Who's #2 p4p fighter on the planet-explain

edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
Most people seem to agree Anderson Silva is the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world,but different magazines,websites ect. have different views on who's #2,and it would seem that everyone has different views on what the rankings should really be based on.win%,finishes ect. ect.,quality of opposition is a big one for me.Below I have givin some possible #2s.Some people might not have Silva 1st,and feel free to explain theories on that too. Thanks
Post edited by edh1 on

Who's #2 p4p fighter on the planet-explain

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    JON JONES
    Jones because he's a destroyer
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    JOSE ALDO
    #1 Silva

#2 Aldo

#10 GSP
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    JOSE ALDO
    I'd say Aldo over Jones.

Jones has a 15+ inch reach advantage over everyone he fights, and is a natural HW. So yes he's a beast, but he's always the bigger man by far, just like GSP
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    MIGHTY MOUSE
    MIGHTY MOUSE, end thread

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    JON JONES
    JBJ...thats a given ;)
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    OTHERS
    I tend to go against the grain and I think Silva is number 2...here's why

No matter how unbeatable a fighter seems, everyone eventually goes past their prime. In the last 2 years, Silva has beaten Bonnar (no comment), Okami (great fighter), and Chael (off of roids he's nothing incredible, and his biggest claim to fame is ALMOST beating silva on roids). Jones on the other hand has beaten a who's who of legends in the last 2 years. We all know the names so no need to repeat. I just feel that p4p refers to the CURRENT best fighter, not the fighter who had the best career, and I have a feeling that finally a fighter surpassed Silva and could beat him if they weighed the same. It's all a matter of opinion, but I believe that Silva at 38 is too old to be considered the CURRENT best fighter on the planet. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of crap cuz u could never say silva's not the best thing ever without getting a million people freaking out
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    JOSE ALDO
    It's close between Jones and Aldo

Jones has the better streak of top foes.....but Aldo has a win over a former champ in the divison higher and wins over former higher divison foes

So its a toss up between what matters to you...but my slight edge is given to Aldo but its very slight
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    OTHERS
    aldo/jones are tied right now
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    GSP
    WarWest said:

#1 Silva

#2 Aldo

#10 GSP

I KNEW YOU'D DO THAT WITH GSP LOL
    GSP

I'd say Aldo over Jones.

Jones has a 15+ inch reach advantage over everyone he fights, and is a natural HW. So yes he's a beast, but he's always the bigger man by far, just like GSP

GSP HAS NOWHERE NEAR THAT KIND OF REACH ADVANTAGE OVER ANYONE 6 INCH MAX ,BUT JONES USUALLY DOES HAVE BETWEEN 7-13 INCHES.MACHIDA AND RAMPAGE HAD 10 INCH REACH DISADVANTAGES,SHOGUN 8 INCH ,I Think Bader had like 11 inch .Reach isn't everything ,but that kind of reach is crazy.
  • MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,100Free
    JOSE ALDO
    edh1 said:

I'd say Aldo over Jones.

GSP HAS NOWHERE NEAR THAT KIND OF REACH ADVANTAGE OVER ANYONE 6 INCH MAX ,BUT JONES USUALLY DOES HAVE BETWEEN 7-13 INCHES.MACHIDA AND RAMPAGE HAD 10 INCH REACH DISADVANTAGES,SHOGUN 8 INCH ,I Think Bader had like 11 inch .Reach isn't everything ,but that kind of reach is crazy.
    Why didn't you write the whole text in caps?
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    edited March 2013
    JOSE ALDO
    aldo, he usually finishes his opponent and has defended his title plenty of times he isnt scared of moving up and fighting bendo neither.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,355Free
    JOSE ALDO
    Aldo he has beat most the contenders in his division, just beat the former LW champ, is fighting the next LW number 1 contender and then wants to challenge the current LW champ.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    JON JONES
    JJ
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 617Free
    JON JONES
    I say Jones, because he's been consistently the most dominant fighter against the most proven competition, in my opinion. The two worst moments of his reign so far were losing the first round against Machida, who was top ten P4P at the time, and the armbar from Vitor who is not too far outside the top ten right now (in my opinion). Aside from that, he has dominated impressively. My list right now would read:

1. Anderson Silva
    2. Jon Jones
    3. GSP
    4. Jose Aldo
    5. Benson Henderson
    6. Cain Velasquez
    7. Demetrious Johnson
    8. Dominick Cruz
    9. Renan Barao
    10. Anthony Pettis
  • KOTMFKOTMF Posts: 348Free
    GSP
    I'd say GSP, he continues to clean the division and until he loses, I think he's #2. I need to see more from Jones to really make a case for him. Yes, Jones may be considered up there, so I may have him over GSP in time. Silva is a tough guy and I consider him being P4P number 1 because noone really dominates him in fights and that 1st Chael fight was crap, I don't believe Silva was really himself in that fight. If they all weighed the same and had the same physical attributes, who knows who would be #1. We'll never truly find out because it's impossible.
    GSP
    MilesGun said:

edh1 said:

I'd say Aldo over Jones.

Why didn't you write the whole text in caps?
    always a critic
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,240Free
    Nick Diaz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Striker_KidStriker_Kid Posts: 2,101Registered Users
    GSP
    I accidently clicked GSP but I meant to pick Aldo.
    Anderson "The Spider" Silva
    UFC Middleweight Champion
    Greatest Of All Time
    P4P MMA King
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    JON JONES
    Jones will pass Silva this year.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    OTHERS

Jones because he's a destroyer

...of smaller fighters.

1. Silva
    2. GSP / Aldo
    4. Pettis / Edgar
    6. Machida / Johnson

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    edited March 2013
    A.Silva isn't number 1 in my books.
    Who is a better wrestler GSP or Jones or Silva?
    Not even close .Silva is a VERY distant 3rd among just these guys and far behind MMA in general.

Silva is very good in most aspects,but Wrestling is far too important to be slack at.Jones is the most complete fighter in the UFC,therefore Jones is the number 1 and by FAR best fighter in the UFC.

Then the next question i ask is how well can these guys survive versus their weakness?
    Ok Silva's is obviously wrestling,he did poorly versus the ONLY UFC guy to actually wrestle him.The rematch it never got tested because for some reason Sonnen left his brain at the gate.

Jones weakness??Does he even have one,see the point?
    GSPHis is obviously striking,he doesn't have that 6'2 frame or the long reach nor even the massive KO power.Can he avoid it or handle it?Most certainly he can as long as he keeps his wits and remember to just take the guy down,where strikes are removed.

Last point is intangibles and they do matter because they play in to every aspect of the fight game.Athleticism,cardio,speed,quickness,versatility and smarts.

No question GSP wins hands down with cardio and Jones is not in the speed race but overall i feel Jones and Silva are in a basic tie here.Jones edges out because he is so well rounded he has the choice to keep it standing or take it to the ground,GSP somewhat has that choice but Silva definitely NEVER wants it on the ground.once again it is extremely obvious that Jones is the overall best fighter...period.

The battle of number 2 depends on who has their brain in gear on THAT NIGHT,between GSP and Silva.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    GSP
    ^^Silva beat Hendo and Sonnen twice, two olympic calibre wrestlers. And Maia, a world champion BJJ fighter who tapped out heavyweights in doing so. You fail so hard
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    edited March 2013
    OTHERS
    zaksame said:

Silva is very good in most aspects,but Wrestling is far too important to be slack at.Jones is the most complete fighter in the UFC,therefore Jones is the number 1 and by FAR best fighter in the UFC.

Jones is not the most complete fighter. He is not complete AT ALL in the first place. LOL.
    zaksame said:

Jones weakness?? Does he even have one, see the point?

Striking - he has NONE to speak of.
    All he does is extend his gigantic reach into his opponents face, which is gold when it comes to defence, but as far as offence is concerned he has nothing going for him. He isn't a KO artist, well he has no KOs at all. He doesn't even have a jab, even though he should be able to jab people to death like GSP did against Koscheck in every single fight.

He only wins fights after he takes them to the ground or clinch, where his physical advantage is overwhelming and he is able to handle his opponent bodies the way he likes and get a submission. 4 out of his last 6 wins came via submission. Before that there were the 3 "elbowing" fights.

Get real dude, Jones got outstruck by the undersized Machida, whom he had a 11 inch reach advantage over!!

All success he ever achieves in the standup (punches or kicks) is only due to his limbs incredible length where his opponents don't anticipate getting punched/kicked from so far away. But what he lands never comes close to finishing anybody. He's a poor striker he doesn't KO anyone. Look at his fights, look at his record. His mediocre striking is only good for bullying his opponents into the fence so he can get into the clinch.
    zaksame said:

GSP His is obviously striking, he doesn't have that 6'2 frame or the long reach nor even the massive KO power.

GSP doesn't have the long reach?
    Listen n00b, check your facts before commenting, k?

GSP has the largest reach of the WW division. His reach is larger than that of most MW and LHWs and even some HWs:

JDS - 77"
    Gustaffson - 76.5"
    GSP - 76"
    Gonzaga - 76"
    Barry - 74.5"
    Nelson - 74"
    Machida - 74"
    Rampage - 73"
    Hendo - 71"
    Hendricks - 69"
    zaksame said:

Can he avoid it or handle it? Most certainly he can as long as he keeps his wits and remember to just take the guy down, where strikes are removed.

This is even more accurate for Jones than it is for GSP.
    GSP at least outstruck and hurt Kos in the standup. And we know Jones finishes fights only if he takes them to the ground, right.
    Post edited by najma on
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    GSP
    systematic dismantling, fantastic work right there
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    JOSE ALDO
    LoL

Zaksame actually got a bite
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,139Free
    JON JONES
    zaksame said:

A.Silva isn't number 1 in my books.
    Who is a better wrestler GSP or Jones or Silva?
    Not even close .Silva is a VERY distant 3rd among just these guys and far behind MMA in general.

Then the next question i ask is how well can these guys survive versus their weakness?
    Ok Silva's is obviously wrestling,he did poorly versus the ONLY UFC guy to actually wrestle him.The rematch it never got tested because for some reason Sonnen left his brain at the gate.

Jones weakness??Does he even have one,see the point?
    GSPHis is obviously striking,he doesn't have that 6'2 frame or the long reach nor even the massive KO power.Can he avoid it or handle it?Most certainly he can as long as he keeps his wits and remember to just take the guy down,where strikes are removed.

Last point is intangibles and they do matter because they play in to every aspect of the fight game.Athleticism,cardio,speed,quickness,versatility and smarts.

No question GSP wins hands down with cardio and Jones is not in the speed race but overall i feel Jones and Silva are in a basic tie here.Jones edges out because he is so well rounded he has the choice to keep it standing or take it to the ground,GSP somewhat has that choice but Silva definitely NEVER wants it on the ground.once again it is extremely obvious that Jones is the overall best fighter...period.

The battle of number 2 depends on who has their brain in gear on THAT NIGHT,between GSP and Silva.

didn't read... disagreed anyways
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,139Free
    JON JONES
    i voted jones. Us criminals gotta stick together.
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1