Will the GSP curse take effect on Condit?

Hammer_DownHammer_Down Posts: 504Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
If you look at most of GSP's title challengers a lot of their careers have taken a turn for the worse after losing to GSP. Alves was actually ranked P4P before he fought GSP. Fitch has looked more human in every fight after the GSP loss. Hardy is pretty self explanatory. Kos and Shields have looked pretty garbage too.

A lot of people keep saying that maybe GSPs competition really isn't that good especially when the rest of the division knock out former challengers that GSP decisioned, but I think that a loss to GSP really messes up a lot of these guys mentally. You can argue that the same thing happens against Jon Jones too when someone fights a guy that they know they cant beat and they realized their life's work probably cant get them the title as long as that guys there. I think the same thing doesn't happen with Anderson as much because his fights are more flashy and you get people having those "lucky kick" delusions thinking they still have a shot.

Do you see this happening to Condit? Given the nature of Condit's loss in that it was one-sided, but he had GSP on the ropes I think Condit is actually a guy who will get better instead of fall off the map like the rest of those guys.
Post edited by Hammer_Down on
Favorite Fighters:

HW - Carwin, Cain

LHW - Henderson, Rampage

MW - Sonnen, Palhares

WW - GSP, Fitch, Ellenberger

LW - Maynard, Pettis

FW - Aldo

BW - Faber
Tagged:

Comments

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    nah but the mini H Bomb will.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    Well Condit was always overated imo anyways
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    condit isnt overated hes going to beat hendricks
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,066Premium
    I hope so, I remember watching Hendricks in his ufc debut against Amir, iffy stoppage but I was still wow'd. He slipped my vision for a while but really exploded into my sights again with his last 3 wins all against top guys. I was always indifferent to Condit, so I'd definitely prefer Johny to win.

Not only that but if Condit wins, he's not going near the title any time soon, unless GSP fails a drug test and is stripped or something.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free

If you look at most of GSP's title challengers a lot of their careers have taken a turn for the worse after losing to GSP. Alves was actually ranked P4P before he fought GSP. Fitch has looked more human in every fight after the GSP loss. Hardy is pretty self explanatory. Kos and Shields have looked pretty garbage too.

A lot of people keep saying that maybe GSPs competition really isn't that good especially when the rest of the division knock out former challengers that GSP decisioned, but I think that a loss to GSP really messes up a lot of these guys mentally. You can argue that the same thing happens against Jon Jones too when someone fights a guy that they know they cant beat and they realized their life's work probably cant get them the title as long as that guys there. I think the same thing doesn't happen with Anderson as much because his fights are more flashy and you get people having those "lucky kick" delusions thinking they still have a shot.

Do you see this happening to Condit? Given the nature of Condit's loss in that it was one-sided, but he had GSP on the ropes I think Condit is actually a guy who will get better instead of fall off the map like the rest of those guys.

I think if there was ever a time for Condit to lose confidence it was his debut in the UFC.
    Coming off of his fourth straight title defense of the WEC welterweight championship, he debuted not having lost in many years, only to have all of that mean nothing after the fight that was awarded to Martin Kampman.

Right then and there, I imagine he had to be mentally distraught, after a while these guys believe there own hype and when they finally falter it can be devastating, but Condit didn't give up. He was handed debuting Jake Ellenberger and in turn put an end to Jakes 4 fight win streak. Then he was handed relative newcomer Rory MacDonald and in turn handed MacDonald his first career loss.

What I'm saying is Carlos isn't known to crumble under pressure. He also has only lost twice in a row once, 7 years ago to Jake Shields and Pat Healy, after the losses Condit went on an 8 fight 2 year unbeaten streak capturing the WEC title.

Condit is winning this fight. Believe it, and he'll get his rematch with GSP and take that belt homie, dont be scared
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free

Condit is winning this fight. Believe it, and he'll get his rematch with GSP and take that belt homie, dont be scared

he might get his rematch with GSP, but the belt will be in another hands mate

Man for the sake of all the Diaz fan boys, I pray Diaz doesn't win. Because seeing Condit defeat Diaz again will likely cause mass suicides world wide.
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free

he might get his rematch with GSP, but the belt will be in another hands mate

Man for the sake of all the Diaz fan boys, I pray Diaz doesn't win. Because seeing Condit defeat Diaz again will likely cause mass suicides world wide.
    lul wut he hasn't even done it once
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    A curse is a mild way of putting it.The guys he beats lose motivation because they feel they have no chance at all at becoming champion.That is the goal of most if not all of these fighters,to one day fight for the title and win it.The Koscheck standup video is a perfect example of a demotivated fighter,he talks short of wishing GSP would retire or move to another division.

IMO GSP did not look good versus Condit,so that might keep Condit's hopes up for a rematch.I think Condit will be fine but that doesn't mean he impressed me either.He is slowish,even that leg kick on GSP was very slow and just tossed up there,i am surprised GSP allowed himself to be hit by it.
    I am sure it was in part GSP that made Condit sort of look average but still Condit did not do much to leave me thinking he can win this next fight.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.