Why hate on GSP? He's beaten some of the GOAT in the entire sport?

BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 814Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
Hey boys n girls. Beanslegend here with another edition of the Beans guy of things.

Today were talking about one of the P4P GOAT in the sport, his name, George "Rush" St Pierre...
I know this man has alot of critics for not finishing his last couple fights, or using a style to win his fights, however, I would like to remind everyone WW division is the 2nd best division in MMA behind LW, with some arguing it's the best.
I would also like to remind everyone we are talking about a sport called Mixed Martial Arts, not Boxing, Not Kickboxing, not Muay Thai, or Jiu Jitsu. It is MMA friends.

On that note lets look at GSP's last couple fights.
Condit... A man who beat Nick Diaz, the former WEC champ on a massive win streak, who's knocked out the best and beaten the best, from WEC, to the UFC and back. Condit is nothing short of one of the GOAT at WW, on a 3 fight KO streak, had over a year to train for GSP exclusively while GSP didn't train, and we all know what happened. He had GSP hurt, in his world, and he honourably lost, to the man they know as Rush, even backing him up on the feet, which folks seem to forget GSP's standup is nothing short of incredible.

Before that is was 15 fight win streak Jake Shields. A man who destroyed Dan Henderson, yes Dan Henderson. Beat Condit, Okami, and how many other greats, destroying them with a sense of wonder of how... George, with an eye injury half way through the fight, won this fight, almost KTFO out of a guy who's never been stopped, and we all know that George neutralized and beat him handily.

Before that the list goes on.
My point is boys and girls, why hate on the French Canadian? Because he was bullied when he was a kid? Because he's French? Because he's Canadian? Or a mixture of all things?
One thing to remember guys is a champion "defends" his belt, he doesn't "offend" his belt, therefore does not have to proceed in an aggressive offensive manner. Albeit GSP still is the aggressor in every fight. It's really not his fault that the fighters he fights can't stop a takedown in which they know GSP has great one's.

Hence, GSP and the great fighters he fought show the greatness of the WW division and of him. I love Hughes, Condit, Shields, all these great guys, however when were comparing, there's no doubt GSP is on the podium, in the middle, with the gold.

Stop hating guys, it's MMA not boxing =) That wraps it up for another edition of the beans guy of things. Enjoy the fights in two weeks, and on that note the Japanese fights were just ausome =) I love that Silva win
Post edited by Beanslegend on
Tagged:

Comments

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    edited March 2013
    when youre that good, youre that good. every striker knows that when they fight gsp he's gonna try to take them down. so of course they train as hard as possible to defend against it to stop it from happening....but they still cant stop it from happening. thats being on a whole different level.

you cant have me take you serious if you tell me that going into the fight, condit didnt work on his takedown defense and never saw the takedown coming. but look what happened round after round. you cant tell me the other week that carmouche never even considered working on defending armbars. you cant tell me that you would be surprised at all if wandy vs a brawler turns out to be a slugfest where somebody ends up getting knocked out. when people get that good at something its natural to them and its plenty of fun watching them go out there and impose their will against their opponent and make them look like amateurs.

to me watching that knowing what is about to transpire and watching it happen because the athlete is just that gifted is just as exciting as the polar opposite of this - the total shockers that you never expect to happen, like when jon fitch got completely ragdolled and outfitched by jiujitsu guy, overeem passing a drug test with lower than normal testosterone levels, diaz showing up for a press conference, and mark hunt trying to armbar ben rothwell after being armbarred in his two previous fights, and of his 6 losses all in a row, 5 of them were all from submissions, but here he is the other night eagerly jumping into a jiujitsu guys guard while kenny florian and jon annik were basically calling him a stupid idiot while he was doing it.
    Post edited by idrankyourbeer on
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • Bobo_VieriBobo_Vieri Posts: 614Free
    I agree.. I actually enjoy GSP's fights, he's all class. Also his fighting style will ensure him a healthy retirement, he doesn't take much damage at all.
    ??apparently the the only way to kill a lion is by rear naked choke?personally i?d just kick it in the head.?? ? Bas Rutten
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,333Free

I agree.. I actually enjoy GSP's fights, he's all class. Also his fighting style will ensure him a healthy retirement, he doesn't take much damage at all.

Doesn't give much damage either.

• megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited March 2013

Have you seen GSP's last two fights?

There's not even a picture of him after the Shields fight, beacuse he went straight to the hospital, lool...

Silva on the other hand...

anderson-silva.jpg
    800 x 564 - 228K
    Post edited by megaman on

• NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free

Hey boys n girls. Beanslegend here with another edition of the Beans guy of things.

Today were talking about one of the P4P GOAT in the sport, his name, George "Rush" St Pierre...

Stopped reading right there. Anderson Silva says, "No."
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    edited March 2013

Looks like you need to keep reading because he said one of the p4p greats not the p4p greats.
    Post edited by Gabri1985 on

Looks like you need to keep reading because he said one of the p4p greats not the p4p greats.
    Still say no mostly, I can't stand Georges 'Whats the Rush?' St. Pierre. And Until he fights outside of WW, no. Superfight Anderson, that was what the comment was referring to.
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,811Moderator, Ultimate
    _TUF1_ said:

condits face would have to disagree with you
    imageimage
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,089Premium

_TUF1_ said:

condits face would have to disagree with you
    GSP only gave Koscheck permanent nerve damage leaving him with a constant numb sensation on the right side of his face.

I'd rather get front kicked by anderson silva then live with that until I die...
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free
    edited March 2013
    You make it out as it is fact that the WW division is the second best or best division in the UFC. Many of this forum would argue that the WW division is third, fourth, or even fifth in divisional rankings. You further argue that the hate against GSP is based on his nationality, the fact that he was bullied,or the fact that he uses wrestling during his fights. You have been on the forum for some time, which shows that you have not listened to any of the negativity that has been directed towards GSP because there is some real reasons as to why people take issue with him:

1. He uses his wrestling to stall during the fight. No one criticised Matt Hughes for using wrestling. Its because he used it to finish his opponent, not stall.

2. He is pretty fake. He acts like this humble gentleman but then greases during the biggest fight of his career. He currently attempts to deceive the UFC fanbase by making out that he believes that Diaz is the number one contender, despite official rankings that say otherwise. The fact is that he thinks Diaz will be an easier fight. This leaves the true number one contender sitting on the side lines begging for a title shot.
    Post edited by waikru on
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,436Free
    I stopped reading when he said the beans guy of things 8-}

outside the cage I don't hate GSP however he is boring inside the cage (Condit fight was the exception) I actually was cheering for him against Kos, Fitch and Shields coz they are boring fighters too but if he is fighting someone who actually comes to fight I will always cheer for them for sure.

Also I love how you defend him saying he has fought guys really tough to finish and conveniently leave out Hardy and Alves who have been finished plenty of times.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,848Free

I know this man has alot of critics for not finishing his last couple fights, or using a style to win his fights, however, I would like to remind everyone WW division is the 2nd best division in MMA behind LW, with some arguing it's the best.
    I would also like to remind everyone we are talking about a sport called Mixed Martial Arts, not Boxing, Not Kickboxing, not Muay Thai, or Jiu Jitsu. It is MMA friends.

On that note lets look at GSP's last couple fights.
    Condit... A man who beat Nick Diaz, the former WEC champ on a massive win streak, who's knocked out the best and beaten the best, from WEC, to the UFC and back. Condit is nothing short of one of the GOAT at WW, on a 3 fight KO streak, had over a year to train for GSP exclusively while GSP didn't train, and we all know what happened. He had GSP hurt, in his world, and he honourably lost, to the man they know as Rush, even backing him up on the feet, which folks seem to forget GSP's standup is nothing short of incredible.

Before that is was 15 fight win streak Jake Shields. A man who destroyed Dan Henderson, yes Dan Henderson. Beat Condit, Okami, and how many other greats, destroying them with a sense of wonder of how... George, with an eye injury half way through the fight, won this fight, almost KTFO out of a guy who's never been stopped, and we all know that George neutralized and beat him handily.

Before that the list goes on.
    My point is boys and girls, why hate on the French Canadian? Because he was bullied when he was a kid? Because he's French? Because he's Canadian? Or a mixture of all things?
    One thing to remember guys is a champion "defends" his belt, he doesn't "offend" his belt, therefore does not have to proceed in an aggressive offensive manner. Albeit GSP still is the aggressor in every fight. It's really not his fault that the fighters he fights can't stop a takedown in which they know GSP has great one's.

Hence, GSP and the great fighters he fought show the greatness of the WW division and of him. I love Hughes, Condit, Shields, all these great guys, however when were comparing, there's no doubt GSP is on the podium, in the middle, with the gold.

Stop hating guys, it's MMA not boxing =) That wraps it up for another edition of the beans guy of things. Enjoy the fights in two weeks, and on that note the Japanese fights were just ausome =) I love that Silva win

The only fighters near "GOAT" status that he beat were Hughes and Penn. GSP is a great fighter, but the reason he isn't liked more is simply because he's boring.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • ChickletsChicklets Posts: 168Free
    I agree with everything but the P4P GOAT, which is clearly Anderson Silva.
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds...( sig expires march 17/2014)
    The only way i see gsp as boring is because his opponents cant do anything to him. I cpul
    ould name 10 current fighters that are more boring then gsp
    imageimage

The only way i see gsp as boring is because his opponents cant do anything to him. I cpul

Yes, but theres hundreds of fighters in the UFC. Lets say GSP is the eighteenth most boring fighter, thats still pretty bad. GSP's performance has been so bad as of late, a French Canadian at the prefight conference asked him if he was going to do actually fight or do just the bare minimum to get by in his next fight.

"Believe in the beard"

megaman said:

Have you seen GSP's last two fights?

There's not even a picture of him after the Shields fight, beacuse he went straight to the hospital, lool...

Silva on the other hand...

Its different, yeah he gets cuts or a broken nose but he doesn't get concussions. Thats what really matters, and his defence is really good.
    ??apparently the the only way to kill a lion is by rear naked choke?personally i?d just kick it in the head.?? ? Bas Rutten
    _TUF1_ said:

He gives more than he takes..

_TUF1_ said:

He gives more than he takes..
    What are we talking about here? ;)

"Believe in the beard"

• shark26shark26 Posts: 109Free
    GSP isnt boring ... hes one of the most interesting to watch ... if you like MMA ....

if you like 2 guys just wACKIN away at eachother then go watch some street fighting ....

like say the Silva vs Stann fight .... from a fighters point of view , thats a stupid fight , there just throwing bombs , not much skill as whoever lands one time wins .... however for the crowd it looks way more entertaining ... but id much more like to see the skill then just crazy time.

and just so people know ... there is No P4P ... doesnt exist ... these ppl saying Silva is P4P better then GSP .... what are you even talking about.
    OMG Sharks

Fighters i Like to watch : JDS | Cain | R. Mcdonald | Aldo | Edgar | Rampage | A Silva | E Silva | BJ Penn | Mir |
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    lol at the gsp threads always coming up
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    waikru said:

Yes, but theres hundreds of fighters in the UFC. Lets say GSP is the eighteenth most boring fighter, thats still pretty bad. GSP's performance has been so bad as of late, a French Canadian at the prefight conference asked him if he was going to do actually fight or do just the bare minimum to get by in his next fight.
    Well shoot, if a fellow French Canadian said it, then it's pretty conclusive. I know that an American would never say a bad thing about another American and Brazilians never ever have disputes within their own communities. You have put forth a clever example that should stand the test of time.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

edited March 2013
    shark26 said:

GSP isnt boring ... hes one of the most interesting to watch ... if you like MMA ....

if you like 2 guys just wACKIN away at eachother then go watch some street fighting ....

like say the Silva vs Stann fight .... from a fighters point of view , thats a stupid fight , there just throwing bombs , not much skill as whoever lands one time wins .... however for the crowd it looks way more entertaining ... but id much more like to see the skill then just crazy time.

and just so people know ... there is No P4P ... doesnt exist ... these ppl saying Silva is P4P better then GSP .... what are you even talking about.

Actually, it is the stalling that makes his haters angry, which oddly enough leads to boring fights. Every GSP fan on this forum likes to make it out like people are saying that GSP is boring because he wrestles. However, no one says that Velasquez, Bendo, or Hughes is boring despite wrestling being their main arsenal. Its because these guys don't stall excessively. You will never understand another's position unless you consider the criticism.
    Post edited by waikru on

"Believe in the beard"

Megasoup said:

waikru said:

Well shoot, if a fellow French Canadian said it, then it's pretty conclusive. I know that an American would never say a bad thing about another American and Brazilians never ever have disputes within their own communities. You have put forth a clever example that should stand the test of time.
    Somebody is gotten to. I wasn't concluding anything. The point of the example is that nobody was offering criticism before winning the title the second time around. However, GSP is now being criticised even by some of his fellow French Canadians for his performances. This French Canadian was probably not attacking him due to his nationality as the OP asserts, since they share the same nationality. The criticim isn't coming from the fact that he wrestles because Hughes, Velasquez, and Bendo don't recieve the same criticism. I also doubt the criticism is coming from the fact that he was bullied. Therefore, you must conclude that this criticism is coming from something else.

"Believe in the beard"

waikru said:

Megasoup said:

waikru said:

Somebody is gotten to. I wasn't concluding anything. The point of the example is that nobody was offering criticism before winning the title the second time around. However, GSP is now being criticised even by some of his fellow French Canadians for his performances. This French Canadian was probably not attacking him due to his nationality as the OP asserts, since they share the same nationality. The criticim isn't coming from the fact that he wrestles because Hughes, Velasquez, and Bendo don't recieve the same criticism. I also doubt the criticism is coming from the fact that he was bullied. Therefore, you must conclude that this criticism is coming from something else.
    I was just being silly, dude. You have to give me credit, though; it's a huge breach to criticize someone of the same nationality. It proves nothing.

Megasoup said:

waikru said:

Megasoup said:

waikru said:

I was just being silly, dude. You have to give me credit, though; it's a huge breach to criticize someone of the same nationality. It proves nothing.

only idiots follow by nationality
    imageimage
    Megasoup said:

waikru said:

Megasoup said:

waikru said:

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. I was only asserting that the hate he garners is not based on the criteria set forth by the OP. One of these criteria was nationality. Since a Canadian made the statement, we can rule out nationality as the basis for his hate.

"Believe in the beard"

edited March 2013
    Oops!
    Post edited by Megasoup on

moving this to the other thread. No need for a second thread on the exact same subject
    imageimage
    Megasoup said:

Obviously, I'm referring to GSP. Here's my position:

If I saw a similar fight between two unknowns making their UFC debut (and I'm talking about GSP at his worst,) then I would probably consider it one of the more humdrum affairs of the evening. But since it's a titled fight, the implications are much bigger. A title is on the line!

Here's what I mean; if I was watching paint dry for no reason but to simply note that it is no longer wet, it would not hold my attention for very long. But if I was watching paint dry because I knew that when it ceased to be a drippy hazard, that Arianny Celeste was going to sleep with me, I wouldn't blink. The job would be a lot more interesting.

It's a titled fight, apparently not unlike anticipated sex (there IS an excessive amount of "ground n pound.") Keep this in mind.

LOL!

"Believe in the beard"

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    waikru said:

Lmfao !!!! ^^^

That is so bad!
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine