Anderson Silva v. Chris Weidman set for UFC 162 on July 4th weekend

GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free

"@arielhelwani: Confirming @LaMonicaMark's report: L. Fertitta has informed Chris Weidman that he will fight Anderson Silva for the 185-pound belt on 7/6."
Believe in Beard

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    Nice!

War Weidman!
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free

In the likeliness of Anderson destroying Mideman, I hope all the bandwagoneers who praise Wideman dont turn and say he wasnt a legit threat in the first place.

I'm not like that lol.

Either of them can win they're both beasts
    Weidman has the balls to step into the octagon with Silva after only 9 professional fights. That is confidence right there and I give the man some hespect.

Very likely he loses though. This doesn't mean count Weidman out for stepping up. Hell he's been calling Anderson out forever.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    PATSTER said:

If Weidman wins, the superfights will be ruined.

because every superfight involves Anderson Silva
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.

PATSTER said:

If Weidman wins, the superfights will be ruined.

because every superfight involves Anderson Silva
    Pretty much. Anderson seems like the only guy willing to take a super fight as well.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,413Free
    Anderson will knock him out I don't see it going past the 3rd at most tbh.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,363Free
    Hope Weidmann doesn't come out and perform like he did against Maia... he may just die
    The GOAT Rain_Wizard slapped the taste out of my mouth.

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
  • JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,363Free
    so what happens to Silva IF Weidman wins?
    The GOAT Rain_Wizard slapped the taste out of my mouth.

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,760Free

In the likeliness of Anderson destroying wideman, I hope all the bandwagoneers who praise Wideman dont turn and say he wasnt a legit threat in the first place.

You already know that will happen

This place is notorious for that ****

The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine

he is the GOAT until someone else goes 16-0 in the UFC.
    FEB. 2010

Silva will get an immediate rematch or he will continue to seek out the GSP or Bones fight.

The forum will explode if Silva loses to Weidman. Weidman gets a lot of hate around here.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

he is the GOAT until someone else goes 16-0 in the UFC.
    This...Anderson solidified himself enough as a fighter that one loss isn't going to do much to his legacy. He will still hold all sort of records. Everyone loses eventually tho and Anderson is human like all of us so this one def is a legit threat. I think Silva is the favorite, but Weidman is legit as they come and the perfect style to beat Anderson
    To be honest, I just like watching Anderson fight at this point. I really don't care who he fights, I am just happy I get to finally see a REAL silva fight again (the bonnar one was a joke that just catered to the people who thought Bonnar had a chance when really he never did)
    Sisti said:

To be honest, I just like watching Anderson fight at this point. I really don't care who he fights, I am just happy I get to finally see a REAL silva fight again (the bonnar one was a joke that just catered to the people who thought Bonnar had a chance when really he never did)

Anderson makes legit fighters look like a joke. Has anyone ever beat Bonnar like Silva did? Nope.

When Silva fights an opponent who is obviously not on his level, it shows. He embarrasses them, dominates, and usually finishes them with spectacular skill.

When another top fighter (GSP, Jones etc.) fights their opponent who may not be as skilled, sure they win or finish. But they dont do it with the skill and style Anderson does.

The point is: Even when Anderson fights the Bonnars, the James Irvins, the Maias, he absolutely demolishes them - far beyond 'soundly beating' them, as your ordinary fighter would.
    FEB. 2010
  • BigMike74BigMike74 Posts: 99Free
    My thoughts: Weidman has more of a shot than anyone else at 185. He has better striking than Sonnen, but he's not good enough to even consider standing with Anderson, no one is. However, I think Weidman's wrestling is as good, if not better than Sonnen's. I don't think Anderson will stop Weidman's takedowns, and I don't see Weidman getting subbed. I think if Weidman is on top, he has more of a chance to finish this fight than Anderson. I think Weidman is the guy to finally dethrone Anderson.

Sisti said:

Anderson makes legit fighters look like a joke. Has anyone ever beat Bonnar like Silva did? Nope.

When Silva fights an opponent who is obviously not on his level, it shows. He embarrasses them, dominates, and usually finishes them with spectacular skill.

When another top fighter (GSP, Jones etc.) fights their opponent who may not be as skilled, sure they win or finish. But they dont do it with the skill and style Anderson does.

The point is: Even when Anderson fights the Bonnars, the James Irvins, the Maias, he absolutely demolishes them - far beyond 'soundly beating' them, as your ordinary fighter would.
    Not true...Jones looked the same way when he was younger and fighting his way to the top. He made Matt Hammill look like a complete joke and even completely obliterated Shogun who is of a much much higher level than Bonnar. All the champs would completely embarass a fighter who is ranked at around number 20...there is a significant gap between the number 20 guy and the number 1 guy and that's why they don't make matches like that.

The one gripe people have about Silva is a legit one and that is that he looks so spectacular against people who have no business being in there with them. We forget just how good champs are because we see them fight one of the top 3 contenders in the world, but trust me if you saw Cain vs. a number 20 guy or Aldo vs. a number 20 guy it would look exactly like Silva/Bonnar

The champs are the champs for a reason. Silva's always been significantly better than the rest of the MW division and I have a feeling that it's not going to be any different than Weidman, but it's going to be a different fight than the bonnar one
    Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not true...Jones looked the same way when he was younger and fighting his way to the top. He made Matt Hammill look like a complete joke and even completely obliterated Shogun who is of a much much higher level than Bonnar. All the champs would completely embarass a fighter who is ranked at around number 20...there is a significant gap between the number 20 guy and the number 1 guy and that's why they don't make matches like that.

The one gripe people have about Silva is a legit one and that is that he looks so spectacular against people who have no business being in there with them. We forget just how good champs are because we see them fight one of the top 3 contenders in the world, but trust me if you saw Cain vs. a number 20 guy or Aldo vs. a number 20 guy it would look exactly like Silva/Bonnar

The champs are the champs for a reason. Silva's always been significantly better than the rest of the MW division and I have a feeling that it's not going to be any different than Weidman, but it's going to be a different fight than the bonnar one
    you can look at Silva vs. Franklin, Hendo, Marquart, Okami, Forrest and Belfort for more examples of 'not ranked 20'

Plus when Anderson fights a non-top-contender, its in the weightclass above his own.

FEB. 2010
    I don't think weidman gets a lot of hate...people don't know his personality enough to even know what to hate on him for

People just get very worked up whenever Silva gets mentioned for some reason. They don't like it when people say Weidman can beat him because of how many times Silva has dismantled other people that were said to have a shot, and don't think Weidman is even close to being proven enough to be given a legit shot

Truth is tho, no matter who you are, MMA always has new and extremely driven guys coming for you. Weidman has the luxury of being younger, watching past tapes on Silva, and being the perfect stylistic matchup. Does he have a good shot? No. Does he have a shot? Yes.

Should be a fun fight and def one I'd be excited to watch
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    About time this fight got finalized, hoping it stays competitive, but I just have a feeling that the Spider will look great.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • ChickletsChicklets Posts: 168Free
    Silva may Mia his ****...If he doesnt choose to clown him or weidman gains his respect Silva 3rd round TKO
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds...( sig expires march 17/2014)
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    Anderson defending his belt. Bout time.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • johnwhitejohnwhite seaford new yorkPosts: 155Ultimate
    im from long island new york been wating for chris to take this title
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    Pretty awesome that its on July 4th weekend. Would be fitting if an American knocked off the best fighter on earth.

Also glad to see Silva fight someone who isnt seemingly terrified of him. Well I guess we won't know that until they step in the cage, but Wiedman has looked confident throughout this whole process.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,265Free
    edited March 2013

"@arielhelwani: Confirming @LaMonicaMark's report: L. Fertitta has informed Chris Weidman that he will fight Anderson Silva for the 185-pound belt on 7/6."

The question remains did Lorenzo inform Anderson too and did he agree.?
    johnwhite said:

im from long island new york been wating for chris to take this title

You're probably gonna have to wait till Anderson retires then. =))

Im not saying he can't win but it's very unlikely. He matches up well but it's still 5 rounds for Silva to pull off the storm wheathering to matrix finish. From the way Weidman talks he seems to think he's got this reach none of Anderson's opponents have had and he'll be able to keep him at bay and stay in his face till he gets a takedown. If he plays that in the pocket pressure game he's gonna get tooled. He better be WAY outside and somehow draw Andy in much like Maia tried to do or bum rush and clinch right away from the start of every round like Chael and hope he doesn't telegraph his shoot and run right into to anything besides a bodylock, high double or high-C single.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 4,004Free
    edited March 2013
    Silva has 5 rounds to finish a guy with 9 fights who has not experienced any sort of adversity in his fights.

Weidman's toughest test so far has been Maia. No disrespect to one of my fav fighters right now but Maia is no where near as dangerous as Silva and Maia's skillset sadly played to Weidman's strengths.

I give Weidman very little chance to win especially with him talking all kinds of bs.
    Post edited by rodrodMMA92 on

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun