Would you prefer more rounds in a Co-Main event?

KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
I wouldn't of minded seeing the majority of the past Co-Mains go 5 rounds unless of course the fight got stopped. I would of loved to of seen how 5 rounds would of panned out w/ "Condit vs Hendricks", "Swanson vs. Porier", "Jackson vs Texeirra" and "Miller vs Lauzon"

Would you prefer more rounds in a Co-Main event?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*

Comments

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I prefer 5-round Co-Main events
    You can't spell "Co-Main Event" w/o "Main Event" anyways. It's sells just like the Main Events anyways and is usually the fight that guarentees a good match up
    Post edited by Keem on
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,259Free
    I would like to see it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

yes, and i will tell you why:

co-main are made for top contenders, and top contenders should fight 5 rounds at some point before a title shot

but it would be important to chose their co-main intelligently, we don't need 50 minutes of lnp

Exactly.

Co-main events might as well be treated like the same thing. It's an introduction to the real thing. Plus all the fights that people would of digged to see go more rounds

Megumi Fuji

or they could make the first round 10 mins in co-mains for nogilista @-)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or they could make the first round 10 mins in co-mains for nogilista @-)

or they could fight like Royce vs Shamrock, no time, no judges ;))
    >:D<

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    4 rounders wouldn't work, too much chance of a #1 contendership fight resulting in a draw is risky. 5 rounders assess a fighter's readiness better, good idea, I like the examples too.
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    No. 5 rounders should be for championship fights only. They never should have changed that for main events in the first place. It takes away from those championship fights
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    did everyone just learn how to make polls? I've never seen so many on the front page
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

No. 5 rounders should be for championship fights only. They never should have changed that for main events in the first place. It takes away from those championship fights

They should make championship fights 10 rounds then......but then I guess that would be kinda unfair because Diaz would never lose

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free

They should make championship fights 10 rounds then......but then I guess that would be kinda unfair because Diaz would never lose
    LOL wut? I don't think Nick Diaz has that many tears inside of him to cry throughout a 10 round fight.

But seriously, these guys can barely go 3, let alone 5. And it's quite perfect, cause it separates the boys from the men. And GSP ain't no pedo, he only touches grown men
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    edited March 2013
    Absolutely ;)
    Post edited by JohnnyZadar on
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,597Free
    All fights should be 5 rounds, why does the Main Event need to have more?

All fights should be 5 rounds, why does the Main Event need to have more?

sometimes the prelims can feel like they take forever when your dieing to see the main event. If a fight.. sucks (for lack of better term) then it could jeoparidize the ppv sell. Co-Main should be longer because people see and anticipate the Co-main close to how much they anticipate the Main. Difference is the Main is generally based off names, and politics. Co-main is always designed to be the ace performance of a card, just in case the Main card can't deliver

Megumi Fuji

• kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    there is a difference between the a, b and c list in the ufc so to speak, and id like to see the A list fights go 5

wouldnt you guys have liked to see 2 more from machida and henderson, condit hendricks? those fights had more to offer, and in my own personal opinion, you really get to see the best guys do their best over 5.

i think its also a good indicator of who the real champs are....take a guy like shogun. i love shogun, but the facts are he comes in less than top shape and gets tired during a 3 round fight.

he has the talent to be a top guy, but not the conditioning and i think it kind of sets a standard as to what level you have to be at to be at the top

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    5 Rounders.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,061Premium
    I prefer what the UFC does now

co-main are made for top contenders, and top contenders should fight 5 rounds at some point before a title shot

but it would be important to chose their co-main intelligently, we don't need 50 minutes of lnp

Put the contenders in a main event on a fuel card or something then. There's no way to guarantee how a fight will turn out. Everyone was expecting fireworks for Rampage/Rachad or Koscheck/Daley etc... Two 25 minute fights is completely unnecessary. Some fights would make fantastic 5 rounders, some 5 rounders should not be 5 rounders. You never know which fights would make great 5 rounders until they happen so making all co mains 5 rounders is pointless.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free
    Well, what if they tried 4-round Co-Main events
    jduk said:

4 rounders wouldn't work, too much chance of a #1 contendership fight resulting in a draw is risky. 5 rounders assess a fighter's readiness better, good idea, I like the examples too.

I didn't think about that. I change my vote to 5 rounds, then.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    If they have all co mains 5 rounders then they would likely have to take a fight off of the main card. The UFC has a certain amount of scheduled run time, they can only schedule enough fights to fit in that time frame.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,267Free
    edited March 2013
    If the Co-Main event specifically has title implications riding on it, then yes I wouldn't mind seeing them be a 5 round fight.

But if this were to sacrifice another fight completely off the card, I wouldn't want it.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free

If they have all co mains 5 rounders then they would likely have to take a fight off of the main card. The UFC has a certain amount of scheduled run time, they can only schedule enough fights to fit in that time frame.

good point dude, i didnt think of that

i wouldnt wanna lose a fight off the card either
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    yes, the more rounds, the better
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

• SuperFightFanSuperFightFan Posts: 40Free
    said it for a long time !! as the sport grows and fighters become more of an althlete they will need to increase the rounds

Championship Main = 7
    Main Non Title = 5
    C0- Mains = 5
    Else = 3
  • AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free
    edited March 2013

Put the contenders in a main event on a fuel card or something then. There's no way to guarantee how a fight will turn out. Everyone was expecting fireworks for Rampage/Rachad or Koscheck/Daley etc... Two 25 minute fights is completely unnecessary. Some fights would make fantastic 5 rounders, some 5 rounders should not be 5 rounders. You never know which fights would make great 5 rounders until they happen so making all co mains 5 rounders is pointless.
    How can you think that as a Shogun fan? Important fights should always be five rounds. Without two extra rounds, Shogun would never had gotten the opportunity to make the Henderson fight so epic.
    Post edited by Ameriman on
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free
    edited March 2013

Who cares? Take a less interesting, less important fight off the card. The UFC almost never uses all of it's allotted time, by the way, because there are so many finishes.

Or, buy more time.
    Post edited by Ameriman on
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure what the cost would be to extend the time but I remember Dana saying that it basically wasn't possible. And if we were to lose one fight on each card then sometimes you would lose fight on the nights that some casual fans would never see. UFC 157's first fight was Koscheck vs Lawler. 156 was Benavidez vs McCall. Also you are giving less fighters screen time which in turns makes them harder to market and would lose the fighters a significant amount of money.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,061Premium
    Ameriman said:

How can you think that as a Shogun fan? Important fights should always be five rounds. Without two extra rounds, Shogun would never had gotten the opportunity to make the Henderson fight so epic.
    Did you even read what I said?!? Shogun and Hendo was the main event and went 5 rounds. What you just posted in no way contradicts what I said. In fact, it reinforces my point.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • trez1336trez1336 Posts: 642Free
    hell try it, if it doesn't work out for whatever reason its not like it would be hard to say yeah this ain't working were going back to 3
    text
  • jpc_ultimatejpc_ultimate Posts: 980Free
    i think longer fights equal more boring fights, because guys will try to keep some gas in the tank and wont go to the finish... look at GSP, one of the best finisher in 3 rd fight... 8 staight decision in 5 rd fights

i think longer fights equal more boring fights, because guys will try to keep some gas in the tank and wont go to the finish... look at GSP, one of the best finisher in 3 rd fight... 8 staight decision in 5 rd fights

I was thinking same thing leading up into the Munoz vs Leben fight which was the 1st 5 round main event and I thought that was going to be the case, but then we got fights like Shogun vs Hendo which is an example of a good 5 rounder and Ellenberger vs Sanchez that would of been the perfect 5 rounder.

Co-main evets like Condit vs Hendrick and Swanson vs Porier should of went 5 rounds, but you can't always get the best fight; just don't let the good ones slip away

Megumi Fuji

• jpc_ultimatejpc_ultimate Posts: 980Free
    Keem said:

I was thinking same thing leading up into the Munoz vs Leben fight which was the 1st 5 round main event and I thought that was going to be the case, but then we got fights like Shogun vs Hendo which is an example of a good 5 rounder and Ellenberger vs Sanchez that would of been the perfect 5 rounder.

Co-main evets like Condit vs Hendrick and Swanson vs Porier should of went 5 rounds, but you can't always get the best fight; just don't let the good ones slip away
    But, when was the last time you saw an entertaining 5 round fight? except hendo shogun.. i think fights like ellenberger sanchez or hendricks condit wouldnt have been the same if it was 5 rd