be honest I don't really see what Weidman brings that Silva hasn't dealt with before. Its the same story everytime Silva fights, "oh this guys definitely the guy to beat Silva, he's got this and he's got that." but yet Silva wins every single time and makes you feel like an idiot for actually believing his opponent stood a chance. Weidman will be no exception. I do however believe that if Silva was to move up and fight Jones, only then would he lose.

Light Heavyweight - Jones will run this division forever. He is the greatest talent and most dominant champion the UFC has ever seen. No one, absolutely no one is going to beat him at light heavyweight.

Heavyweight - Cain proved in the second fight with Dos Santos that he is infact the much superior fighter and is skill wise so far above anyone in that division. He also proved that Dos Santos only has a punchers chance to beat him, if he can't land that knockout blow, Cain will dominate him. Personally I believe the person with the best chance at beating Cain is Werdum, and I still think even he'd lose pretty decisively to Cain.
Tagged:

Comments

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    edited February 2013
    nah,

HW will never have a dominant champ like LHW and below are capable of having. Anyone could land that KO punch.

FW is about to get a new champ in Pettis

LW is way too deep for Bendo to win all of the fights. He might be able to but its way too early to tell. Besides when Pettis wins the FW he already said he wants to fight Bendo and take his belt which would happen as well.

BW I agree Cruz would beat Barao (if he's 100%) and if not then Barao would prob just run the division from there.

FlyW is way too fresh of a division to claim a dominant champ.

MW, WW, and LHW have been dominated for quite some time so no disagreement there.

Seriously though, Bias aside....yea Aldo dominates that division but im dead serious about LW....It would be extremely hard for someone to hold that division down.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    edited February 2013
    People have usually called the champs unbeatable. There is nothing new about this group.
    Post edited by Mangasm on
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free
    No,

Flyweight: Benavidez is there . Their first fight was not a one sided fight.

Bantamweight: Cruz will have his hands full with Barao. He is not light years ahead as OP mentioned IMO.

Heavyweight: History shows that HW title wont be for one individual for a long time. JDS is still a reality and I am not going to count him out . No hope for Bigfoot though.

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,619Free
    edited February 2013
    none of them are unbeatable but Jones and Silva are the only two I'd consider close. Maybe GSP too, WW is just so stacked
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free

none of them are unbeatable but Jones and Silva are the only two I'd consider close.

Really? I think Hendricks is the only guy who can even have a chance to beat GSP at 170
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
    Mangasm said:

none of them are unbeatable but Jones and Silva are the only two I'd consider close.

Really? I think Hendricks is the only guy who can even have a chance to beat GSP at 170
    Maybe. I just think GSP looks a lot more vulnerable than the other two. I'd pick GSP over anyone currently at WW but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get caught and finished.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    4 dominant champs, Aldo. GSP, Silva, and Jones. I thought Faber beat Cruz, I thought Creepy beat Mouse, Pettis already beat Bendo, and JDS already beat Velasquez.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

4 dominant champs, Aldo. GSP, Silva, and Jones. I thought Faber beat Cruz, I thought Creepy beat Mouse, Pettis already beat Bendo, and JDS already beat Velasquez.

It's not like the other 4 haven't lost though
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,607Free
    Jones isn't making it through the Chael/Hendo gauntlet
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    In there last fights Gsp and Jones both came the close to losing, gsp got caught with a head kick which may of finished a lesser fighter and bones should of had his arm broke in half by Belfort.
    No, for two reasons.

One, when I first started watching MMA, the five champs were BJ Penn, Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, and Brock Lesnar. No one thought they could be beaten at the time, I think more than any other time since I've started watching the sport.

Two, we have the following now:

Demetrious Johnson - He's a good champion, but after his first two flyweight title fights in which he was almost finished, you'd be crazy to think he's anything close to unbeatable. He could lose in rematches to Benavidez or Dodson.

Dominick Cruz - He seems very beatable by Barao, especially considering the monstrous ring rust.

Jose Aldo - He seems pretty unbeatable.

Ben Henderson - He barely squeeked by Frankie Edgar the second time (and I thought he should've lost). If the top-ranked lightweight contender wasn't fight for the belt at 145 for some stupid reason then he would arguably be the underdog going into a fight with him.

Georges St. Pierre - Even though he was once invincible, in his last two fights he's dropped rounds to the challenger, which is something he never used to do. And he was knocked down by Condit. With someone like Johnny Hendricks or Rory MacDonald coming, it's very easy to see him losing.

Anderson Silva - He's a monster, but Chael showed us he can for sure be beaten, and he might Chris Weidman up next, who's probably got the best chance of doing it.

Jon Jones - He seems pretty unbeatable too, but he's going to lose to Sonnen.

Cain Velasquez - Two fights ago he was knocked out in sixty-four seconds by a man he's very, very likely to fight again soon.
    Post edited by DaPhreshness on
    Favorite Fighters by Division:

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Minotauro Nogueira/Matt Mitrione
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,062Premium
    St. Pierre is NOT the most well rounded fighter.

He has a specific skillset that is extremely dominant and completely neutralizes all of his opponents game. He's also one of the most athletic competitors in mma.

He has extraordinary wrestling and top control. His striking is not that good. His jiu jitsu is not that good. But his wrestling makes them seem better then they are.

He got handily outstruck and tapped to strikes by a 5'6 jiu jitsu guy who trained boxing exclusively in the hopes that George would stand with him. He was caught in a submission by a wrestler off his back. He failed to complete locked in submissions against a one dimensional striker. He failed to knock out a man who could not see any strikes coming from his right hand side.

He is the best at what he does though, and what he does makes him a champion.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    I agree with this. Something about the evolution of MMA is that it allows for the cream of the crop to finally rise in every division. The best guy is the champ in each division. It's not like a couple of years ago when Jones was tearing through everyone but just was too young to get his title shot.

The 3 obvious dominant champions are GSP, Silva, and Jones. Don't see any of those guys losing any time soon

The other 5 champs are all obviously the best in the division, but not 100% untouchable. I definitely think ur right tho and that the current champs are much ahead of the rest of their division. It makes it kinda cool because to be a champ now u really have to be on ur game
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free

It's not like the other 4 haven't lost though
    Jones by DQ, the other 3 have long winning streaks.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • TheUnicornTheUnicorn Posts: 493Free
    TalkLost said:

Flyweight - With how shallow that division is, I don't see Mighty Mouse losing his belt anytime soon.

Bantamweight - Cruz is light years ahead of everyone in that division, except for maybe Barao. However, I believe Cruz will beat Barao and that will leave no more worthy contenders that actually pose a threat to Cruz. He's keeping that belt for a looong time.

Featherweight - Do I even need to go into detail with this weight class? No one at featherweight has the skills to beat Aldo, and for as long as he stays at featherweight, he'll remain champion.

Lightweight - Benson is just too big, strong and well rounded for anyone at lightweight, he's keeping that belt for as long as he wants. I do however believe Frankie won their 2nd fight though.

Welterweight - GSP is the most well rounded fighter in the UFC today. Everything he does, he does to perfection. He is the definition of a true mixed martial artist and I guarantee he'll retire with that belt.

Middleweight - Silva will never be beaten at middleweight, end of story. Some people believe Weidman is the man to dethrone him but to be honest I don't really see what Weidman brings that Silva hasn't dealt with before. Its the same story everytime Silva fights, "oh this guys definitely the guy to beat Silva, he's got this and he's got that." but yet Silva wins every single time and makes you feel like an idiot for actually believing his opponent stood a chance. Weidman will be no exception. I do however believe that if Silva was to move up and fight Jones, only then would he lose.

Light Heavyweight - Jones will run this division forever. He is the greatest talent and most dominant champion the UFC has ever seen. No one, absolutely no one is going to beat him at light heavyweight.

Heavyweight - Cain proved in the second fight with Dos Santos that he is infact the much superior fighter and is skill wise so far above anyone in that division. He also proved that Dos Santos only has a punchers chance to beat him, if he can't land that knockout blow, Cain will dominate him. Personally I believe the person with the best chance at beating Cain is Werdum, and I still think even he'd lose pretty decisively to Cain.

John Moraga for the upset
    HW- Pat Barry

LHW- Maldonado, Diabate

MW- Chris Leben, Vitor

WW- Nick Diaz

LW- Nate Diaz, Varner

FW- Bart P

BW- Eddie Wineland

Flyweight- Louis Gaudinot

Sigbet record 2-1