Was so happy to see Wanderlei win!

NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
Congrats to him! Always good to see a Legend get a win, especially over such a great fighter like Brian Stann. Anyone doubting Wanderlei now?

Tagged:

Comments

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,070Free
    idk if anybody was doubting wand. Just this match up. Reminded me of Ortiz/Bader. Bad stylistic match up but so happy Wand gets to keep fighting. \:D/
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1

As much as I love to watch wanderlei, he should retire on a win.

want to see more fights like last night but i just don't see him going out on a better win so i kind of agree with this ^^^
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1

vitor/wandy 2 would be fun tho

• najmanajma Posts: 2,021Free
    Why would people wanna stop doubting him after a fight in which he didn't look good at all?
    He was rocked way too many times. 7 out of 10 times Stann finishes him.

This fight actually made me doubt him even more. Because even his new more restrained and hesitant style didn't save him from getting rocked gazillion of times in the fight.
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,041Premium
    najma said:

Why would people wanna stop doubting him after a fight in which he didn't look good at all?

This fight actually made me doubt him even more. Because even his new more restrained and hesitant style didn't save him from getting rocked gazillion of times in the fight.

That's not a new style, that's how he fights against guys who's power he respects. (Besides leben and look what happened)
    All the way back to the Mark Hunt fight and probably earlier, he circles away from the power and unleashes whenever guys get close.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
    why wouldn't u want to see a rematch nigma. Just curious.

• najmanajma Posts: 2,021Free

najma said:

That's not a new style, that's how he fights against guys who's power he respects. (Besides leben and look what happened)
    All the way back to the Mark Hunt fight and probably earlier, he circles away from the power and unleashes whenever guys get close.
    Whatever you call it - his defence sucks as he gets punched in the face a lot.
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    I don't see how anyone can doubt him :/ honestly confused.
    edited March 2013

Wanderlei moved back up to 205lbs and put the weight on accordingly. He was always a 205lber and performs at his peak there, but the division has much larger fighters then him. Brian Stann did not move back to 205lbs, he stayed at his usual weight and simply didn't cut any weight for this fight. Wanderlei Silva fought a smaller fighter tonight. Brian Stann's weakness is his grappling, and a few times when Wanderlei was in trouble he was able to hold onto Brian and use his lack of skill there as a safety net to recover. This happened a few times, but to Wanderlei's credit there were also several times where he took a lot of shots that I was surprised he was able to, (I think everyone was) and kept coming back for more.

This does not indicate to me that Wanderlei has evolved in any way whatsoever. He's still the same crazy gunslinger. I have no doubt that he could win a few more fights with the right matchmaking, but i do doubt he's going to go on a big tear now and make a run just because he won a shootout with Brian Stann. Realistically, all his fights are a coin flip and the bias of that coin is only going to work against him as he moves into the twilight of his career.
    Post edited by the_enigma on

imageimage

Wanderlei moved back up to 205lbs and put the weight on accordingly. He was always a 205lber and performs at his peak there, but the division has much larger fighters then him. Brian Stann did not move back to 205lbs, he stayed at his usual weight and simply didn't cut any weight for this fight. Wanderlei Silva fought a smaller fighter tonight. Brian Stann's weakness is his grappling, and a few times when Wanderlei was in trouble he was able to hold onto Brian and use his lack of skill there as a safety net to recover. This happened a few times, but to Wanderlei's credit there were also several times where he took a lot of shots that I was surprised he was able to, (I think everyone was) and kept coming back for more.

This does not indicate to me that Wanderlei has evolved in any way whatsoever. He's still the same crazy gunslinger. I have no doubt that he could win a few more fights with the right matchmaking, but i do doubt he's going to go on a big tear now and make a run just because he won a shootout with Brian Stann. Realistically, all his fights are a coin flip and the bias of that coin is only going to work against him as he moves into the twilight of his career.
    What I mean is, there are people who say he's overrated and was never really that good. To me, Wanderlei is a warrior (the true meaning of the word) and he comes to fight because he loves the fans and putting on a show. Honestly he's one of the fighters that makes me stay a fan of the sport, if it wasn't for guys like him I don't know if I would've been brought over from boxing. I would never count him out against anyone, he's still got amazing power.
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    I am torn. I want Wanderlei to finish the sport on top, but I want to continue seeing fights like that. Maybe he can string together two more wins and then retire.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

If he has to continue to fight, I'd like him to fight Sonnen at 205, and then Shogun in a retirement fight for both fighters. (I know they're teammates but I don't care lol, who better to retire you then your teammate?)

What I mean is, there are people who say he's overrated and was never really that good.

I wouldn't worry so much about what those people have to say. I agree with the rest of your post.

imageimage
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free

If he has to continue to fight, I'd like him to fight Sonnen at 205, and then Shogun in a retirement fight for both fighters. (I know they're teammates but I don't care lol, who better to retire you then your teammate?)

Good call. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Belfort either.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

_TUF1_ said:

why wouldn't u want to see a rematch nigma. Just curious.

I think Vitor's a bad matchup for him, however long the fight would last, it would be intense, but Wandy's health is not worth it for me. I don't like that fight.

imageimage
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,337Free
    It was great to see him win! I completely agree if you look at before this fight lots of people were saying on here that he had a glass jaw, then he takes Stanns best shots who is a power puncher and recovered everytime people could not see past the Rampage and Leben fights.. imo Rampage just caught him with a great counter that would sleep almost anyone and he fought Leben completely wrong and did'nt show him enough respect not saying Wanderlei's chin is as solid as in his prime but he was definitely doubted and proved many wrong. Wand will likely get Sonnen next after he loses to Jones I bet they can't wait to.make that fight.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,966Free
    Wandy by PRIDE.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,925Free
    Let Brad Tavares knock him out.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,655Free
    Hell yeah

That was some good stuff
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free

As much as I love to watch wanderlei, he should retire on a win.

this
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    awesome fight, awesome finish, awesome fighters
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    axe murderer FTW!!!!!

Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    props to stann as well though he didnt back down for a second
    "Believe in the beard"

PunchBag said:

props to stann as well though he didnt back down for a second

Became an even bigger fan of Stann after that fight. Can't believe wand didn't go out from some of those shots

edited March 2013
    yea i did not expect wandy to ko stann, stann walked thorugh msot of wandys shots. but that last combo by wandy was brutal and so was the gnp
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

What I mean is, there are people who say he's overrated and was never really that good.

I wouldn't worry so much about what those people have to say. I agree with the rest of your post.

Well thank you.
  • TinychatBtarrdzTinychatBtarrdz Posts: 451Free
    He should retire. Stann is terrible but might as well go out on a high note.
    text
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    WAR Wandy!!! I don't know why everyone keeps counting him out. Look at his last 5 fights: Decision win over a top 5 MW in Bisping, KO loss to Leben, TKO win over Cung Le, lost a 5 round war to Franklin, and a KO win over Brian Stann. People say his chin is gone, but he only has one KO loss in his last 5 fights. Say what you will about Leben, but the guy hits like a truck. No shame in getting knocked out by that guy. He was dropped a few times in his other fights, but he recovers quickly and comes back swinging for the fences. He has only been KO'd by prime Belfort, prime Cro Cop, prime Hendo, Rampage, and Chris Leben. Those guys can KO pretty much anyone on the planet. The Axe Murderer can still hold his own against anyone in the UFC. I'd love to see him fight Hendo again. Belfort would be fun too, since it was supposed to happen after TUF Brazil and didn't. Maybe Lil Nog or even Rampage if he ever fights in the UFC again. WAR Wandy!!!
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    agree
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • BirdhoundBirdhound Posts: 301Free

What I mean is, there are people who say he's overrated and was never really that good. To me, Wanderlei is a warrior (the true meaning of the word) and he comes to fight because he loves the fans and putting on a show. Honestly he's one of the fighters that makes me stay a fan of the sport, if it wasn't for guys like him I don't know if I would've been brought over from boxing. I would never count him out against anyone, he's still got amazing power.
    ^This. Wand is an all time lord (not like Dr Who), great to see him win fighting the way he loves to fight. Props to Stann too, I'm all for fighting smart, but an all out old school toe to toe brawl now and then is what the UFC needs IMO. These guys made my night tbh, and fair enough its probably not on the cards for either of them to win a title, but if they can put on a show like that then who cares?