Ellenberger: Hendricks is taking the back door

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
UFC welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger (28-6) thinks Johny Hendricks (14-1) is ducking him. The two were scheduled to face off at UFC 158, but an injury to Rory MacDonald (14-1) left Hendricks fighting Carlos Condit (28-6) and Ellenberger welcoming Nate Marquardt (32-11) back to the UFC. For his part, "Bigg Rigg" says the switch was his manager's decision. But "The Juggernaut" told MMA Junkie Hendricks chose a less dangerous path by lobbying for the fight with Condit.

"That's completely wrong. He's trying to word it differently to make it sound like he's not taking the backdoor, which he is ... [Hendricks has] beat a lot of great fighters, and people would argue he's the No. 1 contender, which I wouldn't disagree with. But when you're in that position, you don't get to choose who you fight. So for him to call the shots is absolutely pathetic ... Dana told him if he beats Jake Ellenberger, he gets a shot at the title. That's what he told him. Johny took the back door and wanted to take a less dangerous fight and I say that respectfully to Carlos ... I just think it's ridiculous for him to call the shots. As a professional fighter, that's not your job. You don't say who you're going to fight; you fight who they tell you."

From MMA Lives Here
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 814Free
    Well Hendricks is looking more and more like an idiot as he opens his mouth. I really like hendricks till he said GSP was ducking him. Diaz by many people's opinion beat Condit and is still top 5, and to think GSP is ducking him is laughable. I think Jake has the recipe to beat Hendricks. Hes got power, a great chin and ausome TDD. Either way Hendricks needs to speak carefully.
  • PenguPengu Posts: 4,130Free
    Hendricks would of had beat Ellenberger, but I think him vs Condit is great fight.
    Good way to test Condit's chin
    Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all Night! All day!

Osu!

• Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 975Free
    Ellenberger needs to STFU. Johnny would have beat him and Marquardt easily could too.

When Condit isn't using the Team Jackson Pointfighting Method, he is much more dangerous than Ellenberger. Jake should use his extra time to work on his **** cardio rather than whine to the media.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,296Free
    Neither Ellenberger or Hendricks are better than GSP or Rory, so it doesn't matter
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,869Free
    edited February 2013
    i can see both ellenberger and hendricks giving problems to rory penn got rory down briefly in their fight.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Hammer_DownHammer_Down Posts: 504Free
    I think both Jake and Johnny would grown man Rory. I think Rory has been gifted a lot of fights with physically underwhelming individuals and people who cant match his size and strength and its given him a big head. His two biggest wins are against true 155ers. Condit pushed him and he wilted. I think the same would happen against tanks like Jake and Johnny. I think Kos would beat him too.

Also Jake is just doing whats right for him here. Of course he would rather steal Johnny's thunder in one fight and get a title shot rather than have to fight Nate, wait for Johnny to fight GSP, and maybe take one or two other fights. That and Jake is known for stepping up into big fights on short notice and fighting whoevers thrown his way. Hes allowed to criticize others who try to duck and maneuver.
    Favorite Fighters:

HW - Carwin, Cain

LHW - Henderson, Rampage

MW - Sonnen, Palhares

WW - GSP, Fitch, Ellenberger

LW - Maynard, Pettis

FW - Aldo

BW - Faber

I think both Jake and Johnny would grown man Rory. I think Rory has been gifted a lot of fights with physically underwhelming individuals and people who cant match his size and strength and its given him a big head. His two biggest wins are against true 155ers. Condit pushed him and he wilted. I think the same would happen against tanks like Jake and Johnny. I think Kos would beat him too.

Also Jake is just doing whats right for him here. Of course he would rather steal Johnny's thunder in one fight and get a title shot rather than have to fight Nate, wait for Johnny to fight GSP, and maybe take one or two other fights. That and Jake is known for stepping up into big fights on short notice and fighting whoevers thrown his way. Hes allowed to criticize others who try to duck and maneuver.

I agree about Rory.

I don't think he has the right to criticize when the no 1 contender decides to take a tougher fight. Hendricks knows that his lack of marketability(which is crazy considering his opponents and exciting style) kept him from getting a shot. A win over Condit helps his earning potential a hell of a lot more than beating Jake.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,869Free
    agreed hendricks made the right choice, but i can see hendricks loosing to condit
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

PunchBag said:

agreed hendricks made the right choice, but i can see hendricks loosing to condit

It's truly a coin toss IMO. I like both guys and can't decide which will prevail, Johnny's left hand or Carlos' chin and cardio.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,407Free
    Ellenberger is just pissed he isn't getting a gifted fight with the number one contender anymore. A win over Hendricks woulda threw him back in the title picture. He needs to STFU and realize he has a whole nother beast in front of him now in Nate The Great.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• edh1edh1 Posts: 965Free
    I don't think Condit is an easier fight than Ellenberger .Unless Hendricks decides to go with a wrestling first approach ,and take carlos down,and try to keep him there .Hendricks won't be taking a lot of chances against Carlos ,because in his mind he is already the #1 contender.Carlos is a much better striker that Johny or Ellenberger.But could lose by ud because of his Takedown Defence , if Hendricks opts to go for a low risk uninmpressive win.Jake should worry about Nate ,he could be a sleeper in this Tourney,yes he lost to Saffadienne,but when he's on he can hang with any WW in the world.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,407Free
    edh1 said:

I don't think Condit is an easier fight than Ellenberger .Unless Hendricks decides to go with a wrestling first approach ,and take carlos down,and try to keep him there .Hendricks won't be taking a lot of chances against Carlos ,because in his mind he is already the #1 contender.Carlos is a much better striker that Johny or Ellenberger.But could lose by ud because of his Takedown Defence , if Hendricks opts to go for a low risk uninmpressive win.Jake should worry about Nate ,he could be a sleeper in this Tourney,yes he lost to Saffadienne,but when he's on he can hang with any WW in the world.

I disagree. I think Hendricks is going to go out there and try to knock Condit's head off.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4