MMA scoring favors wrestling WAY to much...

MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,227Free
Look at the condit fight. Hendricks took him down, ok, but he couldnt do ANYTHING with it. condit kept hitting him and threatening him with submissions. but still the takedowns won him the fight.

that's just ****

condit won that fight.

Tagged:

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,581Free
    He won the last round and that's it. the others were clearly in favour of Hendricks.
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,227Free

He won the last round and that's it. the others were clearly in favour of Hendricks.

i had the first one also for condit tbh

i know it was close, though i would say condit had the edge at the end.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,049Premium
    getting taken down doesn't win fights either. Condit only won rd 3. Johny was winning the standup and being the aggressor with the takedowns in the first two rounds.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    I thought Condit won, but it was close. No complaints either way.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

I thought Condit won, but it was close. No complaints either way.

same here man

it was really close

and i'm not butthurt cause i like hendricks and think he could beat grease and deserves the shot..

but that's just something that i realized in the scoring (that has to be overthought either way)

• SolidStateLogicSolidStateLogic Posts: 4,181Free
    Would agree but Hendricks was winning the stand up, pace and aggression in the first two rounds.
    Overeem - Hari - Spong - Daley - Hardy - Manhoef - A. Silva - Rutten - Diaz Bros
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    Hendricks 29-28 and I could even make a case for a 30-27. No way Condit won
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,797Moderator, Ultimate
    simple answers for simple minds
    Big Rig won
    If you want to stop the wrestlers, stop the takedown OR step your bottom game up
    imageimage
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,803Free
    Normally, I favor wrestling, but I think Condit won the fight 29-28. The last two rounds, Condit did more damage from his back and threatened with submissions and sweeps while Hendricks did literally nothing. The first round was close, but I gave it to Hendricks.
  • AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free

Big Rig won
    If you want to stop the wrestlers, stop the takedown OR step your bottom game up

I disagree. Bjj is a style of fighting too. Even if you're unable to submit your opponent but neutralize his offense and mount some of your own, you're winning the fight. Your comment proves that the scoring system favors wrestling too much. Bjj is apparently useless unless you submit a guy.
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free

Big Rig won

Agreed
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    First round was close, imo, but I gave the fight to Hendricks. Yes, he didn't do much but his ability to control Condit won him that fight. Wish Fightmetrics would get this up to compare. Hopefully Condit fights Diaz again if his diva **** didn't retire, again, lol.

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    edited March 2013
    I agree if ONLY using the CONDIT fight as an example,that was a clear cut case of Condit badly outscoring Hendrick's.The ONLY thing Hendrick's did was a few solid strikes,nothing more tha ngrazing or misses after that.Hendrick's was far worse than GSP ever is on the TD's,he did absolutely NOTHING at all with the TD's.
    One thing to remember however,is when scoring you need to look at every aspect.Sure TD's alone while doing nothing is a weak scoring system,however,you are also controlling the fight,which should factor in heavily on scoring.

I hope EVERYONE who insults GSP,and brags about a future champ in Hendrick's remembers this fight,Hendrick's was TERRIBLE at lay n pray
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,097Free
    zaksame said:

I agree if ONLY using the CONDIT fight as an example,that was a clear cut case of Condit badly outscoring Hendrick's.The ONLY thing Hendrick's did was a few solid strikes,nothing more tha ngrazing or misses after that.Hendrick's was far worse than GSP ever is on the TD's,he did absolutely NOTHING at all with the TD's.
    One thing to remember however,is when scoring you need to look at every aspect.Sure TD's alone while doing nothing is a weak scoring system,however,you are also controlling the fight,which should factor in heavily on scoring.

I hope EVERYONE who insults GSP,and brags about a future champ in Hendrick's remembers this fight,Hendrick's was TERRIBLE at lay n pray

Can't believe I agree with this guy but its the truth. Even GSP did more with his TDs than Hendricks. Terrible stalling & LnP including running backwards. Carlos Condit should have gotten Hendricks FOTN bonus as well.
    GoToGuy said:

First round was close, imo, but I gave the fight to Hendricks. Yes, he didn't do much but his ability to control Condit won him that fight. Wish Fightmetrics would get this up to compare. Hopefully Condit fights Diaz again if his diva **** didn't retire, again, lol.

control him ? lol
    that was my point....he couldnt control him much
    condit got back up fast and did more damage from his back while hendricks didnt do much from the top

• CarlosBelcherCarlosBelcher Posts: 376Free
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,974Free
    Hendricks won. 1st round was clear. 2nd round was closer but Condit didn't do enough to steal it and the 3rd round was clear for Condit. I thought Hendricks got tired and was holding on in the 3rd.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,286Free
    u bias bro

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    This problem will never be solved til the scoring system changes

Getting up from a TD should score just as many points as a TD...its so stupid that the system and its judges don't all think this way...in boxing does a counter right not score as much as a regular str8 right?

Getting up is also controlling where the fight takes place does it not?

Of they cant take away controlling as a form of earning points...I would be for that...why do we ever score that...this is a fight is it not?...what is the point of a fight...is it to win or control?

I promise you and I know everyone would agree...if control is taken out as a way to score we will see a lot more finishes in MMA...on the back side it could lead to more piddy pat strikers....but i dont mind seeing that at all really
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    It was a very tough fight to call. When I watched it the first time I gave it to Condit. Second time I gave it to Hendricks. Great Fight.
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

JBJF is a good poster

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    edited March 2013
    i felt like condit won his fight with hendricks but it was razor close so cant really argue to much. Diaz did better than i thought he would but he certainly lost his fight.

i also thoguht ring won his fight..
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

u bias bro

nah son, just my honest opinion

• edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    condit won 29-28,what a fight though
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,636Free
    29-28 for Henricks was the correct call and I'm glad the judges got it right. Remember - striking, grappling, aggression, and octagon control. It's not just the takedowns, but the latter two of the "big four" judging criteria. If you wanted Condit to win that fight, the rules need to be changed. True, Condit has a great bottom game and a very offensive guard. However, he couldn't do anything at all to stop the takedowns.

Under the current judging/scoring system, Hendricks was the clear winner.
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,803Free
    BruteDion said:

Getting up from a TD should score just as many points as a TD...its so stupid that the system and its judges don't all think this way...in boxing does a counter right not score as much as a regular str8 right?

No, it should not. A takedown in wrestling is worth two points. Getting up after getting taken down is worth one point.

I'd say octagon control was even. Hendricks was controlling when to take Condit down, but as soon as the fight got there, Condit definitely controlled the fight and got it back to their feet. Is that not control as well?

I still think Condit should have won that fight. I'll have to watch it again to see if I'm missing something. I have nothing against Hendricks. I like Hendricks so don't think I'm being biased. I usually find myself defending wrestlers since I am a wrestler myself and think takedowns aren't given enough credit by the fans. Though Hendricks did NOTHING from the takedowns. He didn't control Condit on the ground one bit nor did he land anything substantial. I'll have to watch the fight again.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,240Free
    great thread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    PEople supporting Condit seem to have intelligent discussions as to why he could have won.

Those saying rig won are just saying. 'Johnny won'

Either way Condit it's getting the most praise of any fighter that night.

Take downs are scored too high. But that has been an issue forever, Condit shoulda tried to stop them instead of embarrassing Johnny s grOund game
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • JimmyKrugerJimmyKruger Posts: 548Free
    Condit won the fight IMO.

The scoring system is massively biased toward wrestling for an unknown reason. A TD should count for nothing at all unless it is used to attack successfully.

A TD on its own with no subsequent control or damaged should not be worth any more than a typical jab.