Machida open to catchweight bout before title shot

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited February 2013 in UFC
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (19-3) says he’s open to another fight before his promised title shot. Following last weekend's split decision win over Pride legend Dan Henderson (29-9), Machida is faced with a long wait for the winner of Jon Jones (17-1) and Chael Sonnen (27-12) on April 27. The Brazilian karateka told MMA Junkie he was thinking about taking another bout in the meantime, possibly at catchweight. Looking back on his UFC 157 clash with Henderson, Machida said Hendo was “feeling the strikes” in the third and would have been in trouble in a five-round fight.

“Let’s see what happens in (Jones vs Sonnen) and the timeline that they come up with and if nobody gets injured. A lot of things can happen, but depending on the timing, I could even do another fight at a catch weight or something else to not lose the rhythm … It’s not just about the belt for me. Of course, everyone wants to fight for the belt and I’d like to fight Jon Jones in a rematch, but I want to keep fighting. I want to keep challenging myself, so it’s really not just about one thing … (Five rounds) would have been a lot better for my style of fighting. If you look at the third round after we got back up, I was a lot more comfortable in the fight and I felt that I could strike a lot more. Henderson was feeling the strikes. So if I had the extra two rounds, it would have been a different story.”

From MMA Lives Here
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments