New signing Soa Palelei talks return to UFC

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Perth mixed martial artist Soa “The Hulk” Palelei (18-3) will clash with highly-touted prospect Stipe Miocic (9-1) in his UFC return on June 15.
Palelei, 35, announced yesterday he had signed a new, four-fight contract with the UFC – the sport's leading promotion.
He faces a stiff test in the Croatian-American Miocic, 30, a former NCAA Division 1 wrestler and Golden Gloves boxing champion, who suffered his first defeat against Stefan Struve (25-6) in September last year.
Palelei and Miocic will go toe-to-toe in Winnipeg, Canada, at UFC 161.
The West Australian has fought in the UFC once before, but was released after an uninspiring defeat on debut in 2007.
“After that fight, I took a big break. I just sat on the couch eating potato crisps and ice creams - it was depressing,” Palelei said.
“It was one of those fights. It was just a nightmare; nothing went right.”
Since then, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and former Australian freestyle wrestling champion has compiled a 10-1 record, with his sole loss coming at the hands of rising star Daniel Cormier (11-0) in 2010.
“I knew I needed to get back into the UFC and showcase my skills. The last thing I wanted to do was turn 50 and regret not giving it one more try,” he said.
Read full article here

Source The West Australian - http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/16299322/hulk-to-face-ex-wrestler-on-ufc-return/
Tagged: