Diaz/GSP, the good and the bad

kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
so now that all the smack has been talked, what did you guys actually think either guy did well or poorly?

for me,

GSP did what he usually does, but it wasn't the best he's ever done it. ive seen some speculation on if he has peaked or if hes getting tired of it, and i actually think that has some merit. aside from the crazy work he puts into his training, he is a champ with a LOT of obligations. furthermore, he doesnt take guys out in 3 minutes and go home without a scratch, he wins by outworking guys for 25 minutes, which must be exhausting, and he takes his lumps too.

on the other hand, i think diaz deserves a lot of credit. diaz did a very good job from the bottom, really making gsp work extremely hard to control him. there were several moments in the first 2 rounds where gsp has to literally drag him down and thats not a nice efficient TD, that burns a lot of energy, so i think diaz deserves credit up to that point of things

from the 3rd round on, i was very confused by diaz. he landed some very good punches towards the end of the 3rd, and was starting to stuff some takedowns. he had a LOT of time standing the rest of the way, and even though i did believe GSP had the better standup, that was the time for diaz to start working his volume boxing game and he just didnt pull the trigger for whatever reason. GSP got off his single shots and set up his takedowns, and the clock ran out on diaz

GSP did great on the top, and did win the standup, but he has to diversify his game. i saw a couple of new things from him, he threw a couple of jumping roundhouses and a nice front kick (all of it missed haha) and there wasnt enough of it, plus i really want to see him put these things together more. you never see more than a 2 move combo from him, and he doesnt use his right hand nearly enough

diaz did great on the bottom, at least in the early going, but did not take advantage of the windows he had on the feet to really put some pressure on GSP

Tagged:

Comments

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    he doesn't even need to try bruh
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Contructive as I can be:

GSP: Did almost everything well. His lack of killer instinct to finish Diaz with a RnC when he had multiple chances was surprising. I would have liked to see more kicks. Diaz is so 1 demensional that you can keep him out of range with them like Bendo did to Nate.

Diaz: Him stuffing a few takedowns was surprising considering I assumed him to get taken down at will. GSP kept it standing way longer than most people expected him too and Diaz did nothing. His so called superior boxing skills looked terrible. Diaz's menatality of "Bang with me bro" is dumb. If he doesn't develop skills other than trash talk he needs to be a boxer.

• kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    GoToGuy said:

Contructive as I can be:

GSP: Did almost everything well. His lack of killer instinct to finish Diaz with a RnC when he had multiple chances was surprising. I would have liked to see more kicks. Diaz is so 1 demensional that you can keep him out of range with them like Bendo did to Nate.

Diaz: Him stuffing a few takedowns was surprising considering I assumed him to get taken down at will. GSP kept it standing way longer than most people expected him too and Diaz did nothing. His so called superior boxing skills looked terrible. Diaz's menatality of "Bang with me bro" is dumb. If he doesn't develop skills other than trash talk he needs to be a boxer.

gsp came out with a really strong low kick and never did it again, i agree about that completely, it made no sense. as far as taking his back, my memory of it was that he went for it a few times and got one hook in and diaz rolled out, so my memory of it was more that diaz did a good job escaping, but your right it definetly was there several times in the first 2 rounds
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    kyo_sa said:

you guys are adorable

I work with what I got
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    I think both could've and should've been more aggressive
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Actually it had NOTHING to do with Diaz at all,it was GSp's lack of game that made him work hard.Diaz gave him his back several times,but instead of taking it or using ANY skill move at all,he chose to drag him down with arm strength,that is liek the poorest technique he could use.
    That is why GSP gets tired,he uses his cardio and arms way too much,more than needed.
    I can use one example that could have made it way simpler and secure a rnc.When Diaz was doing the ridiculous crab walk,gsp should have took his back and used grape vines to take the legs out and control him.

GSp actually has his opponents in easy to finish positions tons of times during all his fights,but he gets so tired wasting energy,he cannot take the chance to go for a move.You could see the first two rounds he was jumping back n forth,at least maintaining good position,but still he was wasting energy needlessly.

IMO he needs a better team,someone to teach him all the ground moves to secure easier wins.IMO he is at the amateur level for utilizing skills,he is fighting with 75% cardio,20% athletics and speed and about 5% smarts.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,045Free
    zaksame said:

Actually it had NOTHING to do with Diaz at all,it was GSp's lack of game that made him work hard.Diaz gave him his back several times,but instead of taking it or using ANY skill move at all,he chose to drag him down with arm strength,that is liek the poorest technique he could use.
    That is why GSP gets tired,he uses his cardio and arms way too much,more than needed.
    I can use one example that could have made it way simpler and secure a rnc.When Diaz was doing the ridiculous crab walk,gsp should have took his back and used grape vines to take the legs out and control him.

GSp actually has his opponents in easy to finish positions tons of times during all his fights,but he gets so tired wasting energy,he cannot take the chance to go for a move.You could see the first two rounds he was jumping back n forth,at least maintaining good position,but still he was wasting energy needlessly.

IMO he needs a better team,someone to teach him all the ground moves to secure easier wins.IMO he is at the amateur level for utilizing skills,he is fighting with 75% cardio,20% athletics and speed and about 5% smarts.

so you seriously think that it's that simple?

wow what a smartass right there.

You could start a fight on Diaz's back and still wouldn't get that choke. Hell. Demian **** Maia couldn't RNC John Fitch and he had his back for 15 minuts.

At high level guys get very used to deal with having their back taken. GSP specifically said in the post fight presser that he didn't want to take Diaz's back too much. He knew that was a waste of time and energy. Holding someone's back taxes your legs alot and against someone with as high BJJ level as Diaz it's almost surely a waste of time. It was obvious in this fight that GSP did not even intend to try to submit Diaz unless maybe he would've hurt him. He's rolled enough to know that trying that with a good grappler is a toss up and that it can last forever without anyone getting tapped.

At a high level, even a locked submission isn't a garantee of a tap. GSP knows, lots of guys who practice BJJ know, and you apparently don't know... I don't know what gives you the impression that you somehow know better than one of the sports best grappler but please.. just stop.. its embarassing..