MMA is at a turning point.

joeyp1joeyp1 Posts: 272Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
Whats in question isnt Jon Fitch. Its isnt even Dana.

Its the framework of the sport.

UFC for good or bad, represents MMA in a huge way.

There is STILL real professional wrestling somewhere. But somewhere down the line, the mainstream orgs went prescripted.

They didnt tell anyone. They just did it.

With UFC credibility has always been king. Any suggestion that the fights were fixed, would lead to the total distruction of the brand, and damage the sport completely. Only a death in the Octagon on Fox would have a similar effect.

UFC to my knowledge does not prescript. What they have done and are continuing to do, is to subtly tilt the playing field.

Sun Tzu famously suggested the winner of any war was the person who understood strategc considerations and enjoyed the advantage in them. Basically if i take on Cain V, Anderson Silva and JDS, only with a machine gun in my hand, then i win.

UFC doesnt give people machine guns, what it does do is tilt the pitch in favour of one guy or another, and they have always done this, following their own interests. ie commercial considerations.

UFC is a business, but MMA is a sport. And they have done this many times subtly until now.

The reason the Fitch cut pissed so many people off isnt as a few posters suggested, that Fitch had a huge sleeping fanbase. lol.

Its because it affects the framework of the sport itself. The UFC arent just outside promoting fights, they are in the Octagon telling people how to fight.

Are we really about establishing the greatest fighter in the world under mma rules? and the best group of fighters beneath them...

Or

Are we about hitting the exact same demography and selling points of WWE, under the pretense of a sport.

100 cuts will answer this question more than any words to be typed here.

For me we are in show fighting territory when you cut a top elite guy for no competitive reason.

For others Honda is fighting tonight, and she is pretty and she has skills and therel be hendo machida too. SO its all good.

Its easy to forget Jon Fitch, but every fight tonight happens under the roof built by the UFC and on the foundations of MMA as sport.

You start **** with the foundations, and you risk everything under that roof.
Post edited by joeyp1 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Antoine69Antoine69 Posts: 28Free
    Yep. You can't cut Fitch, he should have retired in the hall of fame. Now, his name is thrown in the mud. Here is a list of cuts you need to make before Fitch at his weight. Akiyama, Alves (he needs to stay put but cut before Fitch), Alloway, Brown, Catone, Clemens, Cote, Diaz, Ebersole, Hardy, Hathaway, Kampmann (Fitch would destroy him), Hyun-Kim, Lawler, Ludwig, Marquardt, Mein, etc. I mean, now, Dana, tell me it's not personal. It is. You whole mw roster needs to be cut. Keep 5 on it and stop doing undercards. Make a farm system to help out the main five fights per tv shows sometimes. Fitch is your top dog in your farm system since you can't keep more than 8 mw. I give you 10... two ranked under Fitch. Still...

Rashad is done, cut him. the Nogueiras are on their downfall, cut em. Overeem is juiced cut him. Bader can't win, cut him. Griffin dont want to fight, cut him. Rampage career is behind him, cut him. Machida will never beat Jones, lost to Rua, cut both. They are done. They had their shot like Fitch had. It's stupid.
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,960Free
    Lmao, this guy has to be Jon Fitch.
  • KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free
    Antoine69 said:

Yep. You can't cut Fitch, he should have retired in the hall of fame. Now, his name is thrown in the mud. Here is a list of cuts you need to make before Fitch at his weight. Akiyama, Alves (he needs to stay put but cut before Fitch), Alloway, Brown, Catone, Clemens, Cote, Diaz, Ebersole, Hardy, Hathaway, Kampmann (Fitch would destroy him), Hyun-Kim, Lawler, Ludwig, Marquardt, Mein, etc. I mean, now, Dana, tell me it's not personal. It is. You whole mw roster needs to be cut. Keep 5 on it and stop doing undercards. Make a farm system to help out the main five fights per tv shows sometimes. Fitch is your top dog in your farm system since you can't keep more than 8 mw. I give you 10... two ranked under Fitch. Still...

Rashad is done, cut him. the Nogueiras are on their downfall, cut em. Overeem is juiced cut him. Bader can't win, cut him. Griffin dont want to fight, cut him. Rampage career is behind him, cut him. Machida will never beat Jones, lost to Rua, cut both. They are done. They had their shot like Fitch had. It's stupid.

Mein has not have his debut in UFC ,how can you cut a fighter before debut?

Rampage is gone.

Machida may never beat jones( but there is the chance) but since a fighter can not beat the champ, does not mean he deserves to be cut.Please do not cut them , I beg you . [-O<
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    How can ANYONE cry this much about not having to see Jon Fitch any more?

It's astounding
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
    Antoine69 said:

You are so obviously a joeyp alt
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

• horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
    edited February 2013
    Antoine69 said:

whoah there guy

You best not be talkin bout the greatest Featherweight champion of all time, the one, the only, Legendary Mike Brown.

them are fightin words homie
    Post edited by horrorfan663 on
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • joeyp1joeyp1 Posts: 272Free
    Mangasm said:

Antoine69 said:

or maybe not everyone agrees.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    Antoine69 said:

Rashad, Big Nog, Rampage, Machida and Rua are all former champions....something Fitch was/is not
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    joeyp1 said:

Mangasm said:

Antoine69 said:

No. That is totally you

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,719Free
    Mangasm said:

How can ANYONE cry this much about not having to see Jon Fitch any more?

It's astounding

Agreed

I don't get it
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,211Free
    Bottom line is fighters need to understand they are not valuble to the growth of this sport if they can't be entertaining. I can agree there needs to be a balance. The sport almost died early on because it was to extreme the other way. It was too violent for most eyes. Now with fighters like fitch winning simply on control and fighting to simply protect thier position instead of actually going out there and trying to actually BEAT thier opponent and give the fans something they would want to watch again. If all fighters adopted Fitch mentality the sport would DIE!

Fighters need to learn a lesson that nobody wants to see that play it safe at all cost mentality. IT WILL KILL the sport just as the just bleed overly brutal mentality almost killed the sport before it had a chance to grow and thrive.

Fighters like that DO need to be treated a little differently because thier ACTIONS ARE KILLING the sport and they need to be cut out like cancer before it spreads.
    Mangasm said:

joeyp1 said:

Mangasm said:

Antoine69 said:

No. That is totally you
    its not. go ask a mod.

Bottom line is fighters need to understand they are not valuble to the growth of this sport if they can't be entertaining. I can agree there needs to be a balance. The sport almost died early on because it was to extreme the other way. It was too violent for most eyes. Now with fighters like fitch winning simply on control and fighting to simply protect thier position instead of actually going out there and trying to actually BEAT thier opponent and give the fans something they would want to watch again. If all fighters adopted Fitch mentality the sport would DIE!

its not a sport then. change the rules or stop calling it a sport, when people are punished outside of the rules.

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    edited February 2013
    Nothing about Fitching your way to victory will get you fired. The fact is, Fitch got out-Fitched.

If you wanna play that game, you better be the best at it because there's only one spot in the division for that caliber of fighter and Maia just overtook it.
    Post edited by bluesy on
    level playing field. a basic concept of sport. all fighters compete under the same rules. there is no "if you are going to fight this way, then you will be penalised"

the reason that rule dont exist, is gsp would be unemployed man.
    joeyp1 said:

level playing field. a basic concept of sport. all fighters compete under the same rules. there is no "if you are going to fight this way, then you will be penalised"

the reason that rule dont exist, is gsp would be unemployed man.

GSP is multi-talented, though. He can bore you on the feet AND on the ground. And, more importantly, nobody can stop him! He's the best at what he does, period. Plus, despite how unpopular his tactics are, the man himself creates quite a stir and people wanna watch his fights. Fitch doesn't have any of that going for him, therefore he fails. Hard truth.
    the conspiracy theory is that koscheck, fitch and pierce will beat the living **** out of most of the other contenders, and therefore they gotta go. sport is sport tho, and sport aint this, however you cut it.
    joeyp1 said:

the conspiracy theory is that koscheck, fitch and pierce will beat the living **** out of most of the other contenders, and therefore they gotta go. sport is sport tho, and sport aint this, however you cut it.

Until Kos and Pierce get cut for that reason, you can't make that claim. This is just Fitch. People have hated on him since Day One and as surprising as this was, it wasn't that much of a shock.
    its not about fitch. its like cutting the black guy at the office for no reason. its what it represents.
    joeyp1 said:

its not about fitch. its like cutting the black guy at the office for no reason. its what it represents.

Can't say there's no reason behind it. There are plenty of reasons and they're all valid. It don't signal the demise of the sport's integrity.

There's always a small group of folks waiting to talk catastrophe with every subsequent development. Oh, this is changing, that's changing, it's all headed in a bad direction... The Josh Grosses and Loretta Hunts have harped on that tune for years and for the most part it's based on nothing but conscious attempts to cook up wild stories. The fact is, you don't always get what you want in this sport. You never did, you never will. You might think you can sit behind your laptop and give these guys golden advice on how to run their business better but, really, you're just a **** with an opinion, struggling to manage the day-to-day **** that happens in your own life. There's always room to complain, but calm the **** down with all the grand narrative speak. It just makes you look silly.
    edited February 2013
    double post
    Post edited by bluesy on
    edited February 2013
    bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

Can't say there's no reason behind it. There are plenty of reasons and they're all valid. It don't signal the demise of the sport's integrity.

There's always a small group of folks waiting to talk catastrophe with every subsequent development. Oh, this is changing, that's changing, it's all headed in a bad direction... The Josh Grosses and Loretta Hunts have harped on that tune for years and for the most part it's based on nothing but conscious attempts to cook up wild stories. The fact is, you don't always get what you want in this sport. You never did, you never will. You might think you can sit behind your laptop and give these guys golden advice on how to run their business better but, really, you're just a **** with an opinion, struggling to manage the day-to-day **** that happens in your own life. There's always room to complain, but calm the **** down with all the grand narrative speak. It just makes you look silly.

we disagree. you cant have it both ways. your verbal attack makes you sound simple and cretinous. i know a lot more about this so called sport than you know about strangers on the internet. there already is a grand narrative, ie real fighting. or sport fighting. if you **** on that then you **** on that. you cant **** on that and then pretend it didnt happen. thats just dumb.

i suggest you take your own advice and go smack a pillow with a rubber baseball bat. you are a joke amongst adults, with your attitude to disagreement. i mean really. go read your post as if someone wrote it to you and then come back with a **** argument based on something other than projection and telepathy.

there are incremental developments leading the sporting aspect off a cliff. and yes, people notice.

most dont. most people dont even know who any of these guys are.

the fitch thing broke a load of invisable lines and set new precedents.

heres what you have to understand. different people advocare different things.

i advocate fighting. and because we cant have that, i advocate the sporting alternative.

what i hate is the corruption of a fair fight.

now if you love dana you might see everything as a partisan attack. likewise if you hate fitch.

but when your agenda is the legitimacy of the sport itself, then you cant go far wrong.
    Post edited by joeyp1 on
    edited February 2013
    joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

we disagree. you cant have it both ways. your verbal attack makes you sound simple and cretinous. i know a lot more about this so called sport than you know about strangers on the internet. there already is a grand narrative, ie real fighting. or sport fighting. if you **** on that then you **** on that. you cant **** on that and then pretend it didnt happen. thats just dumb.

i suggest you take your own advice and go smack a pillow with a rubber baseball bat. you are a joke amongst adults, with your attitude to disagreement. i mean really. go read your post as if someone wrote it to you and then come back with a **** argument based on something other than projection and telepathy.

there are incremental developments leading the sporting aspect off a cliff. and yes, people notice.

i advocate fighting. and because we cant have that, i advocate the sporting alternative.

now if you love dana you might see everything as a partisan attack. likewise if you hate fitch.

but when your agenda is the legitimacy of the sport itself, then you cant go far wrong.
    All you have is a layman opinion, douchewad. Don't think for one second that it's anything beyond what it is. The sporting aspect is going off a cliff? STFU with your doom n' gloom vitriol.

OMG, the fairness of future fights is corrupt now that Jon Fitch has been cut. He got OUTFITCHED, you moron! Go bury your head under that pillow and cry about it, baby.
    Post edited by bluesy on
    edited February 2013
    bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

All you have is a layman opinion, douchewad. Don't think for one second that it's anything beyond what it is. The sporting aspect is going off a cliff? STFU with your doom n' gloom vitriol.

OMG, the fairness of future fights is corrupt now that Jon Fitch has been cut. He got OUTFITCHED, you moron! Go bury your head under that pillow and cry about it, baby.
    **** you talking to son? yes, i have an opinion and you dont know **** about me to be calling me anything, you act like promoters tell the truth and people whove been watching this sport since before dana even knew what it was, dont know anything about it. you act like people dont know what sport is or what contextually equates to its credibility. you act like ufc is your wwe and you are a little pissant on the inside of a balloon, telling everyone outside of that prism that ufc now gets to **** define what constitutes the word sport.

are you actually mentally ill? the whole **** world knows what sport is. especially people who have pedigree and experience behind a contextual understanding of it. the same rings true for mma and ufc. how long have you been involved or watching ? since lesnar? gimme a break little boy. youl be sourcing don king as an impartial authority on tyson next. if you even know who that is.

you need to learn to process that not everyone in this world agrees with you. nor are they here to validate your obvious lack of education and patenting. go take a theory of knowledge class, or better still go out in the real world and start insulting grown men that disagree with you.

you argue like a drunk ****. now ive been nice, but really youre a little face on my computer screen, talking **** to strangers and waffling about stuff he knows nothing about.

gtfo of my living room ****.
    Post edited by joeyp1 on
    People only have one argument. I kept hearing the same over and over again. The reality is, I am not sure people don't like seeing Fitch even if he is boring. Cause he is tough to beat. It was fun seeing Hendricks knock him out, nobody envisioned it, just like it was fun seeing Fitch beat Alves. There are many less charismatic warriors than Fitch in the roster. A lot. I say they made a personal decision, not a wise one. When I see the card presented... nobody will convince me than a Fitch fight in there would not make that card more fun for the fan. I mean, they have to watch Rousey... and Faber again. Put him on the prelims if you don't think he deserves to be on the main, it's still more fun than seeing some of the no-names that will fight.
    Antoine69 said:

People only have one argument. I kept hearing the same over and over again. The reality is, I am not sure people don't like seeing Fitch even if he is boring. Cause he is tough to beat. It was fun seeing Hendricks knock him out, nobody envisioned it, just like it was fun seeing Fitch beat Alves. There are many less charismatic warriors than Fitch in the roster. A lot. I say they made a personal decision, not a wise one. When I see the card presented... nobody will convince me than a Fitch fight in there would not make that card more fun for the fan. I mean, they have to watch Rousey... and Faber again. Put him on the prelims if you don't think he deserves to be on the main, it's still more fun than seeing some of the no-names that will fight.

99% of fans would rather watch a new "no namer" go out there and put it on the line than watch Fitch dry hump someone for 15 minutes, just because people have heard of him

Mangasm start a pole. I am sure you are wrong. Say in your poll, Fitch is not on the main card...
    joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

**** you talking to son? yes, i have an opinion and you dont know **** about me to be calling me anything, you act like promoters tell the truth and people whove been watching this sport since before dana even knew what it was, dont know anything about it. you act like people dont know what sport is or what contextually equates to its credibility. you act like ufc is your wwe and you are a little pissant on the inside of a balloon, telling everyone outside of that prism that ufc now gets to **** define what constitutes the word sport.

are you actually mentally ill? the whole **** world knows what sport is. especially people who have pedigree and experience behind a contextual understanding of it. the same rings true for mma and ufc. how long have you been involved or watching ? since lesnar? gimme a break little boy. youl be sourcing don king as an impartial authority on tyson next. if you even know who that is.

you need to learn to process that not everyone in this world agrees with you. nor are they here to validate your obvious lack of education and patenting. go take a theory of knowledge class, or better still go out in the real world and start insulting grown men that disagree with you.

you argue like a drunk ****. now ive been nice, but really youre a little face on my computer screen, talking **** to strangers and waffling about stuff he knows nothing about.

LMAO! I obviously hit a nerve here. Do you even know what you're arguing about, anymore? You used to have a point, but now you read like a highly emotional pissant who's struggling to organize a cohesive argument. You get all butthurt about me not knowing who you are, then you fire back by generalizing about who you think I am, trying to demonstrate how much more knowledgeable you are when you really have no **** idea what you're comparing yourself to, and doing nothing to display your own supposedly advanced knowledge of the sport. Typical poser, elitist douchewad with nothing substantial to buttress your thoughtless meanderings.

You're a **** crybaby with no life outside your hobbies. That's the only reason why you'd get all whiny and petulant about something like **** Fitch being cut and using that as an opportunity to call on dawn of MMA. Oh, no, it's not a sport anymore! No more fair fights! Because, what, you ****, Fitch getting cut?! A boring, non-athletic, non-fighter, who everyone **** HATES and you draw your apocalyptic assessment of MMA's future from HIS demise? You silly ****. I told you to go cry about it and you obviously did, so keep it up. At least you're good at taking orders like an obedient little dog.
    bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

bluesy said:

joeyp1 said:

LMAO! I obviously hit a nerve here. Do you even know what you're arguing about, anymore? You used to have a point, but now you read like a highly emotional pissant who's struggling to organize a cohesive argument. You get all butthurt about me not knowing who you are, then you fire back by generalizing about who you think I am, trying to demonstrate how much more knowledgeable you are when you really have no **** idea what you're comparing yourself to, and doing nothing to display your own supposedly advanced knowledge of the sport. Typical poser, elitist douchewad with nothing substantial to buttress your thoughtless meanderings.

You're a **** crybaby with no life outside your hobbies. That's the only reason why you'd get all whiny and petulant about something like **** Fitch being cut and using that as an opportunity to call on dawn of MMA. Oh, no, it's not a sport anymore! No more fair fights! Because, what, you ****, Fitch getting cut?! A boring, non-athletic, non-fighter, who everyone **** HATES and you draw your apocalyptic assessment of MMA's future from HIS demise? You silly ****. I told you to go cry about it and you obviously did, so keep it up. At least you're good at taking orders like an obedient little dog.
    u mad?

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    So basically you made all these outlandish points and had no evidence to back them up.

Try harder when you troll.
    UFC Community account: _Josh_