Chris Camozzi: I won't lower the bar

jdukjduk Posts: 8,296Free
Long read, taken directly from his blog: http://chriscamozzimma.com/profiles/blogs/won-t-lower-the-bar-never-selling-out?xg_source=shorten_twitter

I do not know about the rest of the guys in the sport but my road to the UFC is full of broken bones and a lot of blood sweat and tears. As UFC 158 is upon us I am on the cusp of achieving my dream of fighting on one of the biggest cards of the year.

So that must mean a huge financial windfall right? I mean it is UFC 158, a GSP card, no one is a bigger draw than GSP. The sponsors must have lined up to be a part of this golden opportunity, right? Wrong. Not when so many other fighters and managers in the sport are selling the same opportunity for a fraction of what it is worth.

Don’t worry I am not going to call out anyone in particular for lowering the bar, it was lowered long before UFC 158. PPV walkout tees have gone from a big payday for fighters to essentially non-existent. The fighters do not seem to care about how little they make and it seems like managers don’t either when it comes to sponsorship. This used to be such a big part of the sport. Maybe it is because they did not work as hard as me to get here or maybe it is because they do not work as hard as me for the sponsors outside of the Octagon. Whatever the reason things have gone from bad to worse and I won't contribute. I won’t lower the bar.

Fighters and Managers want to talk about how unionizing the sport is what’s needed. Truth is they are just being lazy and want rules and third parties to set a baseline that they should be working to increase at every opportunity. What product has been commoditized faster than the UFC athlete sponsorship? Even just a couple years ago it was very possible to earn $10K for your walkout shirt alone being featured on the UFC main card yet in 2013 I turned down offers that were in the $3K range for my walkout shirt. You can’t lower the bar and expect better, you can’t be willing to accept less while demanding more.

How is a guy that is complaining about sponsors going to say he turned down money?

I am not complaining about sponsors, I have some great sponsors. I am saying that the fighters that are allowing the bar to be lowered are doing the sport a great disservice. The UFC is one of the biggest names in the Sports world, and you could not buy 30 seconds on your LOCAL cable network for the same price some of my peers are selling sponsorships for. You couldn’t afford to take any executive out to lunch in LA for what some of my peers are selling sponsorships for.

Everyone **** about fighter pay, yet if it wasn’t for the pay from the promotion fighters would be broke. Yet the sponsors depend on us fans. The UFC built the popularity, built the platform and allows us to sell ourselves from the platform.

So for the rest of you guys and all of you who are on your way up, stop diminishing the value of reaching the top. We have a lot to be proud of, the UFC is a HUGE platform that exudes value. Just say no and watch the sponsors pay more. I did. I will take the first stand. I left money on the table, money I need. I did it for you, will you do it for me? Stop lowering the bar, these brands need to be in these events. They paid five to seven figures for PERMISSION to advertise on us, shouldn’t the ads be worth more? If permission is worth $15,000 per fighter than the actual ad is worth what?

Thank you to my sponsors Revgear, Triumph United, Muscle Pharm, Hatebreed, ToolKing.com, InstaLoans, MGR Construction, Alienware and Fulmer Helmets. Thank you to my gym Factory X Muay Thai and my management team at Ingrained Media. Also a big shout out to Frank Edge and Frank's Fight!
- Chris
Tagged:

Comments

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,343Free
    I'm not reading that.

Can u summarize jduk. If you read it.

• Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    _TUF1_ said:

I'm not reading that.

Can u summarize jduk. If you read it.

Basically, that other fighters are accepting too little $ for their sponsorship, thereby lowering the market value on others. The amount a company is willing to spend advertising on a walk out t-shirt deal, isn't as much as it would cost to advertise on a local network.
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

JBJF is a good poster

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,296Free
    fighter sponsorship money has fallen by around 70% in his case, because other fighters are "selling out" and taking less money. Managers don't have their clients best interests at heart, and its only getting worse.
    I see. Camozzi's not the most marketable guy but that's BS. I'm sure the UFC having more fighters and airing all prelims on TV now has something to do with it.

at UFC 137 Camozzi was paid 8k for the actual fight, a UD loss.

Brandon Vera, who was also on the facebook prelims got 120k for his win over Eliot Marshall.

I can clearly understand why he would think he's underpaid
    Bad example imo though ^^^ Camozzi lost, Vera won and Vera has resigned contracts several times and has a name. Camozzi is still fairly green. That said he's due for a big raise. Some big wins this last year.

I agree that its a bad example, it was the most extreme one I could find. But I think it accurately makes the point that there is a huge discrepancy in fighter pay, and that the guys are the bottom are getting royally screwed
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,869Free
    edited March 2013
    camozzi lost to ring imo
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    Chris Camozzi is the most humble down to earth dude in the UFC.

Loved how the back of his shirt said "NEVER SELLING OUT" in big white letters.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    jduk said:

@patster why so gotten to?

he is the most gotten to guy on here bar none, it's a beautiful thing to see a troll so gotten to :).

No fighter should get paid less then $15,000 imo, if you fight twice a year that's enough money to live off. you instead have a situation where guys could make just $16,000 for two fights if they lost both, that's shocking when you think this is the biggest org in MMA.
    He talks about lazy and thinks unions are just for lazy fighters and that sponsors should be forced to pay more.He seems to give the promotion credit for paying anything,right after complaining about fighters lowering the bar on sponsors,HUGE hypocrite.

The REAL problem is that sponsorship should NOT be the livelihood of these fighters,it si the EMPLOYER who should be securing at MINIMUM a decent wage.This job is so volatile,a fighter could be done after only one fight and if he is making 5-15k,he is on the welfare line the rest of the year.
    The UFC is grossly underpaying these guys,they are using them like meat.Thge UFC absolutely needs these guys,there is no way in hell they can afford to pay a full card of top fighters big money.So since they NEED them,they should pay them accordingly,perhaps something closer to 40k minimum and this si why a UNION is needed,top make sure things are at least FAIR and right now they are NOT.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.